Morning paper in the Diocese of Rochester

• Thread starter Thread starter Binney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Binney

democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050404/NEWS01/504040336/1002/NEWS

(This link is good for about a week)

This article is from my liberal local newspaper which happens to be in the very liberal diocese of Rochester, NY. It is titled ‘Area Catholics imagine their next leader’.

also
Bishop Clark Offers Mass For John Paul II
iknowrochester.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=42C5428F-3FBD-4B79-AAA6-9EFE2BB39FB1

click on video - turn the volume up and very carefully listen to the background noise as Bishop Clark speaks

I think that was the sound trickling water I heard in the background.:confused:

Typical of Catholics these days. Neo paganism has more of an influence than the teachings of Christ.

I just don’t get it…I really don’t. Do they think God changes with age, or changes His mind?

And I like this part of the article “best”: “…I’d like more interactive Masses.” Maybe the Church could begin emailing the Masses out, or having us click on a form that reports our replies to a MySql database. How would that be for interactivity? The Mass already lacks in loving participation by many attendees; let’s get this one right before entertaining the notion of changing it again (sarcastically speaking).

Penitent

40.png
contemplative:
I think that was the sound trickling water I heard in the background.:confused:
That is what it is.

There seems to be a “movement”(?) here in Rochester to have a fountian type baptismal font with a little waterfall.

As the Cathedral was recently redone I believe that is what it is.

I heard Bishop Clark on the radio this moringing and he said it may be a good idea if the next Pope had all thie bishops convened in some way to ask what was on people’s minds. This was stated in response to a question about whether the next Pope may allow priestesses and such.

40.png
fix:
I heard Bishop Clark on the radio this moringing and he said it may be a good idea if the next Pope had all thie bishops convened in some way to ask what was on people’s minds. This was stated in response to a question about whether the next Pope may allow priestesses and such.
This may not be a bad thing. “Management By Walking Around” is an effective tool. However, the Church is not a democracy. If the next Pope were to do this, I would hope that he would use it to focus on the true Catholic perspective of the issues raised. E.G., women clergy, focus on the (T)radition of the Church, and why exactly we believe that women can not be ordained.

40.png
Lurch104:
This may not be a bad thing. “Management By Walking Around” is an effective tool. However, the Church is not a democracy. If the next Pope were to do this, I would hope that he would use it to focus on the true Catholic perspective of the issues raised. E.G., women clergy, focus on the (T)radition of the Church, and why exactly we believe that women can not be ordained.
Actually, a better thing would be for the Pope to tell the bishops to start doing their jobs and to start explaning the faith to the faithful. If so many are confused as to what we must beileve to be faithful to Christ, the the issue is not talking to bishops about what is on the minds of the misinformed and rebellious, but to plainly state what needs to be said.

40.png
fix:
Actually, a better thing would be for the Pope to tell the bishops to start doing their jobs and to start explaning the faith to the faithful.
I agree :yup:

40.png
ByzCath:
There seems to be a “movement”(?) here in Rochester to have a fountian type baptismal font with a little waterfall.

As the Cathedral was recently redone I believe that is what it is.
On immersion size fonts, I believe the “waterfall” serves a very practical purpose: it keeps the water oxygenated and prevents it from becoming stagnant and smelly.

If you changed the masthead on that newspaper, it could’ve been the Seattle Times article on local response to the Pope’s death.

40.png
Timidity:
On immersion size fonts, I believe the “waterfall” serves a very practical purpose: it keeps the water oxygenated and prevents it from becoming stagnant and smelly.
The thing is, I just don’t see the need to have immersion style fonts.

40.png
BillyT92679:
The thing is, I just don’t see the need to have immersion style fonts.
Well lets see, if we want to do baptism by immersion then I think it is a pretty good idea to have an immersion style font.

I believe that this is a matter of preference.

The question about the tinkling sound has been answered. Thank you.

40.png
ByzCath:
Well lets see, if we want to do baptism by immersion then I think it is a pretty good idea to have an immersion style font.

I believe that this is a matter of preference.
Yeah, I just don’t buy into the preference. The way we’ve done it for centuries is completely acceptable. Immersion is antiquarianism. Nothing wrong with it, but it comes across to me as novel.

40.png
BillyT92679:
Yeah, I just don’t buy into the preference. The way we’ve done it for centuries is completely acceptable. Immersion is antiquarianism. Nothing wrong with it, but it comes across to me as novel.
Novelty in Rochester? How unique.

40.png
fix:
Novelty in Rochester? How unique.
Oh, I could tell you stories about many of the churches in this Diocese! But I’ll refrain!

40.png
BillyT92679:
Oh, I could tell you stories about many of the churches in this Diocese! But I’ll refrain!
as a resident of the Diocese of Rochester, Billy and I could probably spins some heads. But since he’s refraining, I am too.

But please pray for our Diocese. Thanks

40.png
jrabs:
as a resident of the Diocese of Rochester, Billy and I could probably spins some heads. But since he’s refraining, I am too.

But please pray for our Diocese. Thanks
Even though I am Byzantine and attend a Melkite parish in the Rochester area, I did go through RCIA in the Diocese and had some other experiences.

Let me say that this Diocese is one reason why I thank God daily that I am a Byzantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back