Modest exercise clothing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wbrisc92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Home

Hit close to home – did it.

Maybe if the priest(s) – would stop enabling/condoning men’s “weaknesses” – and placed the responsibility squarely where it belongs – on the lechers – these “weak” men -would be motivated — to actually work at overcoming said “weaknesses”.
 
I disagree, he does seem controlling. If her bf and any men who are so easily prone to lust should stay out of gyms.
Yes, he does. He sounds VERY controlling.

I would wonder what he is wearing to work out. Shorts and a T ? Because he shouldn’t be showing those knees or elbows. :tsktsk:

If you agree to change what you wear, I would also ask him to work out in pants.

What you are wearing is modest. Men need to be able to control themselves if they see a knee or elbow.
 
Well the OP is the only one who can judge her boyfriend and it seems as thought she is content now with the advice given. No need to continue a thread as we’ve already helped the OP. I enjoyed reading everyone’s (name removed by moderator)ut. God Bless
 
Surely it is not a matter of all fully covered men working out in a gym surrounded by scantily clad women all out to incite those ‘poor’ men to lust. Firstly, which man fully covers up to work out in a gym. Many wear shorts, tanks, whatever. Secondly, I am sure that not all women go to gyms just to strut around. I believe they are there to work out too.
I was making a general commentary on the was women dress in general. And no need to be sarcastic. Yes, I feel sorry for men regarding the issue of immodest dressing. 🤷
 
What exercise clothing should you wear? Depends on the activity! I agree with the folks about modesty of clothing being relative to the context. I’m a guy and work out in the gym 5 days a week. As others have said, I’m frankly too busy working out to really notice anyone other than noting who the regulars are. There’s a woman who works out almost every day wearing a close fitting tank top and yoga pants. Works out hard, incredible work ethic- weight machines, calishthenics, aerobic stuff. Is she attractive, well yeah, but I’m far more impressed by her workout routine and attitude. Other folks you notice not so much for what they’re wearing but whether they’re standing around and posing or actually working out.

Nothing more annoying than a couple of people (man or woman) no matter how attractive sitting around taking up a machine mostly B.S.g and either ogling or looking to see if they’re being ogled.

Anyway, what works for me is partially determined by the fact I sweat heavily. I mean as in leave such a pool under a bike/fit/rowing/elliptical machine that the gym has asked me to put down towels before I start vice just cleaning up after.
  • I never, ever wear long pants for workouts, I just over heat too easily. When running they just get soaked, chafe, and feel awful. I can’t imagine yoga type pants being comfortable. But, I guess if you’re the kind of person who gets chilled easily or takes breaks between sets they would work better. I.E. less chance of pulling something from cooling down and getting stiff between sets of weight reps.
  • Lifting weights. Loose fitting running type shirt like underarmor that does a good job of wicking the sweat. Loose fitting longer cotton shorts (about knee length) that are fairly absorbent. Clothes that won’t pull or feel restrictive for the motions l’ll be doing, but yet won’t ride up too far while doing leg presses, sit-ups, bench work, etc.
  • Running outside. I don’t view women who run hard dressing in a very minimal tank or even half-shirt as immodest, I’d do that if I were female. I agree with you about basketball lengh shorts, they just feel too heavy and restrictive when running regardless of the material. For running I wear shorts about half way down the thigh. If it’s sunny I run without a shirt, it’s hot and I like the sun and generating the vitamin D (I work inside all day). I can’t wear cotton shirts as they chafe my chest as they get wet and cling. If it’s night/dusk a white running type shirt with reflective patches built into it. (I see, just barely, way too many runners out there with dark clothing at night/dusk). This could be a problem for a woman who sweats like me- risk looking like wet-tshirt contest participant by the end of the run.
  • Running on a treadmill. Loose fitting running T-shirt’s along the lines of underarmour or addidas are great as they don’t chafe no matter how soaked they get. Cotton absorbent shorts, (again about mid-thigh or they feel too heavy/restrictive), to keep from flinging too much sweat on the machine.
  • Elliptical/stair climber/fit/stationary bike machines. Same as the treadmill although longer shorts are ok on these for me.
  • Rowing machine/ Rope pull machine. Tank top running shirt as the rowing/pulling with a T-shirt, even a running type, creates chafing under my arms.
I agree with what somebody else said- some folks are there to ogle vice workout. It won’t really matter to them what you wear outside of a burqa. Dress for the workout not the people there. Those there to workout won’t really notice what you wear as much as what your workout is.

BTW. If you see someone obviously new to the gym, or looking like they’re out of shape and trying to start a routine-- say some words of encouragement to them. Really hard for those folks to be there, they feel self-concious and making them feel accepted and respected for their effort may help keep them motivated vice giving up.
 
If you’re going to beat yourself up about how you dress to go to the gym…save the membership price and buy a couple of decent work out videos and work out at home.

Then you can wear whatever you want…and not be concerned about people looking at you.

Or if you really want a gym membership look into the all-female gyms like Curves or get a running group together with all females.

Personally, I think what you are wearing is perfectly fine and appropriate. I think your boyfriend needs to do his part and learn to control his thoughts and feelings and stop controlling you so much.

I wear yoga capris or workout shorts with a tank-top or a tee.

Modest for me but potentially not so much for other people. But I also see girls wearing all kinds of things like booty shorts and sports bras. I can’t be concerned about how I look at all times to other people…I dress as modestly as I feel comfortable doing.
 

Hit close to home – did it.

