LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking that may be more comic relief - something Hurley has always been known for. Also, it could be a sincere sense of relief on his part. Think, Jacob is the one who came to him after he left the island, and has also been the one appearing to him all the time and giving him instructions. It seems reasonable that Hurley really thought it would be him, so when Jack volunteered, Hurley was likely satisfied that it was not him. I don’t think it seemed that out of place under these circumstances, but you never know with this show…
True, I didn’t think of all of that. Hurely has been in more of a “leader” role this season and it didn’t look like he was all that comfortable with it.

Yes, comic relief is something Hurley sure does provide. I laughed out loud when Hurley got back from the island, was in his parents house cooking a hot pocket. Then he turned around and saw Ben and lobbed the hot pocket at him (and missed). For some reason that just cracked me up.
 
Tonight’s the night! :bounce: 🍿

Remember the schedule:
  • 7/6c: Recap show (2 hours)
  • 9/8c: “The End”! (2 1/2 hours)
  • 12:05/11:05c: Aloha to LOST with Jimmy Kimmel (1 hour)
Did anyone catch the pilot episode last night? I wasn’t planning on watching it, but then I noticed it was a “pop up” presentation of it, so I did watch it. :o I forget if I already mentioned it, but it’s sort of a neat “full circle” moment as Kate stiches up Jack in the pilot, and Jack stitches up Kate in this past second-to-last episode.
 
So excited! Only hours to go now. I’m going to have some margaritas in some Dharma glasses ready for me and my gf. Can’t wait to the end, even she is excited. :yyeess:
 
Wow! That was an awesome ending. I predicted an alt-universe merge that would bring about consciousness of the 815-crashes universe, but I never saw that that alt-universe was the after-life.

The merge of the universes was handled extremely well, and I am glad that Christian Shepard (ha! the writers did plan this) fittingly appeared to tie everything together in the end near the empty casket.

It was interesting to see that only some people chose to move on to heaven from the holding place (limbo?) in the afterlife. Ben elected to remain behind outside the church and Eloise begged Desmond to leave her son behind. She seemed to have an awareness of the fact that her son could move on, and she feared it. I think it signifies that she was trapped and could not move on with him. Perhaps she, Ben, Widmore and the others who stayed behind were not ready to move on or could not move on due to the bad they did.

In regards to what happened when the nuclear bomb went off in “The Incident” last season, it seems as if it failed to immediately reset the timeline in the living world, but did serve to set in motion the events that would bring together the Losties in death and preserve the life force in the Island from the Smoke Monster.

I tip my hat to the writers on this one. :tiphat:
 
I am disappointed. There I said it. I watched this show the whole time it was on air. And the only thing I am satisfied on is that MIB is dead. Or is he? There is are so many ways they could twist this to come back. And I still feel a lot of questions have gone unanswered.
 
Interesting analysis Maeglin. I’ll be interested to see other takes. I also wonder why Jack had a son in the flash-sideways/purgatory existence. If the bomb failed to re-set the timeline, then did it kill anyone besides Juliette? Lots of questions.
 
Loved the finale. I really couldn’t think of a better way to have ended it.
 
I would guess that Jack’s son does not exist. Jack seems to come to a realization of this when talking to Locke after the operation. He tears up and says “I have to see my son” and runs out the door. It seems that after death, people can live out a seemingly-normal life until they awaken to the fact that they can “move on”. Some people have to work out what they need to work out before moving on (like Ben, assuming he is not trapped and condemned to hell or an eternity in limbo).
 
Hmmmm. The scuttlebutt around the internet is that the island was a kind of purgatory. Really? I don’t understand how they came up with that. That seems like an obvious misreading.

Here’s my take, and I think it answers some of the questions posed above.

Everything in Alt-Universe was some sort of after-life. Or rather, after-life and before-nextlife.

None of that was “real”. It was entirely constructed by the personalities that were present there. It was orchestrated (by them) to get them together, to remember the most important part of their lives and the most important people in their lives.

Everyone in Alt-U was dead. But they all died at different times. Charlie drowned. Ana Lucia got shot. Jack died in the Bamboo forest after saving the island. We don’t know how or when Hurley or Kate or Sawyer etc. died. But, after they all died they were in Alt-U.

All the stuff on the island was real life. A crazy one. The atomic bomb that went off didn’t have anything to do with Alt-U. What it did do was stop the time jumps in the real life island. It didn’t kill Juliet, she just jumped back to the present along with everyone else, but she was still broken from the fall, and she died.

I think it is pretty easy to understand when you look at Hurley and Ben. On island, Hurley became the Protector, and Ben his helper. They lived a long, and I’m sure surreal life on that crazy island. In Alt-U at the Church Hurley told Ben he was a good number 2. They remembered a life we aren’t privy to.

That sound about right?
VC

(ps. maybe some in alt-U had already gone on ahead, and just came back to “Help” the others – like Jack’s dad may have. Maybe Rousseau? Maybe Ben’s daughter? Or. . . maybe those two aren’t ready to go on, just like Ben wasn’t or Faraday wasn’t, or Miles, etc.)
 
