Actually …] If I have to be very blunt about what I think, I think you are engaging in wishful thinking about what the effects on children will be. I think you don’t want it to hurt them, so you are (not deliberately) underestimating the likelihood of harm.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I sincerely don’t believe you’re right about us on this. I could say something about how you yourself could be biased, too, but that wouldn’t be fruitful either. Suffice to say that we just have different opinions here, with no need of suggesting that one side or the other must be wearing blinders (intentionally or otherwise) in order to hold his/her opinion.
First, by changing the question, “Should I talk about my sexual attraction in public” to “Should I be prevented from telling even people I know well about it,” you have drastically changed the argument.
But I’m not changing it to what you say I am. I’m proposing that, whether one knows people well or not, this shouldn’t necessarily be something that people feel the need to hide, as though it’s some sort of grave taboo if others, even the (local) public, should find out about it, whatever the means of the revelation (whether you reveal it yourself or it’s revealed in some other manner).
Second, is SSA so very unlike everything else, that …] only that one has to be talked about or else it’s just too much psychological work?
Here’s an example where being (at least relatively) open can be helpful: I once had a close friend that, only after having grown very attached to him but without having revealed the SSA, I was given strong reason to believe that he found men with SSA disgusting. I would rather, much rather, have just had him reject me when he had only been a passing acquaintance than to be stuck in a situation where I knew that, IF he knew this part of me, he would reject me after I was already attached to him. According to the “don’t tell anyone but close friends” logic, it would have been wrong for me to “weed out” the potential friends who would reject me if they knew this about me. I feel I have every right to try to choose friends who will accept me even with all my faults and temptations, and frankly a part of that is being able to be open with those friends when they are merely acquaintances, before I’m too attached.
…]since my divorce several years ago, I haven’t had companionship of that sort with anyone, which I miss, sometimes intensely.
You have my sincerest condolences on your pain. That’s really all I can say, and my heart really does go out to you, regardless of our disagreements here.
Frankly, it does seem that your SSA is a large part of your life and your general mindset. …] Perhaps men have to talk about sex a lot?
But it’s not about “talking about sex.” And it’s not about SSA being disproportionately a large part of my life. Some of the things I wrote above, among other things, are more the reason that the SSA plays a prominent role. It’s not the center of my life, but it IS there, and it does impact things, in spite of its being only one aspect of my life. It’s that impact, rather than the SSA in itself or its sexual aspect, that makes it play a large role in my life.
I would like to have the right not to have to talk about the sexual attractions (of whatever sort) of my aquaintances
But nobody here is suggesting anything that would unduly force it on you. Nobody here is suggesting billboards or walking around with a megaphone. Even Prodigal_Son’s hypothetical book idea involves something you could choose not to read, if the topic repels you so much. And I don’t believe that Prodigal_Son is even talking about making sure to spearhead every conversation with an acquaintance into this topic; rather, he’s suggesting a more matter-of-fact approach to it, the way you might approach a controversial political opinion: You wouldn’t tell every individual acquaintance about it without testing the waters a little to see if they were receptive to talking about it, but you wouldn’t “hide” it either, you wouldn’t be sure to implore those who knew to “not tell anyone,” nor would you necessarily refuse to ever reveal it in a somewhat public way.
If you’d be willing to be public with the information now, why would you be less willing at some future time, in the EXTREMELY improbable event that it came out?
For the same reason that it’s safe to try to test your wings from ground level; if they don’t work, you’ll just fall flat of your face. Try to test your wings when you’re already suspended in the air, however, and a failure will end up as a much more fatal affair. Likewise, it will cause much more scandal and heartache if a person’s SSA is revealed AFTER they’re involved in some high profile ministry than if it was known all along from the start, when the worst that could happen is that the person wouldn’t get their foot in the door in the first place.
You have accidentally created a strawman here.
But I haven’t; I wasn’t saying you meant “never tell the children at any age,” but rather that such damage could already be done by the age you seem to find “safe.” By age 15, a child with SSA might not already have a string of gay relationships behind him, but he could indeed have absorbed all kinds of attitudes about how the only way to not be alone is to go ahead and join the gay cause, or conversely, about how disgusting and vile he is for even having SSA. I know from experience that attitudes along these lines take very few years, if not mere months, to absorb deeply if you started out without knowing you had somewhere safer and purer to turn to find someone who understands.