Mental Illness & Spirituality

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suffer from frequent depression among other things and am a practicing Catholic trying (with God’s grace) to make progress on the spiritual path.👍

Hi, everyone!

Thank you for all the support; I think we should do it as far as the web site thing. The worst that will happen is that we will get a chance to put some thoughts together.

I’ve been web-less for several days, as the wireless network in the motel we’re staying in went stupid. Handy, though, that right down the street from the hotel is the public library. This is the first time I came here to use the computers, and it’s great! Plus this network is so fast I’m really impressed.

Anyway once I get reliable access to web reestablished I’ll get going on the website.

Alan

I too like the website idea. I would love to add some (name removed by moderator)ut on it. Let me know if it happens. I would also love to start a ministry at my parish to that effect. Since I at one time self-medicated using illicit drugs and alcohol it would to me at least be a good idea to incorporate that into the ministry. I have done the AA thing and the biggest turn-off is the lack of a true faith bond. By this I mean a Catholic/Christian faith geared group. AA works for some like my brother however I would like one geared to like minded people. Is this a selfish thing? I am really tempted to ask my Priest if this would be a possibility. I am new to the faith so I may need to grow first before taking such a big leap. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any insights they may care to share?

40.png
Mike_Olson:
I have done the AA thing and the biggest turn-off is the lack of a true faith bond. By this I mean a Catholic/Christian faith geared group. AA works for some like my brother however I would like one geared to like minded people. Is this a selfish thing? I am really tempted to ask my Priest if this would be a possibility. I am new to the faith so I may need to grow first before taking such a big leap. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any insights they may care to share?
I too have been to AA and it really wasn’t for me. There are 12 step programs for enhancing spirituality. They occasionally have them at our spiritual life center. That might be good because I think the 12-step format has some merit. My only problem is that, at the meetings I attended I got tired of hearing the same long winded people tell slightly different versions of the same stories over and over.

Alan

40.png
jimmytoes:
Interesting question. Interesting discussion.

My better half is suffering from major depression and anxiety as a result of having tapered off of Benzodiazapines. I can’t really judge what effect it’s having on her spiritual life at this point, but I know it’s having a positive effect on mine.
I remember taking at ojne point in my life anti anxiety medication that was not even prescribed to me. I twice took more than one and, seemed according to co-workers, so tired and down, and talking in excess. Is this almost similar to being on an alcohol high? Though I kinda remember behaving normally, (in other words one would not do what one would normally not do anyway), People did ask “why do you look so tired”? Why are you so down??? Or “wow, you sure were a real grouch.”
I also took BENZODIAZ. in these cases. Wow, what a dangerous medication!! My God, it literally must do soemthing in the brain. Yes, later that night, I remeber vomiting and feeling dizzy/neusea.
Can someone really enlight me on this? What was happening to me on the above examples, from the “look so down” comments" etc etc. etc.???
Thanks.

Hi, misericordie,

Well, I can’t tell you what happened to you, but I
can shed some light on medication, based on
10 years experience of taking meds.

There are side-effects with some meds.
I once was prescribed one that made me feel what’s
called hypomanic…meaning, I talked non-stop,
had all this energy, but couldn’t focus it to
get anything done, felt I needed only a little
sleep, thoughts racing 100 miles an hour…
a perfectly awful experience.
Needless to say, I called the doctor after 3
days of this and came off that medication.

The one I take for depression sometimes makes
it hard for me to keep my eyes open during the
day, and sometimes causes insomnia for me.
[that’s what I’m doing on the computer at this
hour EDT] Fortunately, I’m retired, so I can
sleep in if necessary.

The thing about meds, to me, is to work closely
with the physician to try to find the medication
that works best, with the least side-effects.

I’m sorry that you had such an unpleasant
experience. Hope this helped a little.
reen

40.png
reen12:
Hi, misericordie,

Well, I can’t tell you what happened to you, but I
can shed some light on medication, based on
10 years experience of taking meds.