I am disappointed. There I said it. I watched this show the whole time it was on air. And the only thing I am satisfied on is that MIB is dead. Or is he? There is are so many ways they could twist this to come back. And I still feel a lot of questions have gone unanswered.
I feel I can finally make a judgment on how season 6 compared to the rest of LOST. The finale was brilliant and could not have been handled better. Having said that, I think the writers squandered a lot of season 6 with uneven pacing and a lack of answers. The answers could have been integrated with the plot better and delivered episode-by-episode up to the finale. I certainly wouldn’t expect all the answers in the last episode, and I wouldn’t expect an answer to every hanging thread because LOST is about interpretation and not getting everything handed to you on a silver platter. Still, too many answers were delivered by exposition (like the answer to what the whispers are) or only barely referenced (like the numbers). Key plot threads were left to die too (what in the world was up with Walt and why was he so special to deserve a kidnapping in S1?).

The pacing was too slow, especially in the plot arc with the Temple. There was a bit too much wandering from one end of the island to the other with teams reforming for no good reason. This was a bit frustrating. If anyone has ever seen Babylon 5 and remembers season 4, that is what I would expect for the pacing of LOST’s final season.

Too much was left hanging in S6 and the pace was too uneven, but the finale redeemed the entire season.
 
Hmmmm. The scuttlebutt around the internet is that the island was a kind of purgatory. Really? I don’t understand how they came up with that. That seems like an obvious misreading.

Here’s my take, and I think it answers some of the questions posed above.

Everything in Alt-Universe was some sort of after-life. Or rather, after-life and before-nextlife.

None of that was “real”. It was entirely constructed by the personalities that were present there. It was orchestrated (by them) to get them together, to remember the most important part of their lives and the most important people in their lives.

Everyone in Alt-U was dead. But they all died at different times. Charlie drowned. Ana Lucia got shot. Jack died in the Bamboo forest after saving the island. We don’t know how or when Hurley or Kate or Sawyer etc. died. But, after they all died they were in Alt-U.

All the stuff on the island was real life. A crazy one. The atomic bomb that went off didn’t have anything to do with Alt-U. What it did do was stop the time jumps in the real life island. It didn’t kill Juliet, she just jumped back to the present along with everyone else, but she was still broken from the fall, and she died.

I think it is pretty easy to understand when you look at Hurley and Ben. On island, Hurley became the Protector, and Ben his helper. They lived a long, and I’m sure surreal life on that crazy island. In Alt-U at the Church Hurley told Ben he was a good number 2. They remembered a life we aren’t privy to.

That sound about right?
VC

(ps. maybe some in alt-U had already gone on ahead, and just came back to “Help” the others – like Jack’s dad may have. Maybe Rousseau? Maybe Ben’s daughter? Or. . . maybe those two aren’t ready to go on, just like Ben wasn’t or Faraday wasn’t, or Miles, etc.)
That’s exactly how I interpreted it VC.
 
So why didn’t Jack say the magic words before Hurley drank the water?
 
I suppose it was the intention that mattered and not the words. Yet it was weird how Jack never seemed to have any supernatural powers like Jacob. He didn’t have any new esoteric knowledge. Perhaps he just never used his powers.

It almost makes me think that whatever special powers Jacob had, died with him and was not passed on to either Jack or Hurley.
 
The funny thing about this show –

The island was real, and it was a really strange place. Statues, wheels, time travel, lights, undying crazy mom’s, numbers, food drops, smoke monsters… all of it. Just real.

I guess you have to take it as it is.

But, the genius was, that they took all those mysterious goings on and overlayed an even MORE mysterious world on top of it. The mystery of the after-life.

All the island stuff just becomes secondary. All of our own lives are mysterious. I mean, I’ve never been chased by a polar bear or kidnapped by a bunch of people wearing fake beards. . . but I’ve had my share of unusual things happen. How all of “this” here, our real life, works is pretty mysterious. And what comes after? Even greater mystery (although much has been revealed to us!).

VC
 
There is still a ton of stuff that isn’t answered, such as what became of the island, what happened to Miles and Richard and the pilot (can’t remember his name) because Kate and Sawyer were also on the exact same plane. What happens to Aaron? Or Sun and Jin’s child? They left so many open ended scenerios, and that’s the stuff I’m disappointed in.
 
There is still a ton of stuff that isn’t answered, such as what became of the island, what happened to Miles and Richard and the pilot (can’t remember his name) because Kate and Sawyer were also on the exact same plane. What happens to Aaron? Or Sun and Jin’s child? They left so many open ended scenerios, and that’s the stuff I’m disappointed in.
Patrice,

They lived and died.

VC
 
That really confused my gf too. In order to understand the alt, you have to realize that time has no distinct linear meaning in the afterlife. The afterlife/alt was just a holding place for Jack and his loved ones to come to an awareness that they had died and gather together before moving on to heaven (the bright light inside the church that Christian shepherds them into).

All of Jack’s loved ones died at different times. Some died on the island like Jack, while others escaped and died many years later (like Sawyer/Kate). Despite this, they could all gather in the afterlife together since time has no meaning in death.

Not every Lostie was ready to move on **or **intimately connected with Jack and his friends. This is why I don’t think people like Lapidus or Aaron moved on with the core group.
 
One question: did I miss Alt-Ben (dead-Ben)'s realization of the memories of the island?

If I did, I suppose it happened LAST episode when Rousseau said he was like a father to the girl? If so, sneaky sneaky writers!

VC
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top