Mental Illness & Spirituality

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
AlanFromWichita:
I totally agree!

Medication does not actually correct the problem in most cases. It can help the symptoms, but it does not correct the underlying problem of being an emotional basket case due to original sin and an upbringing in a worldly society. It can, however, help correct symptoms such as racing heart rate, high blood pressure, and insomnia. My shrink looks at it kind of like wearing a cast. It doesn’t actually fix the problem, but it helps hold things together so your body is empowered to heal itself naturally. Of course, I tell him it is the Holy Spirit that I believe heals me, and he’s one of the few shrinks I know who can discuss such spiritual concepts with me without looking at me funny. He is interested in my beliefs, but still used to try to get me to avoid introspection and focus on religion. That’s the only thing I disobeyed him over; I did just the opposite and dug in farther. He’s OK with it now because he has seen marvelous results in me. I always fancied myself a tool to evangelize the psychiatric community, ever since 1983.

Alan

P.S. By the “psychiatric community” I meant the doctors. The patients, by and large, don’t need evangelization. They need someone to listen to them as if they were actually human beings.
Hi Alan…a great point in your Post that I read, it hit me between the eyes, and so I paused and gave it some thought:

tool to evangelize the psychiatric communitysmileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_12_11.gif

… perhaps indeed this is what we Christians and Catholics are doing ‘inside the system’ , acting as means to evangelize a community almost notoriously athiestic and of consequence in potential doing harm to quite a few… I repeat “alomost athiestic” and “potential harm”!

I hold that nothing in life is entirely negative, depending on one’s attitude. Thanks for the Post, Alan… and the inspiriation.

Regards, Barb - Bethany Sth. Aust.
Friday 17.6.05 8.46pm

40.png
BarbaraTherese:
Hi Maureen…I cant understand why I quoted your Post and then made no comment about it…perhaps I was on the grog that night!

I’ve told my doctor that I dont care if she calls me a Pineappple Upside Down Cake…it really does not worry me (tags!)…all I want is to live a fulfilling, happy and constructive, hopefully contributing, life in the community without hospital admissions nor too much disruption of my ordinary daily life. I am now a student on an Adult Campus…last year Award of Merit for Outstanding Student in Journalism 1 and all my results in subjects which I put some effort have been A or APlus…we are not orphans in success in the halls of Public Mental Health here in Australia…many are achieving highly inbetween bouts of justifiable isanity to my mind!

All these tags they give us like schizophrenia, biopolar, depressive personality etc. etc. etc. are all marked by society (and often us too) as derogatory tags. Ignore the nonesense and just be who you are and grateful for the gift of!!! … The Good Lord loves us let us rejoice and be glad!..and man oh man…if He can love me then everyone knows that everyone must surely go!

And blessed are the insane, for they cannot cope with the nonesense!..and I read somewhere that the meek actually are not intersted in inheriting the earth!..let our God be a forerunner of Joy of Love and of Laughter!

Regards Barb smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_6_6v.gif
Bethany in South Aussie
Frudaty 24.6.05 10.22pm

In a 1990 Journal of Psychiatry a study done at the U of Wisconsin was discussed. It was a three-year study.

Participants were chose for their acclaim in fine arts, writing, engineering, acting, teaching and photography.

What the bottom line was is this: The above areas of talent showed that 65% of the total group were clinically psychotic. About 30% were manic depressive and all of them had periods of depression.

So manic depression is more likely in groups who are CREATIVE. One may take solice in the fact that mental illness may be a result of CREATIVENESS. How many painters were “screwballs”? This is just a brief sketch of the paper.

Hi, Barbara Therese,

quote: Barbara Therese

quote**: Barbara Therese**
QUOTE]…and I read somewhere that the meek actually are not intersted in inheriting the earth

Oh, how true, how true.

Barbara Therese, say a prayer for my family, will you?
My beloved sister in law passed away Thursday
morning and we’re all devastated by our loss.
She was only 59. We’ll particularly need prayers later
Sunday afternoon east coast time, and again on
Monday morning.

