Marijuana and Masturbation

  • Thread starter Thread starter AshestoAshes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Equating caffeine with marijuana use just underscores why you can’t stop. You have an addiction. An educated person like yourself should seek to get off this drug. It will NOT energize your spiritual life. Indeed, your physician may be quite disturbed to see that you are mixing this illegal drug with the prescriptions he has approved for your use.
Stop it. Frankly, the rosary puts me to sleep. :rolleyes: Quiet meditation and being truly tired.
Just stop it. If you can’t do it alone, seek the help of your physician.
You “somehow got back to it” because the prince of lies has you believing the ultimate lie.
“just a little bit won’t hurt…it’s for God!”
NO IT’S NOT.
**Stop today. **
Thanks, but I want to reassure that everything is cool. I find marijuana to be just as subtle as caffeine. I’m addicted to LOVE, I can assure you.
 
Although I am neutral about moderate marijuana use by adults (same as alcohol as far as I’m concerned - perhaps safer)… do you self-medicate using marijuana, or did your doctor suggest it? If the latter, this is not healthy.
Where I live we have medical marijuana for those with a medical prescription, which I have.
 
Where I live we have medical marijuana for those with a medical prescription, which I have.
I understand, but did the doctor prescribe it for what you are using it for or for something else entirely?
 
I understand, but did the doctor prescribe it for what you are using it for or for something else entirely?
I would not say it was for something else entirely, but something very much related. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow and if I remember I’ll ask.

If you felt 100% certain that pot was increasing your love of God, would you not take it?
 
I would not say it was for something else entirely, but something very much related. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow and if I remember I’ll ask.

If you felt 100% certain that pot was increasing your love of God, would you not take it?
Absolutely not, as I would never desire that my love for God become dependent on a temporal thing. What you seem to be speaking of is a kind of “addiction” to the consolations of love and heavenly union, which all the saints universally condemned. The greatest saints and mystics all agree that we should love God for the sake of loving Him, not because we FEEL any one thing in particular. I can assure you that God does not desire that your love for Him is in any way dependent on a drug.
 
I would not say it was for something else entirely, but something very much related. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow and if I remember I’ll ask.

If you felt 100% certain that pot was increasing your love of God, would you not take it?
That “certainty” is an illusion my friend.
Nowhere in Scripture does God advance the use of drugs for enlightenment or as a vehicle for His grace.
You should know this.
The billion of people in the world who have a relationship with God have no need for anything but the desire to be close to God.
 
Absolutely not, as I would never desire that my love for God become dependent on a temporal thing. What you seem to be speaking of is a kind of “addiction” to the consolations of love and heavenly union, which all the saints universally condemned. The greatest saints and mystics all agree that we should love God for the sake of loving Him, not because we FEEL any one thing in particular. I can assure you that God does not desire that your love for Him is in any way dependent on a drug.
No difference for me between caffeine and pot. Both promote my loving God with increased strength.
 
Is this idea of restricting sexual intercourse to times when the intent is to create a baby a personal belief of yours? Do you acknowledge that the Church does not teach such a restriction, and in fact recognises purposes for intercourse in addition to procreation?
I’m talking about:
Intercourse.is.for marriage.
Contraception is forbidden.
Abortion is murder.
Masturbation and sodomy are forbidden.

Catholic catechesis
 
No difference for me between caffeine and pot. Both promote my loving God with increased strength.
There is a huge difference.
You are deluding yourself.

God desires your true self…not one altered by drugs.
That would be a false presentation of self, don’t you think?
 
There is a huge difference.
Such as…?
You are deluding yourself.
Only God would know that for sure. I thank you for caring!
God desires your true self…not one altered by drugs.
God commands that we love Him with all our soul, heart, mind and strength. If a cup of coffee facilitates my ability to love God, I’m surely going to drink the coffee! Same reasoning goes for pot.
That would be a false presentation of self, don’t you think?
Pot does not alter the self, but affects my awareness of God.
 
Such as…?
Only God would know that for sure. I thank you for caring!

God commands that we love Him with all our soul, heart, mind and strength. If a cup of coffee facilitates my ability to love God, I’m surely going to drink the coffee! Same reasoning goes for pot.
Pot does not alter the self, but affects my awareness of God.
I’m sorry. Your answers all have the distinctive belligerence of an addict.
You’re in our prayers.
 
So, from reading everyone’s response, I am getting that masturbation is always a sin.

