MOVIES: Religulous - Bill Maher

  • Thread starter Thread starter I_thirst_4_YOU
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We do need to remember that the gullible do look at people like Maher as a type of ‘reporter.’ This is a tool satan uses against Christians and others of good faith.
Maher is the secular counterpart to the televangelists, or the modern equalvalent of Red Foxx. Without the outrage, his carre doesn’t exist.
 
Bill Maher and Larry Charles were interviewed on NPRs Fresh Air today that I happened to catch while in the car.

Those who are curious as to his motivation behind the film will find the full interview interesting in that Bill lays it out there plain and simple. You can hear it from clicking on the Listen Now on the webpage I posted.

Others, may want to go to about the 4 minute mark to hear their response to the question:
"You didn’t say ‘we’re making this satirical film that’s going to be very anti-religion, will you be interviewed for it?’ "

And at about 6 minutes in when Terry Gross asks:
“You tried to shoot at the vatican and you were thrown out. What did you want to shoot there?”

I pray Fr. Foster has been relieved of his duties… 😊
My husband and I just shook our heads in sadness hearing about his involvement with the film.

It goes downhill from there, as one would expect, but I did like Terry’s questions for them and the way she presented them. But geez…this film and Oprah’s New Earth/Secret campaign is going to set this nation further back. Our work as Christians is under attack, most definitely.
 
Bill Maher and Larry Charles were interviewed on NPRs Fresh Air today that I happened to catch while in the car.

Those who are curious as to his motivation behind the film will find the full interview interesting in that Bill lays it out there plain and simple. You can hear it from clicking on the Listen Now on the webpage I posted.

Others, may want to go to about the 4 minute mark to hear their response to the question:
"You didn’t say ‘we’re making this satirical film that’s going to be very anti-religion, will you be interviewed for it?’ "

And at about 6 minutes in when Terry Gross asks:
“You tried to shoot at the vatican and you were thrown out. What did you want to shoot there?”

I pray Fr. Foster has been relieved of his duties… 😊
My husband and I just shook our heads in sadness hearing about his involvement with the film.

It goes downhill from there, as one would expect, but I did like Terry’s questions for them and the way she presented them. But geez…this film and Oprah’s New Earth/Secret campaign is going to set this nation further back. Our work as Christians is under attack, most definitely.
Yes, interesting how the ‘progressives’ take us backwards.
And of course the danger is the gullible will accept the idea that ‘organized religion’ is bad. This just sets the stage for more bigotry and hatred, and could easily, in the future, make it ‘acceptable’ to close churches, openly persecute Christians, etc. satan knows how to work his plan in small stages. Much like those today want to take away small rights (smoking bans, etc.) and it could easily lead to telling us how many children we are allowed to have tomorrow. We really need to be vigilant as Christians. Never think “it can’t happen here.”
 
I’m going to go see it before making any judgments about it.
 
i just saw bill maher on jon stewart. he says he is not judgmental, he just asks people how they are so certain.

of course, he made many remarks about palin and that she believes.

on the show he and jon stewart were both disrespectful and poking fun at the “Jesus” impersonator at the Holy Land amusement park. he compared him to an elvis impersonator.
 
I’m going to go see it before making any judgments about it.
If one goes to see it, however, it appears to others as if one is supporting it.
Knowing Maher’s history of bigotry, it’s not likely he suddenly became respectful of Christianity.

Just want to suggest to all concerned to join the Catholic League and help fight anti-Catholic bias. The League has also worked against the bigotry aimed at others, as well.
 
i just saw bill maher on jon stewart. he says he is not judgmental, he just asks people how they are so certain.

of course, he made many remarks about palin and that she believes.

on the show he and jon stewart were both disrespectful and poking fun at the “Jesus” impersonator at the Holy Land amusement park. he compared him to an elvis impersonator.
Well, watching that Jon Stewart interview, the fact that Jon says “Your quest is to just know…It feels like curiosity for people who are certain You seem to be saying ’ How are you so certain?’”

Bill says he’s just asking questions that people are never confronted with because once someone answers “It’s my faith” questions stop, and in this movie he keeps the questions coming.

Now, if the movie really does come off as one of questioning the certainty of faith, then this could have a positive effect on the viewer who goes to see it thinking it’s to affirm their non-belief. We don’t know how many people will walk out of the theaters with some of those questions stuck in their minds (planted seeds) and it’s quite likely that the Spirit will tap them enough to move them to seek answers.

