Male modesty?

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingfish
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I was thinking of Bob Hoskins as he is short and very stocky (brick shaped!) and even when I was 20 yrs younger his hair was receeding and GOD FORBID I ever see him in a pair of Speedos URGH! He looks great in a sharp suit. Yet he has all these qualities: confidence, charm, street smart intelligence, wit, humor and a very strong physical presence that give him a magnetism (well for me anyway :p).

As for modesty I agree with Whatevergirl. Very nicely put. Modesty seems to be about self-respect and respect for others. Disrespectful behavior of any kind is not modest.
 
Y’know, makes me wonder if Jesus was recognized as an Alpha Male?
 
I guess I was thinking of Bob Hoskins as he is short and very stocky (brick shaped!) and even when I was 20 yrs younger his hair was receeding and GOD FORBID I ever see him in a pair of Speedos URGH! He looks great in a sharp suit. Yet he has all these qualiites: confidence, charm, street smart intelligence, wit, humor and a very strong physical presence that give him a magnetism (well for me anyway :p).

As for modesty I agree with Whatevergirl. Very nicely put. Modesty seems to be about self-respect and respect for others. Disrespectful behavior of any kind is not modest.
*Hi kindness 👋

I think modesty and humility are close cousins. To me, it is how both sexes carry themselves. You can take two men, both ''bare chested" (oh my gosh, did I spell that as ‘bear’ above? 😊 lol) one who carries himself with class, and the other…well, carries himself with none. Modesty is about how you project yourself to others. It can be closely tied to dress, or lack thereof…but it’s (to me) closely tied to how people behave, and carry themselves. A man could actually be relatively unattractive, but be classy, witty, etc…and might come off appearing more attractive than the physically appealing guy who spends oodles of time in the gym. Just saying. Woody Allen…he appeals to some. (not me, but some) 😃
 
In our family, my husband follows the same guidelines I do. If we’re going to be where others can see us, he will have down to his knees covered and a shirt with sleeves.
 
This officially gives me an excuse to reveal my major long time crush before I settled for my tall, wholesome American husband.

Bob Hoskins - if you don’t know who he is, he is a short British actor who usually plays gangsters, and other dodgy characters :cool:. He must be getting on a bit now but for much of my teens and twenties he was my perfect man.
Wasn’t he just dreamy in Super Mario Bros? :love: hahaha

 
I’ve read that when we are ovulating we are attracted to men with masculine features, which would suggest those are the men we want to be having sex with when we can get pregnant.

At other times of the cycle we prefer more “feminine” men, which would imply we might want to marry a committed, devoted man, but carry the offspring of the powerful alpha male with the best genes.

Maybe it’s not so surprising that men are preoccupied with controlling women’s sexuality. The non-alpha males would want to avoid having to put in resources to the alpha male’s child, so they try to hide their woman.
I’m always up for the alpha male!

Just sayin… 😃
 
Now I’m back in Europe I am amazed to see the continued popularity of Speedos over here. I would be grateful for a bit more coverage to be honest…:o
Meh… we’re used to them here. Longer, looser shorts enjoyed a brief popularity among boys for a while (rebellion - they wanted to look unlike their grandpas and dads) but it died out. Speedos are simply the most comfortable to swim in.

Do men in speedos excite you?

Part of the reason I have a problem understanding these modesty threads when it comes to swimwear is that I’ve gone to ‘family-friendly’ beaches all my life. Most people I’ve seen in bikinis and speedos were grannies and granpas, fat guys with beer guts, postpartum women, and the like. And a whole lot of nakey kids. 😃

So when you talk about speedos, I tend to imagine a fat guy in his 60s sporting one… and I don’t get what the problem is and why anyone would be tempted :o

Same with bikinis. I don’t know where you find all these irresistibly tempting women wearing them. My first images of bikini-clad women are a postpartum mom with stretchmarks and wrinkled grannies going for a morning swim. And, again, I fail to understand what the problem is. 😉
 
Eh.

I remember from the Bikini thread that someone said “Don’t advertise what you aren’t selling”.

Shouldn’t this apply to men as well?

Plus, you know, occasion to sin. Always a possibility.
 
I did not know male chests and legs had such an impact on women. I always thought it was eyes and personality and sometimes the backside. True. I did! :confused: 😉

Anyway, all this got me to thinking about how swimming costumes have developed over the years (or regressed, depending on your point of view). In the 1800s and early 1900s men and women bathed and swam seperately and both sexes wore full length swimming costumes.In 1907 Australian superstar Annette Kellerman was arrested by Boston Police for swimming in a costume that showed her legs and arms. After that, arms and legs became all the rage. Then along came that famous (infamous?) Australian company Speedo, which introduced the very brief men’s brief which has a colloqial name in Australia. They are called ‘Budgy Smugglers’ because they remind us of would be budgerigar smugglers who stuff these small birds down their pants when they wanted to smuggle them abroad. They certainly leave very little to the imagination. They look utterly rediculous on any male who is not of athletic build, believe me. :eek: Early mens’ briefs had a front skirt, but that has dissapeared.
Now, if one goes to a place like Bondi Beach, girls in very brief bikinis are a dime a dozen and so too are men in budgy smugglers, so really, no one of either sex is leaving much to the imagination of the other sex. The thing is, no one is attacking anyone of the opposite sex either, so maybe this immodesty/modesty debate is a red herring.