There are side-effects with some meds.
I once was prescribed one that made me feel what’s
called hypomanic…meaning, I talked non-stop,
had all this energy, but couldn’t focus it to
get anything done, felt I needed only a little
sleep, thoughts racing 100 miles an hour…
a perfectly awful experience.
Needless to say, I called the doctor after 3
days of this and came off that medication.

The one I take for depression sometimes makes
it hard for me to keep my eyes open during the
day, and sometimes causes insomnia for me.
[that’s what I’m doing on the computer at this
hour EDT] Fortunately, I’m retired, so I can
sleep in if necessary.

The thing about meds, to me, is to work closely
with the physician to try to find the medication
that works best, with the least side-effects.

I’m sorry that you had such an unpleasant
experience. Hope this helped a little.
reen
Thanks, but I think I took more than one and they were not even prescribed.
Thanks for your kind words.

40.png
misericordie:
I remember taking at ojne point in my life anti anxiety medication that was not even prescribed to me. I twice took more than one and, seemed according to co-workers, so tired and down, and talking in excess. Is this almost similar to being on an alcohol high? Though I kinda remember behaving normally, (in other words one would not do what one would normally not do anyway), People did ask “why do you look so tired”? Why are you so down??? Or “wow, you sure were a real grouch.”
I also took BENZODIAZ. in these cases. Wow, what a dangerous medication!! My God, it literally must do soemthing in the brain. Yes, later that night, I remeber vomiting and feeling dizzy/neusea.
Can someone really enlight me on this? What was happening to me on the above examples, from the “look so down” comments" etc etc. etc.???
Thanks.
yup

For my birthday, I received the DVD "a Beautiful Mind’ with Russell Crowe. There could not have been a better title for the story…it is a wonderful, courageous, awe-inspiring story I have ever seen!

The way I look at things, if a person thinks they have their act together, they could never be a saint. Many of our Saints suffered depression, etc in their lives and tried to rise above it.

Christ is risen…truly He is risen!
Shoshana

Hi out there in cyberspace and contributing to this thread I started. Just at the moment I am up to my neck in matters here in Bethany - but I will get back to this thread as soon as I can and catch up with the posts…i.e. I’m still around!

Regards and God’s every Blessing upon you -
Barb, Bethany Place, South Australia
Thursday 28th. April, 2005 7.51pm.

40.png
Blanka:
Most certainly someone with mental illness can have a valid and good spiritual life. I have noticed that it is often those who have the simplest child-like faith who are closer to God. I see so much sincerity of heart in Schizophrenic patients that is brings joy to my heart and makes my job worth while. If you take time to talk with someone who has a serious mental illness, you will see that most are very intelligent. But what they usually lack is the pretentiousness that you see in so many so called “normal” people. I truly believe that the seriously mentally ill have a closer connection with God that seems to come naturally (and I’m not referring to delusions). A kind word or smile from a seriously mentally ill patient is more of a blessing to me than a compliment from my supervisor. :tiphat:
Thanks for bringing this insight. I have a theory that those of us who have endured suffering and illness have more empathy toward others. And having a “childlike faith” is a wonderful place to be. For many persons with serious mental illness, God is the only thing they rely on to relieve their suffering. They know only too well that solutions from man is not enough.

How wonderful this thread is! How I wish something like this had been around when I was suffering with Dissociative Identity Disorder (more commonly known as multiple personalities)! (If you want to know more about that whole ugly chapter of my life you can read my post on the Dark Night of the Soul thread.) All I can say is that you are providing a great ministry to others who are suffering from mental and emotional illnesses and disorders.

You are right in that those who are suffering can be and are deeply spiritual people. You are truly, all of you, living examples of the words of St. Paul:

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of all encouragement, who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged be God. For as Christ’s sufferings overflow to us, so through Christ does our encouragement also overflow.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-5.
Thank you for your openness, honesty, and Godly encouragement to so many!

