LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that, in some ways, this season seems to be moving slowly in certain respects, but I guess they’re still setting the stage. I’m super excited about next week’s Richard-centric episode, though! 🙂
I agree on both accounts! 🙂
Good observations. If Jacob and MIB are brothers, maybe their mommy is the island. 😛
Over the years some people (over on the LOST message boards) have suggested that the island is the garden of Eden…and then we have “Adam” and “Eve” (the skeletons at the caves)…so what if Jacob and Flock are brothers and the “children” of “Adam” and “Eve?” I don’t really know where else to go with this, just rambling…
“LaFleur” being the code word in the cop life and Miles being his partner - double awesome. 😃
Yeah, that was cool! 👍
 
I have to say i was blown away by this episode, the best ever in the series in my opinion.

I didnt really like how the Priest was portrayed and how they mentioned forgiveness being “earned” which wrong. but I guess they took poetic license 🤷

The episode itself was awesome tho, i loved richards backstory, jacob showed his mean side which was pretty cool lol
 
I have to say i was blown away by this episode, the best ever in the series in my opinion.

I didnt really like how the Priest was portrayed and how they mentioned forgiveness being “earned” which wrong. but I guess they took poetic license 🤷

The episode itself was awesome tho, i loved richards backstory, jacob showed his mean side which was pretty cool lol
That was a great episode. This season I have been going back and forth, Jacob is bad, Jacob is good… Now, I’m back to Jacob is a good guy.

I’m assuming anyone reading this thread is assumed to have watched all the episodes? I don’t want to spoil anything. I’m jumping into this thread without reading it all…
 
That was a great episode. This season I have been going back and forth, Jacob is bad, Jacob is good… Now, I’m back to Jacob is a good guy.

I’m assuming anyone reading this thread is assumed to have watched all the episodes? I don’t want to spoil anything. I’m jumping into this thread without reading it all…
Yea i was kind of questioning the affiliation of jacob in this episode especially with those evil grins he seemed to have when richard asked if he was the devil. but i think Jacob is good, but i see some flaws in the views it seems he holds since man in black thinks man is at his heart evil and corruptible, does jacob think the opposite? he sorta implied that. But i liked how Jacob and Richard’s relationship resembled that of God and patriarchs of the old testament, how people like Moses were intermediaries between God and His people.
 
Yea i was kind of questioning the affiliation of jacob in this episode especially with those evil grins he seemed to have when richard asked if he was the devil. but i think Jacob is good, but i see some flaws in the views it seems he holds since man in black thinks man is at his heart evil and corruptible, does jacob think the opposite? he sorta implied that. But i liked how Jacob and Richard’s relationship resembled that of God and patriarchs of the old testament, how people like Moses were intermediaries between God and His people.
Yeah, those evil grins. Part of me wonders if the creators did that just to make us think he is bad, but really good ha ha. So, could it be Jacob is an angel sent by God to guard the gates of hell? I’m not sure how that fits theologically, but makes for a good show.
 
but i think Jacob is good
  1. Either the woman Richard saw in the ship was an hallucination or it was really his wife or it was someone impersonating his wife.
  2. Smokey was outside while the woman was inside with him.
  3. If it was someone impersonating his wife then (likely) it was either Jacob or MIB.
  4. If it was MIB then either Jacob can be a Smokey or MIB can be in two places at once.
  5. If it was Jacob then we know Jacob can impersonate dead people.
Sooo, I think Hurley’s visions of dead people are really Jacob manipulating him (like he does to everyone) in order to keep MIB imprisoned.

[SIGN]Jacob is Evil[/SIGN]

VC
 
I also enjoyed tonight’s episode with Richard’s backstory, except for the way the priest was portrayed, withholding forgivness and then selling Ricardo into slavery (I could imagine a Catholic uproar over that). But I suppose that was the plot device that explained why Richard wanted to live forever, because he feared going to hell for his unforgiven sin.
 
I really liked Jacob’s explanation of what the island is: it’s a cork on the bottle that traps evil. Finally, I think we have confirmation of what the island is and the overarching plot of the show.

As such, I think the island is a place where the dead can commune with the living in a limited way. That is the explanation for the whispers that accompany the Others, as well as the ghost that Richard talked with via Hurley. Jacob seems to have the power to heal and extend life and MIB seems to have the power to impersonate the dead. MIB may also have the power to bring back the dead in a limited way, since he promised this to both Sayid and Richard (although that could easily be a lie).

Hands down, this was the best episode of Lost this season. I knew a Richard-centric wouldn’t disappoint. A return to flashbacks was welcome relief and very necessary for the story. I wonder if Richard exists in the alt-timeline.
 
I wasn’t that impressed. The episode spent a lot of time telling us what we knew.

Richard was on the Black Rock when it crashed on the island and he was a slave. Blah blah blah. Big deal. THe good stuff was with Jacob and it wasn’t very much, I heard the cork theory a while ago.

Yawn. I expected to see him throughout the years on the island, and tell a little backstory about who the others were and how they got there.

And here’s something that bothers me. If Jacob is good, and Richard is supposed to be his guy, why did the others do so much bad stuff to people on the island. Whether it be the Army, Dharma people or the Losties, the Others (especially Ethan and that Tom dude) weren’t exactly angels. And then Richard demanded that Locke kill his father. Not exactly the personification of good there. IMO, Richard was more evil than anything.
 