Flyingfish asks
I am curious what people think about the idea of bare-chested men on the beach.
Is it immodest and should men cover up? Why or why not? Is modesty determined by cultural convention or what women find attractive (chest/arms are pretty attractive to women)?
As I said, a generation or two ago, bare chested men were considered to be immodest. Today, no-one seems to give a hoot. Men even work bare chested outdoors.

Flyingfish also says
In addition, why do nearly all conversations around modesty devolve into a discussion of women’s dress code with no attention given to what men wear. This is not meant to inspire people to proclaim that men can also be immodest, but more of an exploration of the source for this behavior in people (most clearly exhibited in muslim societies, where men have no modesty standards and women are restricted to the extreme).
I’m not sure that nearly all conversations around modesty pertain to women. In Australia men debate the merits of wearing budgy smugglers. A lot of the debate must surely revolve around context. A string bikini on Bondi Beach is one thing, but a string bikini worn down the street whilst shopping is another. Similarly with men. Tradesmen on the job with bare chests is one thing, but your lawyer sitting in his office with his shirt off is another!! Men can be very critical of one another if what they wear is innapropriate to the occasion.

Flyingfish also asks -
Is it because men have historically been in power and have a biological desire to hide “their women” from other men? Is it because the story of modesty has been told from the perspective of male power, and since men are generally “tempted” by women and not other men the focus has been on what women wear?
Remember that not long ago, both men and women had to cover up and swimwear for both sexes was neck to knee and before that segregation was an added extra. This defeats the notion of men using “power” to force women to cover up. Both mens’ and womens’ swimwear has become briefer and briefer.

Flyingfish did raise one point that is worth exploring, which is, that men might have a biological desire to hide their women from other men. If you go far enough back in time, before the rise of nation states, the safety of all depended on the tribe. Now for many millenia, one tribe would be subjected to raids from another and what was one of the main trophy’s? Why, the women. To snatch women away from one tribe to your own was to gaurantee the success of your tribe. So perhaps a major survival strategy was to make it hard for raiders to distinguish females from males and certainly to make it harder to pick out the women of child bearing age in a smash and grab raid. On the flip side, the women would have wanted their men to be clever, brave and strong, so they would be protected from raiding tribes and kept safe from sabre tooth tigers and whatever else threatened existence way back then. As a matter of fact, I sometimes feel today that some of us testosterone filled men were built for standing guard at the cave entrance, or around the perimeters of the tribal campsite while the vulnerable women slept soundly and kept the camfires alight and to die in the process if need be.
What about the inherent vulnerability of women. Women are not as physically strong as men and in ages past this made them vulnerable. Women get pregnant and when they do they are vulnerable. Now perhaps down through the ages men have used their power to ‘protect’ women because they are vulnerable. Perhaps down through the ages women have selected men who can best keep them safe when they are most vulnerable. In todays society, this ‘need to protect’ is still a part of the male psyche, but is mistakenly labelled as ‘power over women’, or ‘controlling behaviour’.

Of course, society is still evolving and maybe, just maybe, the fears held by both men and women during past aeons have washed away and so today we all feel safe wearing next to nothing on a beach.

And finally, Flyingfish asks,
Would a society where women had been “making the rules” have rules for male modesty but not female modesty, or do women just not care if other women see “their men”?
In light of the fact that only a few generations ago men also had to cover up leads me to ask, “did the men really make all the rules?” Could it be that women also did not want other women to see their men near naked?! 🙂
 
I did not know male chests and legs had such an impact on women. I always thought it was eyes and personality and sometimes the backside. True. I did! :confused: 😉
Haha, probably depends on the woman. Some women do find the male backside attractive, I don’t even look at it. I don’t know about eyes. Face is very important, then it’s the upper body. You can see a guy’s muscles most clearly there.
In todays society, this ‘need to protect’ is still a part of the male psyche, but is mistakenly labelled as ‘power over women’, or ‘controlling behaviour’.
I don’t know. I’m attracted to men who have that biological drive to protect, “stand guard in front of a cave”. Controlling behavior is quite different I would say. I mean, take a look at Muslim societies. The men aren’t protecting women, they are protecting themselves and looking after their own needs to the detriment of women.

I think it’s pretty easy to tell protective apart from controlling, and whether a man is looking out for the woman’s best interest or his own.
 
Perhaps the obvious double standard derives, in a small sense, from the fact that women are generally better at repelling overt sexual advances than men? So it’s probably better that women aren’t as affected visually as men.
 
