Luminous Mysteries

• Thread starter Thread starter Mt19_26
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think there’s anything intrinically wrong with adding the Luminous Mysteries; the Rosary helps to enlighten one on Scripture.

On the other hand, I’m kind of a traditionalist and have not yet added the Luminous Mysteries to my daily rosaries. As far as I know, none of the mysteries are bound to any particular day of the week. But, I may add them, at some point, when I memorize the meditations.

The Luminous Mysteries are a natural fit with the others. Given the Scriptural base of the Mysteries I find it not only no problem for their inclusion, but a cause for great celebration. From a Catholic perspective there is much “Catholic” teaching in them and so I applaud their inclusion.

I only pray the origional 3 mysteries.

“The Rosary that has been changed, by the insertion of five novel mysteries — not given by Our Lady to Saint Dominic and not part of the tradition of the Rosary. That throws us off kilter. By the way, when you pray the Rosary in its classical model, you pray exactly 153 Hail Mary’s: Three for Faith, Hope and Charity, and 150 because there are ten Hail Mary’s for each of the 15 decades. That 153 number is very significant biblically. In John Chapter 21, it’s the number of fish the Apostles caught in the Sea of Gallilee. It’s also the exact number of days between Our Lady’s first appearance at Fatima in 1917, on May 13, to Her last appearance October 13. That’s 153 days! Pull out a calendar and count for yourself.”

Hold on there plainswolf… the 153 connection, while nice, is not a necessity for either dogma or discipline. Rather, it is merely devotion and that is something that can be changed.

There is no mandate that you must recite the Luminous Mysteries in your rosary devotion. It is merely a logical, practical expansion on the life of Christ. And, my deer plainswolf, that is the entire point of the rosary – to meditate on the life of Christ. The point of the rosary has nothing to do with Fatima in the strictest sense, nor a quasi-protestant numerology scheme devoted to 153. While those accidentals are nice, they are not absolute musts.

If you do not wish to recite them – do not. If you would like to meditate on more of the life of Christ – then do. But, please, don’t lecture us (with exclamation points and admonishments to read a calendar for emphasis mind you) about Fatima and the days associated with it. The beauty of the rosary is that it brings one into meditation on the life of Christ, which gives us a chance to reflect on our own salvation. You are not required to recite them if you don’t want to… just return the favor and grant us the ability to broaden our meditation without a ‘protestantesque’ numerology or out of the norm Fatima connections.

Your best point, however was the one regarding the origin of mysteries we celebrate. Yet, even that is not binding. For goodness sakes the Franciscans and the Servites both recite a differnet rosary than the one you have espoused. Does that make their rosaries invalid or some other such thing since they do not fit into the numerology of Fatima? I don’t think so.

40.png
dcmac:
Hold on there plainswolf… the 153 connection, while nice, is not a necessity for either dogma or discipline. Rather, it is merely devotion and that is something that can be changed.

There is no mandate that you must recite the Luminous Mysteries in your rosary devotion. It is merely a logical, practical expansion on the life of Christ. And, my deer plainswolf, that is the entire point of the rosary – to meditate on the life of Christ. The point of the rosary has nothing to do with Fatima in the strictest sense, nor a quasi-protestant numerology scheme devoted to 153. While those accidentals are nice, they are not absolute musts.

If you do not wish to recite them – do not. If you would like to meditate on more of the life of Christ – then do. But, please, don’t lecture us (with exclamation points and admonishments to read a calendar for emphasis mind you) about Fatima and the days associated with it. The beauty of the rosary is that it brings one into meditation on the life of Christ, which gives us a chance to reflect on our own salvation. You are not required to recite them if you don’t want to… just return the favor and grant us the ability to broaden our meditation without a ‘protestantesque’ numerology or out of the norm Fatima connections.

