Medieval Peasant Catechesis

  • Thread starter Thread starter Donald_S
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
True and St Bernadette was kept from receiving her 1st Holy Communion until she was 14 years of age.

Heaven seems to have rejected this and gave her a gift that we celebrate to this day, the visitation of Our Blessed Mother
 
Last edited:
I don’t know, because I am not attacking you at all. You did, however, make a few generalized comments about Christianity and its history and building, which in Europe basically occurred between AD 33 to its ultimate flowering in the 15th century before the Reformation in the 16th. Your contentions about classical Latin and how the Latin liturgy was not understood etc. are not borne out by a historical overview of Europe during the period. And with regard to St. Theresa in particular, with the Reformation going in Europe during the time period you reference, was it any wonder that Spain, which had just seen the last of the Moors in 1492, the very end of the 15th century, and seeing the depradations going in with France and the Hugenots and the Tudors and England’s Protestantizing, along with Calvin’s work in Geneva and Germany/Austria, would want to keep to the historical language of Latin in that 100 year period during which Theresa lived?
 
Sorry if I mistook your posts.

However, I believe I only referred to the time of St Teresa of Avila in Spain, 1500’s and I did mention the reason why Latin was the only acceptable translation of the Bible in that time in Spain. I even provided the reference from the Collected Works of St Teresa of Avila. Well, I believe it was in this thread, but I could be having a senior moment. 😃 .

33 AD, Latin was a more common language in the West and why the Church moved toward translating Scripture into Latin and making it an official language. Upset the Greeks in the East, but that’s another story.😃
 
Last edited:
Hyperbolic to prove a point. It is still twisted more than it is understood correctly. By itself, it may have value, it may not. Teaching and interpretation make all the difference.
 
So, it cannot be twisted?

Every major item you own has an instruction manual. Yet, they offer an 800 tech line.

Why is that?
 
So, it cannot be twisted?

Every major item you own has an instruction manual. Yet, they offer an 800 tech line.

Why is that?
I am not following your point at all, can you please restate it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top