Haha, probably depends on the woman. Some women do find the male backside attractive, I don’t even look at it. I don’t know about eyes. Face is very important, then it’s the upper body. You can see a guy’s muscles most clearly there.
Well, I always get eyes. Mine are green and maybe they indicate being able to spot an enemy a mile away!? Who knows. You must really be after someone who can stand guard outside the cave. Someone with a good spear throwing arm! Backsides I’m told, indicate good leg power and running ability, so the man can hunt down prey.
I don’t know. I’m attracted to men who have that biological drive to protect, “stand guard in front of a cave”. Controlling behavior is quite different I would say. I mean, take a look at Muslim societies. The men aren’t protecting women, they are protecting themselves and looking after their own needs to the detriment of women.
Maybe Muslim men “think” they are protecting their women?
Maybe western men who are controlling “think” they are protecting their women? I’m only surmising, because I don’t know any men who are controlling towards their women. I know a few who are very possesive of their women in a social context, but I also see that as being protective. Maybe it’s protecting an ‘assett’, but then again maybe it’s protecting something cherished? Another train of thought here… if men are protecting their own interests, aren’t they also protecting the interests of their women? Are the two seperate?
I think it’s pretty easy to tell protective apart from controlling, and whether a man is looking out for the woman’s best interest or his own.
Enlighten me, please.

This is supposedly about male modesty and an exploration of the standards that apply to men and woman. However, it seems to me that modesty codes have changed for both men and woman down through the ages and what was immodest last century is accepted today. The issue seems to be the responses of men towards how women dress. In my last post I mentioned contect. Now, being on a beach with squillions of scantily clad women does not invoke any lustful thoughts on my part and other men have said the same thing here. However, a women in a nightclub in a string bikini would invoke a totally different response. Context is important.
 
Maybe it’s protecting an ‘assett’, but then again maybe it’s protecting something cherished? Another train of thought here… if men are protecting their own interests, aren’t they also protecting the interests of their women? Are the two seperate?
I think we were just using a different definition of “protective”. Yes, Muslim men are protecting their assets. Whether it is their wives or their daughters.

Whether they are protecting themselves from the possibility of having to raise another man’s child, whether they use their “pure” daughters as commodities to be traded with other men, in that case they are being protective.
Enlighten me, please.
Well, I was thinking the kind of “protective” that a woman wants, rather than a man wants. i.e. A man who will do anything to give the woman what she wants and fight for her interests.

They frequently do conflict.
 
Well, I was thinking the kind of “protective” that a woman wants, rather than a man wants. i.e. A man who will do anything to give the woman what she wants and fight for her interests.
They frequently do conflict.
OMG, that phrase sounds like a recipe for slavery, total domination by the female. The poor man will be heard in Church every Sunday repeating his own personal mantra, “God, please don’t let her want a Farrari”. 😦
Then of course he will just have to make sure she doesn’t wear a string bikini to the local pool, in case she meets some dude with a Ferrari. As a matter of fact, he’d probably have to keep her away from all pools and beaches and anywhere else she might meet some dude with a Ferrari. Oh no, that’s controlling behaviour. Drat, 🤷
 
Same with bikinis. I don’t know where you find all these irresistibly tempting women wearing them. My first images of bikini-clad women are a postpartum mom with stretchmarks and wrinkled grannies going for a morning swim. And, again, I fail to understand what the problem is. 😉
My view is similar to yours, but there’s plenty of room in bikinis or beach behaviour for seduction. Some swimsuits *are *made to be “sexy”, some not. Some women will be as innocent as wearing a dress to office, others will be baiting men and fishing for longing looks. Besides, in some cultures men are more sensitive than in others. Not taking a side here, just offering the proverbial two cents, obviously with the caveat that actually intending someone to lust or intending to tempt someone to lust are morally problematic and are sinful if knowledge and will criteria are met. This is something that must be remembered.
 
Hi Whatevergirl 👋 a very happy New Year to you! 🙂

Yes it is true beautiful Bob was in Super Mario Bros and also Rodger Rabbit :yup::rotfl:. I think this probably shows his humility and lack of taking himself too seriously, right? 😉 😛
Do men in speedos excite you?

Quite the opposite. Those Budgie Smugglers are passion killers. Cover up gents! :tanning:
 
OMG, that phrase sounds like a recipe for slavery, total domination by the female. The poor man will be heard in Church every Sunday repeating his own personal mantra, “God, please don’t let her want a Farrari”. 😦
Then of course he will just have to make sure she doesn’t wear a string bikini to the local pool, in case she meets some dude with a Ferrari. As a matter of fact, he’d probably have to keep her away from all pools and beaches and anywhere else she might meet some dude with a Ferrari. Oh no, that’s controlling behaviour. Drat, 🤷
I’m just telling you what is attractive to women. We want men who are strong providers, who do things for us, and who don’t attempt to restrict us in any way. It’s just the way it is.

Just like I’m sure you could tell me what men want. At some point men and women come together and exchange desired goods 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top