Meet the Press Sunday

• Thread starter Thread starter Fitz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Brad:
I subscribe to First Things. I know it has a heavy Catholic leaning with Fr. Neuhaus etc. but I also know there are Protestants and Jews on board as well. I’m just unsure of Bottum’s faith. Does it say on the website?
Oops! I guess I just assumed he was Catholic. I don’t really know if say’s anything about it on the websight.
I thought he did a good job on meet the press though.

40.png
Yonnie:
Oops! I guess I just assumed he was Catholic. I don’t really know if say’s anything about it on the websight.
I thought he did a good job on meet the press though.
Your assumption is probably correct. It seems Russert had all “Catholics” there. In this confused world, sometimes it is hard to tell.

I’m getting so I can’t take it anymore. I switched channels when whoever was talking about rule by the layity…I said out loud to my husband that they want to turn us into Congregationalism !

It’s too bad, Russert is usually pretty good but he’d best stick to politics. Most everyone on TV is out of their depth when it comes to religion.

I thought Fessio choked too. Seemed like there was an early question from Russert, what will B16 stand for, or something, and I think it was Fessio who couldn’t seem to answer clearly. I wanted to shout, the 10 commandments! the catechism! the creed! sheesh…

40.png
caroljm36:
I’m getting so I can’t take it anymore. I switched channels when whoever was talking about rule by the layity…I said out loud to my husband that they want to turn us into Congregationalism !

It’s too bad, Russert is usually pretty good but he’d best stick to politics. Most everyone on TV is out of their depth when it comes to religion.

I thought Fessio choked too. Seemed like there was an early question from Russert, what will B16 stand for, or something, and I think it was Fessio who couldn’t seem to answer clearly. I wanted to shout, the 10 commandments! the catechism! the creed! sheesh…
I think Fr. Fessio did a much better job than we’ve seen from a priest in the national media in eons, aside from Fr. Pavone. He couldn’t mention Jesus enough. He clearly stated Church teaching on several issues including ordination of priests. You have to remember the limited time they get and how they are purposely thrown off by questions. That aside, he still did a fabulous job. I don’t understand why anyone is criticizing him.

My impressions:

Russert came off looking like a pompus liberal Democrat party hack cafeteria catholic, still whining about Kerry not getting the catholic vote because the prefect for the Congregartion for the Doctrine of the Faith reminded bishiops in America what is required for worthy reception of communion.

Cahill came off looking like a shrill mean spirited fool, typical NT Times kind of writer.

The nun came off looking like part of the fading Lite Brigade, very pathetic.

The two priests were terriffic.

40.png
TPJCatholic:
BRad,
I think Russert looked very angry that Father Fessio did not give him the quick response he wanted. People say Russert is one of the best, yet from my view he was merely setting up the faith in that discussion.
Russert seems like a nice person, but I did see in this case that he was impatient and setting up Fr. Fessio for failure to be able to answer quick enough.

40.png
condan:
In short, Thomas Cahill is a fool.
True! And some would call him a heretic: “A person who obstinately holds to a view that is contrary to one or more of the fundamental beliefs (dogmas) of the Church; it is not mere error, but obstinate holding to the error.”

fitz,

I think Russert tries to be tough during his interviews and panel discussions, sometimes it works, in this case I feel he looked angry and frustrated with the fact that the two Priests were not playing the way he wanted.

The transcript is out. I thought that Bottums had the best little sound bite and comeback to Cahill.

**BOTTOM ROCKS:

MR. RUSSERT: You would have married priests, female priests?

MR. CAHILL: I would have what the church would like to have, what the church would wish to have. I believe the church, that is to say, the people of God, the assembly, has not been consulted on these matters.

MR. RUSSERT: Jody Bottum?

MR. BOTTUM: I’m not sure that there’s any solution in all of that. Certainly the Anglicans have it all. The Lutherans have it all. And, you know, if the Catholic churches in Europe are empty, if only 23 percent of Catholics in England, mostly Irish immigrants, are in church on a Sunday, only 4 percent of Anglicans in the national country are in church on a Sunday. So I’m not sure that’s any solution to the problems the church faces internally. But more, I’m not sure it’s any solution to the problem the church faces addressing the concerns that arise in a democratic experiment like the United States. We have characteristic abuses, as I said, that are going to happen in these places. And the church needs to be to some degree countercultural, to stand against that and to speak out and say, “We can’t kill our babies,” or to speak out on economic issues. You know, one of the great problems here is that in that litany, for instance, that Mr. Cahill gave, of things that he wants, only the very last item and that understated a hint of Marxism had anything to do with economics. The great narrowing of the liberal tradition has come down to almost all having to do with sex and gender. One of the great underreported facts about the new pope is that he actually stands to the left of his predecessor on economic issues. He came out of Germany where they always thought they were going to split the difference between Marxism and capitalism anyway…

msnbc.msn.com/id/7619740/

OTH I was not impressed by REV. BOHLIN.
He was on shakey ground here but I could be wrong.