She had a heart of gold.

Thanks,

Maureen

40.png
Exporter:
So manic depression is more likely in groups who are CREATIVE. One may take solice in the fact that mental illness may be a result of CREATIVENESS. How many painters were “screwballs”? This is just a brief sketch of the paper.
I was diagnosed severe BP disorder.

My healing came through many channels, mostly spritual direction, prayer, and self-study of philosophy, religion, and results from various other methods.

There might be a good explanation for this relationship. When I consider whether reasoning on a particular issues is sound, I routinely consider what would happened if we carried this thinking, along with everything else we abstract the underlying theme to mean, to the ultimate extreme. This, in connection with pain/pleasure memories that are triggered directly or indirectly by consideration of such logical extremes, can skew one’s view of things. On the other hand, it can open one’s mind a little beyond the focused attention blinders that society would have us all wear at any given time, to explore ideas that could provide for the best possible scenario and the worst possible scenario that the “known” facts support – therefore that helps avoid judgment, but keeps me thinking in extremes which ultimately lead to extreme reactions to current and past events.

This is all from personal experience, though. A better example might be the types of training Zen Buddhists use.

First, they see opposites as necessarily coexisting, and try to incorporate that into a type of “polar thinking.” In other words, you can’t have a magnet with only a north pole. It has a north and a south, and chopping off one end doesn’t help. Similarly, spiritual and intangible things also have two sides along many axes: good/evil, helpful/unhelpful, failure/hero, fear/confidence, genius/crazy, liberal/conservative, eternal/temporal.

To develop this polar thinking, there are several methods. For example, a zen master might answer a question about something sacred with something disgusting, or a question about something tangible with something intangible, and vice versa, question about something tangible, answer intangible. They do this in a very strict controlled setting, for one practical reason is so that they don’t go berserk during training.

Example:

Q: What is the meaning of life? A: Have you eaten your porridge?

Q: Please hand me a knife. A: (hands him the sharp end.)
Q: please hand me the handle end. A: what would you do with a handle end?

Western or eastern, I think the ying/yang thing is a valuable tool to accept that there is no good without evil counterpart. The world is made of pairs of things. There is no up unless there is a down. No top without bottom. No matter what our environment or a point of view we have, the opposite point of view can always be obtained by taking the negative.

One of the best books I’ve read was by Paul Tillich, “My Search for Absolutes.” I first heard of Tillich by a quote in a Catholic magazine (though Tillich wasn’t Catholic) “faith is not an absence of doubt, but a component of doubt.” Again, this polar thinking was very attractive to me so I went and pursued more writings by him.

For bipolar, I think a lot of times I had problems because I always fancied my ability to See Both Sides of an argument, and I found it frustrating to be on teams who wished to take one side of each argument and use their collective power to defeat the other side. This is kind of cute behavior, watching petty people fight each other over nothing important and don’t even realize there are two sides to a coin, but it can be a real problem for the people involved! 😃

Alan

40.png
reen12:
Hi, Barbara Therese,

quote: Barbara Therese

quote**: Barbara Therese**
QUOTE]…and I read somewhere that the meek actually are not intersted in inheriting the earth
Oh, how true, how true.

Barbara Therese, say a prayer for my family, will you?
My beloved sister in law passed away Thursday
morning and we’re all devastated by our loss.
She was only 59. We’ll particularly need prayers later
Sunday afternoon east coast time, and again on
Monday morning.

She had a heart of gold.

Thanks,

Maureen

Hello there Maureen…my condolances at your tragic loss and so young and obviously one dearly loved and deserving. Why is it that is seems the good indeed are taken from us seemingly far too early ?.. may The Lord comfort you at this time as only He can with His Peace and Wisdom … my prayers are with you from Sunday afternoon through to Monday morning especially at this time of deeply and dearly felt loss smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/983.gif . I shall turn to Our Lady of Sorrows, comforter of the afflicted. I have no doubts your sister in law with her golden heart is with The Lord.
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_12_11.gif

…Regards Barb
Bethany South Australia
Saturday25.6.05 4.29pm

my grand mother has dementia and to her, it is always time for mass. She’ll repeat decades in the rosary. Did I mention that she is ALWAYS ready to go to mass? It’s kind of funny because she’ll get mad at my grandfather because he’s not ready to go, and he reminds her that it isn’t even Sunday. Plus, because they only speak Portuguese, it makes it even funnier, for some reason. When I think of a good Catholic, I think of her.