Maybe if the priest(s) – would stop enabling/condoning men’s “weaknesses” – and placed the responsibility squarely where it belongs – on the lechers – these “weak” men -would be motivated — to actually work at overcoming said “weaknesses”.
The priest in this case is doing his job. You on the other hand seem to be confused.

As I said before, if a person is poor, just as much as the responsibility he has to get himself out of the state, we too have a responsibility to help him get out of that state.

What you are suggesting is that there is no such responsibility. That is an incorrect Catholic position and a quick look at writings by Church fathers throughout the centuries will confirm that.

All men and women are weak due to the effects of the fall. All of us need help in some way or the other. To abandon ones responsibility to help a fellow brother out, is not going to get anyone to heaven. In the case of dressing immodestly, the person is not only guilty of abandoning their responsibility to help a brother in Christ but also guilty of becoming a stumbling block.

So let us put aside our ideological views and first and foremost consistently with our prayers to our father “Do not lead us to temptation”. We would be condemned for this hypocrisy alone for asking God our father to lead us not to temptation while we careless lead our brothers to temptation.

That is all I will say on this matter.
 
Yes, he does. He sounds VERY controlling.

I would wonder what he is wearing to work out. Shorts and a T ? Because he shouldn’t be showing those knees or elbows. :tsktsk:

If you agree to change what you wear, I would also ask him to work out in pants.

What you are wearing is modest. Men need to be able to control themselves if they see a knee or elbow.
Those knees and elbows! And then there is toe cleavage - heavens!
 
I was making a general commentary on the was women dress in general. And no need to be sarcastic. Yes, I feel sorry for men regarding the issue of immodest dressing. 🤷
I was making a very valid point. I on the other hand feel sorry for all those on CAF who are bombarded with opinions on how women are so immodest etc when we would rather spend time on, say, helping those who need help.
 

If a man has problems controlling his thoughts – he needs to work on himself – instead of depending on someone else to do the work for him.
Indeed, as a man, if I lust that’s on me not on the object of my lust.

As far as clothing goes I can say this. If a girl is wearing revealing clothes I might be tempted to lust and if a girl is covered up I may be tempted to imagine what’s “underneath” her clothes so "damned if you do- damned if you don’t.

Dress reasonably- as you are- and do your thing at the gym.
 
It’s not hard to imagine a man would have a problem in this immodest culture so if he is struggling with his thougths, he can only do so much until the next scantily clad woman walks by him. Everyone has that attitude “It’s all about me. I don’t care how my actions affect you.” We are told to not be “stumbling blocks” for other people and we will all be held responsible for our actions.

Back to OP, I wear capri workout pants and a t-shirt mostly.
This is so silly!

Some men like skin. Some men like the “mystery” under clothes. Some men like looking at breasts. Some men like looking at women’s necks.

There is no way to predict or guard against men’s proclivities.
 
This is so silly!

Some men like skin. Some men like the “mystery” under clothes. Some men like looking at breasts. Some men like looking at women’s necks.

There is no way to predict or guard against men’s proclivities.
Yes.
 
The priest in this case is doing his job. You on the other hand seem to be confused.

As I said before, if a person is poor, just as much as the responsibility he has to get himself out of the state, we too have a responsibility to help him get out of that state.

What you are suggesting is that there is no such responsibility. That is an incorrect Catholic position and a quick look at writings by Church fathers throughout the centuries will confirm that.

All men and women are weak due to the effects of the fall. All of us need help in some way or the other. To abandon ones responsibility to help a fellow brother out, is not going to get anyone to heaven. In the case of dressing immodestly, the person is not only guilty of abandoning their responsibility to help a brother in Christ but also guilty of becoming a stumbling block.

So let us put aside our ideological views and first and foremost consistently with our prayers to our father “Do not lead us to temptation”. We would be condemned for this hypocrisy alone for asking God our father to lead us not to temptation while we careless lead our brothers to temptation.

That is all I will say on this matter.

For far to long – men have coped out – of their responsibility to control their lecherous thoughts. Pushing responsibility onto women --only serves to enable the lechers to continue the way they are.
 
This is so silly!

Some men like skin. Some men like the “mystery” under clothes. Some men like looking at breasts. Some men like looking at women’s necks.

There is no way to predict or guard against men’s proclivities.
Or as Tom Lehr put it in the song ‘Smut’ off his album ‘That Was the Year that Was’

All books can be indecent books
Though recent books are bolder,
For filth (I’m glad to say) is in
the mind of the beholder.
When correctly viewed,
Everything is lewd.
(I could tell you things about Peter Pan,
And the Wizard of Oz, there’s a dirty old man!)

So, if you’re letting other’s weaknesses or proclivities dictate your dress it’s going to be very hard. If you simply dress as is best/appropriate for the activity with no intention to elicit a prurient reaction I think you’ve done all you can.
 
Or as Tom Lehr put it in the song ‘Smut’ off his album ‘That Was the Year that Was’

All books can be indecent books
Though recent books are bolder,
For filth (I’m glad to say) is in
the mind of the beholder.
When correctly viewed,
Everything is lewd.
(I could tell you things about Peter Pan,
And the Wizard of Oz, there’s a dirty old man!)

So, if you’re letting other’s weaknesses or proclivities dictate your dress it’s going to be very hard. If you simply dress as is best/appropriate for the activity with no intention to elicit a prurient reaction I think you’ve done all you can.
lol- That’s a great summation!

And you hit the nail on the head above- NO INTENTION TO ELICIT A PURIENT REACTION.

I mean there was a post a while about about the immodesty of ballet clothing for Lord’s sake.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top