Morning paper in the Diocese of Rochester

• Thread starter Thread starter Binney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
BillyT92679:
Oh, I could tell you stories about many of the churches in this Diocese! But I’ll refrain!
Born and raised here. I have seen too much.

40.png
fix:
Born and raised here. I have seen too much.
Sounds like you, Billy and I all will be keeping our collective mouths closed on this one! Ohhh the horrors.

http://feastofsaints.com/lovele1.gif

For all the saints

Whom no one thought to name

No litany of bliss

For their praise proclaims

For the homely saints

No halo aglow

Favored by the Lord

But to us so so

For the ruined saints

Who craved no boardroom glee

But offered their arms

And gave without fee

For the tattered saints

Who found no rest at home

But served in patient woe

And shrank in hearts alone

For the silent saints

Captured by their pain

Offering it to Him

For salvation’s gain

For the saint unseen

By power or by peer

The crownless heir of love

Raised on Christ’s bier

The lumpen hump of flesh

Draped across bench

Whose spit is his smile

And bouquet his stench

For the blithering saint

Whose strings of words bemuse

His blank stare runs counter

To the civil use

For the stunted saints

No worldly stature given

Graced by a shrug

And through neglect shriven

For the hidden saints

Caught in His eye

Reflections of God’s love

In ordinary guise

The humble face of saints

Uncanonized

Lies in the dust

By Him only prized

For these great saints

We have yet to know

Celebrate today!

Feast on crow.

40.png
ByzCath:
Even though I am Byzantine and attend a Melkite parish in the Rochester area, I did go through RCIA in the Diocese and had some other experiences.

Let me say that this Diocese is one reason why I thank God daily that I am a Byzantine.
Where is the Melkite parish?

40.png
jrabs:
Sounds like you, Billy and I all will be keeping our collective mouths closed on this one! Ohhh the horrors.
It is hard for me to stay silent many times.

It is really sad if the Diocese of Rochester has indeed, as you mention, become fairly liberal. My dad grew up in Rochester during the 1950’s and 60’s. He went to a Catholic high school there, too, run by the Basilians. From all that he has told me, the diocese was very conservative back then–at least the priests he met were. High masses, which necessitated dozens of altar boys, were common in his parish, and overall things were pretty conservative.

Concerning the issue with baptism, I here quote from the Didache, an early orthodox Christian document (www.newadvent.org/fathers/0714.htm):

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

The italics are mine. I believe that the catholicanswers tract on baptism mentions (I could be mistaken) that the word “living” can also be interpretted as “running,” such as a running stream or river.

Baptism by pouring, however, although recognized as a secondary alternative, is not regarded as improper.

40.png
fix:
It is hard for me to stay silent many times.
I hear you! ( Ha little joke since you said you were silent). Actually, I have found refuge in a great orthodox parish - one of the few.

I did have a sad disparaging conversation at coffee hour after mass. One of the long time parishioners was grousing about our current priest and the fact that he is too orthodox. She hopes the next priest is liberal.

Ouch, I cringed at that comment. She has no idea what craziness she speaketh. She could move to numerous parishes around this Diocese and get what she is looking for - and then some

Ahhh yes. Many stories here concerning this diocese.
I have seen other Diocese get some “relief”…I wonder when it will be Rochester’s turn.
It’s going to take a long time to treat this one…especially considering all the folks taking their theology courses at St. Bernard’s.

40.png
Madaglan:
It is really sad if the Diocese of Rochester has indeed, as you mention, become fairly liberal. My dad grew up in Rochester during the 1950’s and 60’s. He went to a Catholic high school there, too, run by the Basilians. From all that he has told me, the diocese was very conservative back then–at least the priests he met were. High masses, which necessitated dozens of altar boys, were common in his parish, and overall things were pretty conservative.

Concerning the issue with baptism, I here quote from the Didache, an early orthodox Christian document (www.newadvent.org/fathers/0714.htm):

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

The italics are mine. I believe that the catholicanswers tract on baptism mentions (I could be mistaken) that the word “living” can also be interpretted as “running,” such as a running stream or river.

Baptism by pouring, however, although recognized as a secondary alternative, is not regarded as improper.
The thought process is, there was always a liberal “wing” to the Diocese of Rochester, but there were very orthodox Bishops, such as Kearney for example, who kept the wing at bay. After Vatican II, Bishop Fulton Sheen became the Ordinary of the Diocese, and had a heck of a time with the liberals here, who basically made his life horrible. He was replaced by Bishop Hogan, who took the particular church on a leftward path.

I grew up in the Diocese of Syracuse attending an extremely orthodox parish (we even had Altar Rosary Societies and the 40 Hour Devotion), so moving here for college was quite a shock.

The Melkite Church is on Spencerport Road I believe.
I attend St. Josaphat’s Ukrainian Catholic Church for Divine Liturgy on occasion. That’s on Carter St in Irondequiot.

Another Rochester RCIA victim here.
This made me laugh:
“When you go to Mass, you already know what’s going to happen. You could recite what’s going to happen.”
Oh, how dull. Maybe a car chase would spice it up.