40.png
anunes:
my grand mother has dementia and to her, it is always time for mass. She’ll repeat decades in the rosary. Did I mention that she is ALWAYS ready to go to mass? It’s kind of funny because she’ll get mad at my grandfather because he’s not ready to go, and he reminds her that it isn’t even Sunday. Plus, because they only speak Portuguese, it makes it even funnier, for some reason. When I think of a good Catholic, I think of her.
Hi there anunes…as I understand things, dementia is caused by the breaking down of brain cells and is thus a physical illness affecting mental functioning…many of us with so termed “mental illness” also have what is a physical problem in the brain which affects mental functioning and hence the primary cause is physical illness not strictly mental illness at all - but physical like cancer say, or diabetes etc. etc. And even if it is stricly mental only…I cant find the funny in it.

I find the attitudes prevailing within society difficult to get my mind and heart around…they do not think it funny if a crippled man limps … or a person suffering cancer is in pain … etc. etc. but if a person is mentally at ill rest…it’s funny! Just find it hard to get my head around it all, to engage in the necessary mental gymnastics as it were.

I have no desire to be unkind… and perhaps I read and thus intepreted your Post wrongly and I sincerely hope that this is so.

Regards
Barb smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_26.gif in Bethany South Aust.
Sunday 26.6.05 4.15am

40.png
BarbaraTherese:
I have no desire to be unkind… and perhaps I read and thus intepreted your Post wrongly and I sincerely hope that this is so.
I thought it was a cute story, even though the issue at hand is not a laughing matter. Sometimes I try to think of a humorous aspect of something to keep from becoming depressed about it, because taking a serious situation “seriously” when there is nothing you can do to improve it is uncomfortable and even unproductive.

When I read the other post, I thought they looked at her as a faithful, delightful person whose needs are easily understood and easily met, and they keep an inner smile, a “glow” if you will, about the apparent silliness of the situation.

When I read your post, I got images of people chuckling at anothers’ expense, thinking they’ll never know, or dismissing anothers’ troubles as unimportant. That is pretty disgusting, and I see why you spoke out. I also hope anunes didn’t mean that, but I’m guessing if so the rest of the post would have carried a different tone.

Also, of course, there is the context of “funny strange” as much as “funny haha.”

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
I thought it was a cute story, even though the issue at hand is not a laughing matter. Sometimes I try to think of a humorous aspect of something to keep from becoming depressed about it, because taking a serious situation “seriously” when there is nothing you can do to improve it is uncomfortable and even unproductive.

When I read the other post, I thought they looked at her as a faithful, delightful person whose needs are easily understood and easily met, and they keep an inner smile, a “glow” if you will, about the apparent silliness of the situation.

When I read your post, I got images of people chuckling at anothers’ expense, thinking they’ll never know, or dismissing anothers’ troubles as unimportant. That is pretty disgusting, and I see why you spoke out. I also hope anunes didn’t mean that, but I’m guessing if so the rest of the post would have carried a different tone.

Also, of course, there is the context of “funny strange” as much as “funny haha.”

Alan
Thanks Alan smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_17_9.gif …I too feel relatively sure that I read anune’s Post wrongly and while I will often make fun of my own situation…I do find it very hard to see the amusing side of the problems etc. of others. Just me! Overly sensitive perhaps to be kind to myself anyway!

Thank you again

Regards Barb
Bethany in South Aust.
Sunday 26.6.05 6.25 am
“He is Risen!..and goes before you into Gallilee”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back