Your best point, however was the one regarding the origin of mysteries we celebrate. Yet, even that is not binding. For goodness sakes the Franciscans and the Servites both recite a differnet rosary than the one you have espoused. Does that make their rosaries invalid or some other such thing since they do not fit into the numerology of Fatima? I don’t think so.
I think you took my response in the wrong way…

I did not say or imply it was in anyway “Dogma”… just merely pointed out that if 3 mysteries were given by Heaven to Saint Dominic, and if those three mysteries were good enough to work miracles, then they are good enough for me.I merely pointed out that there is significance in the number, and that the Rosary is a particular and special devotion given to us by Our Lady. By Heaven itself. For me, I leave it at that. I in no way said that it is wrong to pray these additional mysteries, only that for many of us they throw us off kilter.

Since Heaven gave us the Rosary, then it can be believed that it is quite sufficient in the manner it was given. So, that is what I stick to.

the Luminous Mysteries were just one of the many gifts to us from JP II.

and they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

They complete the rosary and the life of Christ.

If you haven’t started praying them just ask the Holy Spirit to guide and direct you through them just once and you will be ever grateful.

JPII was indeed inspired by the Holy Spirit when he created the Luminous Misteries. The first time I heard of them they looked so obvious that I was amazed that they hadn’t been created sooner. Besides, they’re in a way a summary of the other three misteries.

:blessyou:

40.png
Augustine:
… JPII was indeed inspired by the Holy Spirit when he created the Luminous Misteries …
Inspired or not, I have to wonder why our Lady did the Luminous Misteries in the rosary and have many generation be exposed to only a part of the rosary.

Sir Knight:
Inspired or not, I have to wonder why our Lady did the Luminous Misteries in the rosary and have many generation be exposed to only a part of the rosary.
Sorry, but I couldn’t understand your point. Care to restate it, please?

TIA

does anyone have a good link on the Luminous Mysteries?

When are they prayed? What are the mysteries? What are the corresponding virtues?

Rich

40.png
gelsbern:
Although I do like the mysteries, I do them as a chaplet rather than add them to the rosary.
Excellent idea! I really, really like that idea. Do you simply pray a Rosary using the Luminous Mysteries? Or do you do it differently?

40.png
plainswolf:
That 153 number is very significant biblically. In John Chapter 21, it’s the number of fish the Apostles caught in the Sea of Gallilee.
You’ll have to forgive my ignorance but I think I must be missing something here… How exactly does one single mention of the number 153 in the Bible make it “very significant biblically”? And what do fish have to do with the rosary? I honestly do not understand why you believe the two have any connection at all.

I agree that numbers can be significant in Scripture but that’s because there is a pattern in the use of those numbers, not just a single usage as in this case.

And yes, I use the Luminous Mysteries. I use them because my pastor told me I should and I always listen to my very wise pastor. 🙂 When he blessed my rosary, he specifically mentioned the Luminous Mysteries and none of the others.
In His love,
Rhonda

40.png
Augustine:
Sorry, but I couldn’t understand your point. Care to restate it, please?

TIA
I believe that when the Blessed Virgin Mary gave us the rosary, she gave us the COMPLETE rosary – otherwise past generations would have been exposed to and praying something that was incomplete and no EARTHLY person (even the Pope) should make changes to what was given from above. Instead, as others have said, I think the Luminous Mysteries should be considered a chaplet rather than add them to the actual rosary itself.

Sir Knight:
I believe that when the Blessed Virgin Mary gave us the rosary, she gave us the COMPLETE rosary.
Well, she confirmed it, but wasn’t it by popular devotion that it came into being, as most were illiterate to recite the 150 Psalms?

Otherwise, I’d appreciate if you’d give a little more information about the originis of the Rosary.

TIA

I definitely believe the Holy Spirit moved JPII to add the Luminous Mysteries. Why now, after all these centuries? Who knows, the Lord works in mysterious ways, and we are in a new age of the Church. Our dearly departed Pope did have a particularly close relationship with Our Lady.

The Rosary is still the ‘Marian Psalter.’ Where once it paralleled the psalms, now it is a kind of culmination. Just like the New Testament to the Old. There is no denying the sense of completeness which the new mysteries bring to this blessed devotion.

40.png
Genesis315:
I love the luminous mysteries. They fill a big gap in the original mysteries: Jesus’ adult life. Now we can meditate on His whole life/death/resurrection.
ME TOO! EXACTLY! YES!

👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back