Martin Luther your own personal views on him?

  • Thread starter Thread starter englands123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

englands123

Guest
I know recently the Pope made him a Saint but some of his teachings towards the end was quite personal.
 
Last edited:
Am I wrong ? If so sorry , I thought the Pope made him a Saint.
 
No, the Pope did nothing of the sort, and Martin Luther will never be canonized.
 
Last edited:
But, not to mean he is not a saint. Canonization is like entry into the Catholic version of the Hall of Fame. The Church Triumphant has many more saints than the relatively few who have ben Canonized by the Church.

He may very well have entered into, or will at a later date enter through the grace of God, into the eternal Beatific vision.
 
Last edited:
No. The Pope did not make him a saint. I highly doubt very very much he will ever be canonized a saint in the Catholic Church.
The problems and confusion he started in the Church are still ongoing throughout Christianity.
We can pray for his soul.
 
Last edited:
Popes do not make non-Catholics into saints, even if they were good people. It is unclear whether Martin Luther was a good person. In any event, Martin Luther will never be made a saint because he created a heretical schism and caused great damage to the Church.

I personally think he may have started out with good intentions, but it quickly became all about him and his ego. As said above we can pray for his soul.
 
Last edited:
@MagdalenaRita and @Tis_Bearself, I was actually thinking about starting a thread asking if it is appropriate/permissible for Catholics to pray for Luther’s soul.

My maturation as a theological thinker was at Luther’s feet, and I partly credit my desire to return to the Church to his writings.

Honestly, Luther has long been a tragic figure in my mind. Due to my own experience, I have to wonder if a big ego is the sign of certain deep-seated insecurities.
 
Not even Lutherans will touch the guy with the ten-foot pole. The Catholic Church definitely didn’t make him a saint! 😊
 
@MagdalenaRita and @Tis_Bearself, I was actually thinking about starting a thread asking if it is appropriate/permissible for Catholics to pray for Luther’s soul.

My maturation as a theological thinker was at Luther’s feet, and I partly credit my desire to return to the Church to his writings.

Honestly, Luther has long been a tragic figure in my mind. Due to my own experience, I have to wonder if a big ego is the sign of certain deep-seated insecurities.
I can’t think of many people who need prayers more than him. Go for it!
 
He is not a Saint. Some popes have recently acknowledged the Church at the time wasn’t in a no fault state in the Protestant Revolution, but he is still an excommunicated heretic. Reform is fine and needed always. Saint Teresa of Avila is a good role model for a true reformer.
 
Last edited:
Sudden thought - OP, are you perhaps thinking of Martin Luther King? He hasn’t been made a saint either, but it would make a tiny bit more sense than the 16th century Martin Luther.
 
LOL, that is the greatest article I’ve ever read. It’s an April Fools joke 🤣
 
I would say a lot better for the West. Not so good for the Orthodox Churches. Imagine a unified Western Church. What a dream 🥳
 
And then there is the document name at the ending of the first paragraph - Stultus Aprilis.
 
I’ve searched but found no evidence online of Martin being a Saint. As you have all said.

Being a Catholic and knowing Martins teaching to be incorrect… But does that justify the large frustration shown towards him at the time and past centuries…

It’s a real shame as there is little doubt he loved The Lord.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top