R
Ridgerunner
Guest
I still think it’s wrong to characterize trump supporters in that way. Trump wasn’t my first or second choice either. But I wasn’t about to support the abortion party or its candidate. Trump said he was going to do certain things, and ever made his list of S.C. justices public in advance. And so far, he has at least tried to live up to those objectives. I do not find a single one of his stated objectives (not “as spun” but as said) offensive or contrary to Catholic teaching.I am basically saying that I view most Trump supporters as gullible and easily manipulated, not because of a character flaw, but because those in the working class especially were dissapointed by Obama and looking for a new hope.
Of course, there are ruthless, power grabbing folks among them as well, but not everyone is Mitch McConnell.
My previous presidential candidate was John Kasich - the last moral choice standing in the GOP primaries. After he was rejected and after watching the horror that was the GOP convention, I became an independent, because that is the only thing a Catholic can be in good conscience.
The devil in all of this is in the practicalities. We could buy a BMW for everybody in the world if there were enough BMWs, enough money to buy them and enough ships and trucks to get them where they need to go. And that would be a benefit to the recipients. But there’s none of those things.