REV. BOHLIN: Well, one has to understand what that phrase means, that all salvation comes through Christ, which is a mysterious thing. All salvation comes through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. And it can come through many ways, the church has always taught, because many people do not have access to Christ, the full teaching of Christ, but all salvation is through Christ, through his mercy, through the grace that he won for dying for us on the cross. But it’s applied by God in mysterious ways to many people. And the Holy Father John Paul II always saw man as the way of the church: the great truth that’s in each person created by God. There’s a great truth. And there’s a certain truth in every culture. What he wanted to do was to build on cultures, to build on the good in every society. And there’s a spark of the divine, spark of God, in every religion, in every man’s search for God, every culture’s search for God. And he saw that goodness there and he wanted to build on that. And that’s what we have to do, and I think this new pope is going to do it too, to reach out and to build on the good that’s in every culture, but at the same time to point out the evils, to point out the things that are not leading in the right direction. And he has to say that clearly.

MR. RUSSERT: But if you are, in fact, Hindu or Buddhist or Muslim or Jewish or Protestant or whatever, and you live a good and decent and honorable life, you can achieve salvation?

REV. BOHLIN: True. This is what the church has always taught.

MR. RUSSERT: Not always.

REV. BOHLIN: Well, it depends how you understand it–how you understand it. It was clarified in Vatican II, but it’s been the teaching of the church.

Oh well. Who needs the Eucharist.

Gabriel Gale:
OTH I was not impressed by REV. BOHLIN.
He was on shakey ground here but I could be wrong.

REV. BOHLIN: Well, one has to understand what that phrase means, that all salvation comes through Christ, which is a mysterious thing. All salvation comes through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. And it can come through many ways, the church has always taught, because many people do not have access to Christ, the full teaching of Christ, but all salvation is through Christ, through his mercy, through the grace that he won for dying for us on the cross. But it’s applied by God in mysterious ways to many people. And the Holy Father John Paul II always saw man as the way of the church: the great truth that’s in each person created by God. There’s a great truth. And there’s a certain truth in every culture. What he wanted to do was to build on cultures, to build on the good in every society. And there’s a spark of the divine, spark of God, in every religion, in every man’s search for God, every culture’s search for God. And he saw that goodness there and he wanted to build on that. And that’s what we have to do, and I think this new pope is going to do it too, to reach out and to build on the good that’s in every culture, but at the same time to point out the evils, to point out the things that are not leading in the right direction. And he has to say that clearly.

MR. RUSSERT: But if you are, in fact, Hindu or Buddhist or Muslim or Jewish or Protestant or whatever, and you live a good and decent and honorable life, you can achieve salvation?

REV. BOHLIN: True. This is what the church has always taught.

MR. RUSSERT: Not always.

REV. BOHLIN: Well, it depends how you understand it–how you understand it. It was clarified in Vatican II, but it’s been the teaching of the church.

Oh well. Who needs the Eucharist.
He did a fairly good job except for this line of questioning. He was completely out of his element and sandwiched between 2 enormous dissenters. In effect, what he said wasn’t false but it is exactly what Russert was looking for to compromise the one true faith. The problem is that soundbites don’t give enough time for explanation.

40.png
Brad:
He did a fairly good job except for this line of questioning. He was completely out of his element and sandwiched between 2 enormous dissenters. In effect, what he said wasn’t false but it is exactly what Russert was looking for to compromise the one true faith. The problem is that soundbites don’t give enough time for explanation.
It is really difficult when trying to be politically correct, tolerant, and ecumenical and still tell the truth.

40.png
buffalo:
It is really difficult when trying to be politically correct, tolerant, and ecumenical and still tell the truth.
I don’t think that was his intention as much as it may have appeared. He did a pretty good job in his other comments. It’s easier said than done. We’ve got to cut a little slack here.

It always comes down to issues of genital sexuality and gender. A real broken record.

40.png
Brad:
I don’t think that was his intention as much as it may have appeared. He did a pretty good job in his other comments. It’s easier said than done. We’ve got to cut a little slack here.
I have. He was definitely in the enemy’s camp.

40.png
buffalo:
I have. He was definitely in the enemy’s camp.
I wouldn’t say that at all. I can go down the street and find someone that is in the enemy’s camp. I’ve seen the enemy face to face and he isn’t it. He mentioned several truths regarding Jesus Christ. I think you are making a rash judgement unless you have additional information regarding him besides this interview. Better energy would be spent on refuting Cahill, Sister, and Mr. Newsweek than beating up on this priest.

40.png
Brad:
I wouldn’t say that at all. I can go down the street and find someone that is in the enemy’s camp. I’ve seen the enemy face to face and he isn’t it. He mentioned several truths regarding Jesus Christ. I think you are making a rash judgement unless you have additional information regarding him besides this interview. Better energy would be spent on refuting Cahill, Sister, and Mr. Newsweek than beating up on this priest.
You misunderstand. I support him. I meant he was surrounded by the enemy.

40.png
buffalo:
You misunderstand. I support him. I meant he was surrounded by the enemy.
Gotcha. My apologies. I was wondering what was going on. Misunderstanding is much better than the alternative. Thanks!

I thought sister was restrained compared to many nuns who make it to TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back