Morality of converting to Islam

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnDaniels2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnDaniels2

So recently I was listening to the Azan ( the Islamic call to prayer) and it was so beautiful and made me feel much closer to God. I began thinking about what it would be like to not be catholic. I have been raised catholic never really thought about exploring other religions. Anyways I was wondering what happens to your soul if you switch religions because you believe it is the truth. I had heard it was a sin to leave the catholic church but people from other religions are encouraged to join ours. That seems very contradictory. That fact was very unsettling.
P.S: please don’t come after me saying that I am uneducated. I have heard this from priests and deeply religious people

On what basis do you believe that Islam is true?

this isn’t meant to bash or anything, I’m simply asking what besides this experience of hearing their prayer has led you to want to convert?

Last edited:
I had heard it was a sin to leave the catholic church but people from other religions are encouraged to join ours. That seems very contradictory.
If Catholicism is true, it’s the right thing to do to encourage people to become Catholic and to discourage them to leave.
I have been raised catholic never really thought about exploring other religions.
I would actually encourage you to learn about other religions. I became convinced of the truth of Catholicism by venturing out and doing my research.
Anyways I was wondering what happens to your soul if you switch religions because you believe it is the truth.
This depends which religion is the truth. If Catholicism is true and you turn away, I wouldn’t think it would be good…but if Islam is true and you convert, you would probably be better off. If you’re worried what Christ would think of you converting, I would say you’re probably not convinced Catholicism isn’t true and would be acting in bad faith.

An interesting question I would ask in this case is if you’re interested in Islam because you have looked into it and it seems truer than Catholicism? Or are you bored with Catholicism and wanting to find fulfillment elsewhere?

Catechism of the Catholic Church
"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:
Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336
847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:
Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

it was so beautiful and made me feel much closer to God.
Do not trust in feelings they can be deceiving. Instead compare the historical ‘prophet’ Mohammed’s way of life with Jesus. The ‘prophet’ will come way, way short.

Islam denies the historical fact of the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth, and claims the Bible was corrupted. Islam also has an understanding of God that is incompatible with Christianity. Be respectful to Muslims, be friendly to Muslims, but you haven’t got to be one

I have a Muslim friend of mine that I regularly have discussions with, he’s unlikely to become Christian, and I’m never going to become Muslim , but he has a lot of respect for Catholicism , and he’s even gone to church with me

I recommend the book The Crucifix on Mecca’s Front Porch by David Pinault. It’s an excellent Catholic look at Islam.

I haven’t read the book, but I know who the author is, and he seems very respectful towards what is good in Islam, but while still pointing out what is wrong, I have seen him on EWTN.

I just viewed a Maronite Divine Liturgy.

The Islamic call to prayer does not hold a candle to the tones of Arab Christian liturgies.

I am seeing your replies and you seem to think that I want to convert to Islam. This is not the case and I was simply wonder what happens to the souls of those who do.

I just thought that if someone believes another religion is truth, but at death they find out it was not, what would happen

I would be very careful with calling Maronites Arab, technically, Maronites existed before Lebanon spoke Arabic. Now, not all Maronites have a problem with that, this is just what I’ve noticed amongst I would say about half of them. The Byzantine Divine Liturgy in Arabic, actually is not that different than the sounds of the Islamic call to prayer, obviously Muslims are not going to say things like Jesus the son of God, but it is totally similar.

I am seeing your replies and you seem to think that I want to convert to Islam. This is not the case and I was simply wonder what happens to the souls of those who do.
Anyone who converts from Catholicism to Islam commits apostasy.

In the objective order, this is a mortal sin.

Converting to Islam is never an acceptable option for any Catholic or Christian. I don’t deny that Muslims are good people, or that there many noble and admirable aspects of their religion, but the truth remains.

The devil uses all sorts of “feelings” to persuade us to jump of the boat of salvation through Christ into the raging sea of death without Jesus. Muslims believe in Allah (The Father) but they do not believe that Jesus is God. If this were true, there would be no sacrifice for sins, no King and Messiah that He is. They do not believe in the resurrection. Then what hope do we have in being resurrected? None without Jesus.

Pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit and discernment between spirits and cling fast to Christ. As in 1 John 4:1, “Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.”

Whatever “feeling” you had is not from God, because Jesus is Truth and He is God. The false prophets described above are a category in which Mohammed fits into. Christ says “but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.” -Matthew 10:33

As Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Last edited:
A person can only sin if they know they’re sinning.

Converting to another religion for cynical reasons or Earthly reasons is a mortal sin because the convert knows he’s turning his back on God. But someone who converts because he sincerely believes it’s true is probably guilty only of being misled or duped.

But for you specifically I advise you to not convert to Islam. There is no shortage of beautiful Catholic prayers to read and recite.

It comes down to Muhammad or Jesus Christ. Jesus fulfilled prophecies, performed miracles witnessed by thousands and as God incarnate conquered death. Muhammad said an angel appeared to him in a cave and told him he was to be God’s prophet. No witnesses ], just his word. At first he thought it was a demonic apparition, but his uncle convinced him it must have been the angel Gabriel. Islam was founded in the 7th century, and since it wasn’t catching on, Muhammad spread Islam by the sword. Long story short, the founder of Islam married girls as young as 7 years old, and In the end was murdered by one of his many wives. His message of converting by force and killing the infidels contrasts with the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is one of loving God and neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back