Well, one problem I have is that masturbation is never directly stated in the bible. If anything is held a such a high level that it can send you to hell, don’t you think that Jesus or God would have explicitly talked? He’s not subtle about murder nor does He let us use context clues to decided whether or not it is a sin. Murder is a sin, as stated in directly in His word. However, for masturbation, we are only left with context clues. I have read the catechism along with others’ reasoning for it being a mortal sin. It just doesn’t seem right that something could send you to hell, yet not be mentioned by God. I mean, for example, it says lusting after another woman WHILE MARRIED is a sin. Makes sense. Masturbating while single can send me to hell? Sure, it’s selfish, but so is taking the last piece of cake even though you’ve already had your share. Yet, that will not send you to hell if you do not confess it. I don’t understand what makes it grave matter? It cuts you off from God. Okay, but how? It distorts the purpose of sex. I’m not having sex with anyone. I have no one to have sex with. So, I am not distorting the purpose of sex. Sex is between at least two people. If I am alone, how can it still be considered sex? The Church decided it was a sin using context clues. What if I disagree with the Church?

As for the marijuana issues; if you get high off of it intentionally, it is a sin. But none of you answered my question specifically. If I smoked it, yet did not get high and I used it for the purpose of pain relief, have I committed a mortal sin? Let’s say it’s illegal where I am. So, I committed a sin by breaking the law. But, let’s say it is legal. Then what?
 
So, from reading everyone’s response, I am getting that masturbation is always a sin.

Well, one problem I have is that masturbation is never directly stated in the bible. If anything is held a such a high level that it can send you to hell, don’t you think that Jesus or God would have explicitly talked? He’s not subtle about murder nor does He let us use context clues to decided whether or not it is a sin. Murder is a sin, as stated in directly in His word. However, for masturbation, we are only left with context clues. I have read the catechism along with others’ reasoning for it being a mortal sin. It just doesn’t seem right that something could send you to hell, yet not be mentioned by God. I mean, for example, it says lusting after another woman WHILE MARRIED is a sin. Makes sense. Masturbating while single can send me to hell? Sure, it’s selfish, but so is taking the last piece of cake even though you’ve already had your share. Yet, that will not send you to hell if you do not confess it. I don’t understand what makes it grave matter? It cuts you off from God. Okay, but how? It distorts the purpose of sex. I’m not having sex with anyone. I have no one to have sex with. So, I am not distorting the purpose of sex. Sex is between at least two people. If I am alone, how can it still be considered sex? The Church decided it was a sin using context clues. What if I disagree with the Church?
Can you elaborate on the ‘context clues’ used by the Church in its teaching? What are they?
As for the marijuana issues; if you get high off of it intentionally, it is a sin. But none of you answered my question specifically. If I smoked it, yet did not get high and I used it for the purpose of pain relief, have I committed a mortal sin? … let’s say it is legal. Then what?
If the substance is used under medical guidance, for a medical condition, I don’t see a basis for it to be sinful. I don’t believe the ingestion of the relevant chemical is itself an intrinsic evil.
 
What is mean by context clues is when one says masturbation is a sin, they say it is because God states that ‘sex is between husband and wife’. Masturbation isn’t sex, period. What I also mean is that masturbation is not mentioned in the bible, at all. So any ‘proof’ we have against masturbation is purely assumed or just having someone call it adultery despite the fact that not everyone is married. Also, for example, people will quote Galatians 5:19-21. However, that never speaks of masturbation. People automatically place masturbation under the sixth commandment, for no reason
 
What is mean by context clues is when one says masturbation is a sin, they say it is because God states that ‘sex is between husband and wife’. Masturbation isn’t sex, period. What I also mean is that masturbation is not mentioned in the bible, at all. So any ‘proof’ we have against masturbation is purely assumed or just having someone call it adultery despite the fact that not everyone is married. Also, for example, people will quote Galatians 5:19-21. However, that never speaks of masturbation. People automatically place masturbation under the sixth commandment, for no reason
Where do you draw the line between right and wrong in this area?
  • masturbation alone;
  • masturbation in the presence of another (perhaps acting similarly);
  • masturbation where the other touches you, and you they;
  • simulated sex act with another (non-penetrative);
  • sexual intercourse (unmarried persons).
It seems to me they are essentially a continuum. What is intended for marriage is claimed as a right outside the context of marriage.
 
WOW, i don’t know one priest who would condemn a young person in the manner of your post . I see that you are a new Catholic so strict rules and dogma are easy to preach. We are having problems with young people leaving the Faith and rule driven hellfire and brimstone answers tend to exacerbate the problem. Kids who are not very familiar with the CCC will not equate masturbation or sex outside of marriage to be a mortal sin, especially when they realize that murder has the same consequences. Sometimes you catch more bees with honey rather than vinegar! I’m sure your heart was in the right place , BTW!:rolleyes:
However, we do also need to be careful not to present things as not being sinful, when they actually are. The bottom line is that masturbation is considered by the Church to be grave matter. Issues regarding full knowledge and deliberate consent then also come into play, to determine whether or not grave matter translates to mortal sin or venial sin.

Yes we have lots of kids leaving the Church, but the answer to this is not to mislead them into thinking that sins that are indeed very sinful are really not such a big deal. That really is a very dangerous game to play.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top