Greetings and blessings to all of you! I joined the forum last evening and this is my second post. I am a psychiatric nurse and work for a catholic hospital whose mission is to extend the healing ministry of Jesus with emphasis on people who are poor and underserved and reflecting our core values of compassion,excellence,human dignity,justice,sacredness of life, and service. I feel I had a calling to this area of nursing very early on in my educational experience. It’s as if the Lord was calling out to me and saying don’t get too comfortable behind that blood pressure cuff or I.V. setup, I have plans to use YOU as a therapeutic tool.At the time, I couldn’t even imagine this as a possibility because I was a painfully quiet and introspective kid and calling any type of attention to myself was the last thing on my mind. But praise God, he is ever truthful to his word and his will be done!

To all my friends here in this forum, and in every psych hospital or mental health clinic or center throughout the world I embrace you with the loving arms and Immaculate heart of my Mother Mary and the most sweet delorous heart of Jesus. We suffer with you,we cry with you,we laugh with you, we rejoice with you! Marana tha"Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!"

Anne

Dear jpad93,

We need nurses like you.

Let me tell you briefly how a psychiatric nurse
eased my pain while I was hospitalized.
I was sitting in my chair, feeling dazed, when
a nurse came in. She sat down and we started
talking. I told her of something that had happened
to me as a 6 or 7 year old…the kind of thing that
can produce DDNOS, and how awful it made me
feel and was God angry at me for that happening.

And you know what she said? She said:
“I think God wept *for *you.”

More than medication, more than ‘therapy’, this
helped me. God bless her and God bless you.
reen

Hi krism,

I tried to explain DID ‘lite’ in a thread a couple of
months back…dissociative identity disorder,
not otherwise specified.
I haven’t read the post of yours that you refer to,
but I will.

I have three ‘identities’, if you will. A ‘little person’,
a 12 year old and the adult, rational me. One of
the reasons it’s DDNOS and not DID, is because
this never causes me to lose time, and I am
co-conscious of those ‘parts’ of me [though not
until 10 years ago did I understand what I somehow
knew all of my life.]
The funny thing is, I have no desire at all for
‘integration’ of these ‘parts’.

And you know what? When I chose a posting
name, I put down reen12, not realizing the
significance…reen, age 12.

Your quote of St Paul, said it better than I could, krism:

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of all encouragement, who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged be God. For as Christ’s sufferings overflow to us, so through Christ does our encouragement also overflow.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-5." quote, krism

I go now to find your post,
God bless you, krism,
reen12

Hello, krism,

I just finished reading your post. God in heaven,
what suffering this must have caused you. I can
well believe that you once suffered DID.

I’ve had nothing like that degree of trauma…
God be with you, krism, and may your experience
of one of life’s devastating realities, help you to
bring courage and comfort to others,

reen12

My second husband was diagnosed as “bi-polar manic depressive with psychotic tendencies”. He ended up comitting suicide (we were still married at the time with a young daughter). There were two pure things in his life: His relationship and love for God, and his relationship and love for his daughter. I am eternally grateful that God did not turn his back on him but continued to have a relationship that managed to bring him a degree of peace in his life.

Karen Anne

Dear Karen Anne,

I mourn for your loss and pray that God has given
both you and your daughter peace of heart.
reen

40.png
reen12:
Dear Karen Anne,

I mourn for your loss and pray that God has given
both you and your daughter peace of heart.
reen
Reen -
thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. We have come through amazingly well. It will have been 13 years on May 8 (Mother’s Day weekend 1992). Since then I have married my very best friend, raised a beautiful daughter who is now 16 and about to graduate High School within the next month. I truly have been blessed and I am now happier than I have ever been. Because of my experiences I pray for and support all those with mental illnesses. What is “invisible” is hard for many to understand.

Karen Anne

I’m so happy for you and your daughter,

Karen Anne.

God bless you and your daughter and your husband.
[It’s nice when your husband is your best friend.
I know what you mean!]

Maureen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back