I think the explanation for the Others is already there: Jacob brings people to the island to prove people are not corrupted at heart like MIB thinks they are. Why he does this and why MIB would care is still a mystery. Jacob is also quite passive and states in this episode that he wants people to figure out things for themselves. He respects their free will and choices above all else, while maintaining overall control of the island to keep evil MIB corked on the island. The Others are composed of various survivors who gravitate around Jacob’s liaison: Richard.

Although the Others are given blessings by Jacob and the Island, they are lost in their motivations. They follow Richard’s messages from Jacob but choose how they execute the orders. Mostly, it is through nefarious and underhanded methods. Those are not the ways of Jacob, but since he respects their choices he allows them to do as they will. Jacob is hoping for better.

That being said, I think we’ll see an episode that deals on how the Others first formed around Richard. It will probably be a Charles Widmore centric episode.

I don’t remember Richard ever conveying a command to kill Locke’s father. That was Ben’s order. Richard only gave Locke the file on his father: and that may have been a unilateral decision on Richard’s part since Ben wasn’t aware and was trying to discredit Locke. I don’t think Richard is 100% good.

I think this was a fine episode. Yes, we could easily guess that Richard came on the Black Rock and that the Island was a trap to contain MIB before this episode. But none of us knew the circumstances of how he came to the island, how Richard came to side with Jacob or his exact relationship with Jacob and MIB. I thought the back story was compelling, and it has been something I have wanted to see for years.
 
I wouldn’t be surprised if we fond out that Jacob went to poor Richards house while he was out getting medicine and killed his wife.

VC
 
So, could it be Jacob is an angel sent by God to guard the gates of hell? I’m not sure how that fits theologically
I thought of that too - in Revelation Satan is bound for 1000 years - that kind of thing.
I have to say i was blown away by this episode, the best ever in the series in my opinion.
BEST EPISODE EVER! Hands-down. Awesome acting. Awesome story-line. It was interesting because it seemed like there was WAY more flash-back than the present.

This episode sucked me in so far that twice the phone rang and my wife and I nearly wet ourselves.

I had just finished reading Dante’s Inferno in December so I was intrigued by the idea that the island was hell and had let myself buy in to it until Jacob said it wasn’t.

I loved seeing more of Jacob & Esau (interesting that we still didn’t get his name!) and their interaction. Interesting when he was dunking Richard in the ocean (made me think of baptism - I don’t recall if it was 3 times {might have been 4 though}).

Re: the priest. While it bristled me a bit, I was thinking later, is murder one of those “reserved sins”? Although I would think the ‘danger of death’ would apply to him. Although I’m approaching this with my 21st century mind and don’t know the about the times then.

Oh, and wasn’t the doctor a jerk!
 
The priest was vile. Maybe back then they withheld absolution of murder for the bishop, but it was still wrong to deny it to a penitent man before his death. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s happened at some time in reality though. The priest’s theology was all messed up too. He claimed forgiveness had to be earned through penance and that Richard did not have enough time to do a proper penance for murder. This dialog sure made Catholics look like they believe in salvation by works. I wonder how many non-Catholics will take this seriously. :rolleyes:

Still, this was a fun episode, but I don’t think next week’s will be as good. It’s a Sun and Jin centric episode. Hopefully it will put an end to Sun’s inane dialog:
“Where’s Jin?”
“Have you seen my husband?”
“I don’t understand”
“Where’s my husband?”

Ugh. She was a good character in previous seasons, but I’m getting tired of her. Hopefully she’ll join Team Smoke and get turned into a zombie like Sayid. At least she would be more interesting.
 
Me too.

Who was the woman in the ship??

Richard’s wife?
Jacob?
MIB?

VC
My bet was MIB. I think he was using his wife (or image of his wife) to break Richard down so he would more easily agree to do what MIB says.
 
I was irked by the priest too. I felt it was better when they showed the priest receiving money from the captain. That solidified it for me that he was a rotten evil priest, and not a normal, Holy one. I hope the rest of the audience understood that too, and that ALL sins are forgiven.

Like someone else said, it was just to show that Richard was scared of hell, and felt like he was going there because the priest said he was. He was highly superstitious and this was paramount to understanding why he does what he does in this episode.

I think Jacob is good and MIB is evil. At first it seemed a bit ambiguous, but I think the writers mean to make it obvious to us.

I agree that MIB can impersonate the dead, and Jacob can extend life.
 
Still, this was a fun episode, but I don’t think next week’s will be as good. It’s a Sun and Jin centric episode. Hopefully it will put an end to Sun’s inane dialog:
“Where’s Jin?”
“Have you seen my husband?”
“I don’t understand”
“Where’s my husband?”

Ugh. She was a good character in previous seasons, but I’m getting tired of her. Hopefully she’ll join Team Smoke and get turned into a zombie like Sayid. At least she would be more interesting.
hahahaha I totally agree with you here. My coworkers and I have been SoooOOOoo annoyed by this all season long. Please unite Jin and Sun. It is getting so mundane and silly.
 
My bet was MIB. I think he was using his wife (or image of his wife) to break Richard down so he would more easily agree to do what MIB says.
If it was MIB then you all better watch out. MIB can either be in two places at once (half smoke and half a dead person) or Jacob can be smoke too.

Or did I miss something?
VC
 
If it was MIB then you all better watch out. MIB can either be in two places at once (half smoke and half a dead person) or Jacob can be smoke too.

Or did I miss something?
VC
Yeah, I thought of that… But it makes so much sense (at least to me) for Isabella to be MIB.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top