The thought process is, there was always a liberal “wing” to the Diocese of Rochester
Where did they come from and how did they get so well organized as to take over the whole diocese?
It is amazing to see the consistency in the “groupthink” from parish to parish.

40.png
fix:
Where is the Melkite parish?
Its in Gates, Spencerport road just east Elmgrove on the north side of the road.

I have offered an invite here and I will gladly do so again.

Anyone in Rochester, NY, or coming to visit Rochester, NY, that wants to attend St Nicholas Melkite Greek Catholic Church, just let me know and I will meet you there.

We have two Ukrainian Greek Catholic Churches in Rochester. They have multiple liturgies on Sundays and a Saturday evening liturgy (which is kind of against tradition) but only one of those liturgies at each is in English and then it is a recited liturgy which is sort of sad.

At St Nicholas we have the Divine Liturgy at 10:30am on Sunday and it is chanted/sung. It is, I would say, about 95% in English with some of the “Lord Have Mercy” responses in Greek and a few in Arabic.

The liturgy takes about 1 to 1.25 hours. This Sunday the Archbishop will be there so the liturgy will be a bit longer, closer to 2 hours or a bit more.

40.png
jrabs:
I hear you! ( Ha little joke since you said you were silent). Actually, I have found refuge in a great orthodox parish - one of the few.

I did have a sad disparaging conversation at coffee hour after mass. One of the long time parishioners was grousing about our current priest and the fact that he is too orthodox. She hopes the next priest is liberal.

Ouch, I cringed at that comment. She has no idea what craziness she speaketh. She could move to numerous parishes around this Diocese and get what she is looking for - and then some
I would cringe too. I go to Our Lady of Victory for confession and attend mass there when possible. I have heard that Holy Spirit in Penfield is very faithful.

40.png
Lorarose:
Ahhh yes. Many stories here concerning this diocese.
I have seen other Diocese get some “relief”…I wonder when it will be Rochester’s turn.
It’s going to take a long time to treat this one…especially considering all the folks taking their theology courses at St. Bernard’s.
Yes, that I see is a big problem.

40.png
fix:
I would cringe too. I go to Our Lady of Victory for confession and attend mass there when possible. I have heard that Holy Spirit in Penfield is very faithful.
How funny!
I go to Our Lady of Victory for daily noon mass. I am soooo lucky since I work a block from there. It is a wonderful escape in my workday and find incredible peace.
And Holy Spirit is home parish. Too funny. Both are wonderful and I really love Holy Spirit.

40.png
jrabs:
How funny!
I go to Our Lady of Victory for daily noon mass. I am soooo lucky since I work a block from there. It is a wonderful escape in my workday and find incredible peace.
And Holy Spirit is home parish. Too funny. Both are wonderful and I really love Holy Spirit.
Yes, it is funny.
I have never been to H.S., but have heard great things. Downtown with Fr. A is very good.

How do you think these faithful priests do in this diocese. I would think they have a great burden to bear?

40.png
fix:
Yes, it is funny. How do you think these faithful priests do in this diocese. I would think they have a great burden to bear?
Well, I certainly think they have heavy crosses. Fr Antinarelli, (sp?) at Our Lady of Victory certainly is outspoken about the plight of the priests faithful to Rome.

But he has hardhitting homilies and I believe his attendance is rising. He used to be at Holy Spirit.
One of the problems we face at HS church is that we are severly lacking younger families. The young parishioners just seem to shy away from the hard hitting and truthful homilies.

Did you see Fr Corapi when he was here in Oct? Or Fr Pacwa in Nov? Fr Corapi is coming again in Sept to Buffalo.

40.png
jrabs:
Well, I certainly think they have heavy crosses. Fr Antinarelli, (sp?) at Our Lady of Victory certainly is outspoken about the plight of the priests faithful to Rome.
Yes, his homilies are some of the best I have heard anywhere.
One of the problems we face at HS church is that we are severly lacking younger families. The young parishioners just seem to shy away from the hard hitting and truthful homilies.
That is very sad to hear. I am glad someone is preaching the truth.
Did you see Fr Corapi when he was here in Oct? Or Fr Pacwa in Nov? Fr Corapi is coming again in Sept to Buffalo.
I have not, but would love to. I have heard Fr. Corapi’s talk on Radio 1460. One of my favorites.

40.png
jrabs:
Fr. Antinarelli had tremendous words to say on the Friday in-between Terri Schiavo’s death and Pope John Paul II’s death. I am writing him a letter of thanks this weekend. He said that the Pope demonstrated exactly how to follow Christ to the cross throughout all of life (especially in his last years and days) and was the diametric opposite of the throw-away society that we have established, most demonstrative in throwing away Terri Schiavo because she “lost” her beauty and value. He said the cross was the only way to salvation. He also said that Greer would have to answer to God. I was somewhat floored to hear this from a Rochester priest and this was the only time I heard a priest in a homily that I attended mention Schiavo. Thank God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back