This could be a great opportunity for the rest of us believers to be ready. Here’s a movie that people might start talking about around the water cooler. Instead of us bashing or dismissing Bill Maher, stick around to find out what impact the film had on the person and use the opportunity to answer some of their questions.

If the movie hits my area I’ll probably go see it to be ready to deal with the aftermath. If it doesn’t come this far out then I’ll have to wait for the DVD to rent, but I do think it could be a good tool for us.
 
If indeed Maher is actually seeking the truth and is sincere, I don’t believe he would use an anti-Christian movie to find the answer. Instead he would seek quietly, read, and ask sincere leaders such as priests, etc.
Again, if one goes to see the movie to find out what is behind it, you are financially supporting it. If it turns out to be another slam against Christians, why on earth would you want any money towards it?? I repeat: the best avenue in cases like this is to support The Catholic League which deals with bigotry against the Church daily. A wonderful organization that has made a huge difference!
 
(if you think I posted this first in “Non Catholic Religions”, you’re right! 😃 )

From the arch-devil Screwtape, regarding “humor” of Mahar’s usage:
*"…flippancy is the best of all. In the first place it is very economical. Only a clever human can make a real Joke about virtue, or indeed about anything else; any of them can be trained to talk as if virtue were funny. Among flippant people the Joke is always assumed to have been made. No one actually makes it; but every serious subject is discussed in a manner which implies that they have already found a ridiculous side to it. If prolonged, the habit of Flippancy builds up around a man the finest armour-plating against the Enemy *(God in Screwtape-speak) that I know, and it is quite free from the dangers inherent in the other sources of laughter. It is a thousand miles away from joy it deadens, instead of sharpening, the intellect; and it excites no affection between those who practice it…"
from The Screwtape Letters: XI by CS Lewis
 
I was flipping through the channel the other day and came across Larry King Live. On the show he had the ever controversial Bill Maher (i think i spelled his name correctly, it may be Mahar.)

During the interview the two of them talked about the new documentary that Bill Maher is producing. I believe the title of it is going to be “RELIG-I-DICULOUS”. As in Religion is Ridiculous.

I was just wondering if any of you saw the interview or have heard anything about this documentary? It is being released by Lions Gate which is a major company.

Bill Maher described it as a way to show how idiotic believers are. He also said he goes to the rock where Mohammad was “raised up” to heaven, the Vatican, the Wailing Wall, and Salt Lake City among other religious sites.

It will be done in a Michael Moore fashion of Mocking and a Satirical look.

Just wondering on your thoughts.
I know the Bible tells us not to hate our enemies, but, DAY-um! some of them make it tough.
 
I’m sure Mr Maher will get from people of faith everything he was expecting to get by making this movie…kind of “proving a point” if you will.
 
As far as I am aware the left/right political scale is one of economic scope with communism/socialism on the left and conservatism on the right. Politics also has a second scale which has authoritarian at the top and Libitarian at the bottom. I fall very much into the Centralist Libitarian area (neither right nor left) Obama is slightly right of centre and slightly authoritarian.

It is the Authoritarian ideologies which are about surrendering rights to freedom etc examples of puplic people with Authoritarian ideologies are Stalin, Hitler, Bush, Palin etc Stalin was an extreme left authoritarian, the other 3 are right authoritarian (suprisingly Hiltler is the least right with Palin the most right)

As far as Jesus is concerned we are reading from completely different books, in the Bibles that I have (I have several editions and copies) Jesus is described as a mild man, his message is one of peace (not appeasement) and bar the occasion when he got angry in the temple he confronted hostility in much the same way as Gandi did. He was not intolerant, he never claimed to be king of kings, he did say go forth and use your tongue to talk to the people, the spirit allowed the disciples to talk in many tongues so that everyone could listen and hear.

If anyone is blinded by satan and doing the devils work for them it is those that come out with intolerant retoric and refuse to discuss and reach common ground. Much of the passage that you have typed above is factually inaccurate, more rights and freedoms have been confiscated by rebublicans especially the current administration. In fact your passage is propaganda and more akin to the extremism that threatens the western world and wants to destroy liberty, do you really want to be the devils pawn?
They have meds for these delusions nowadays.
 
Maher is the secular counterpart to the televangelists, or the modern equalvalent of Red Foxx. Without the outrage, his carre doesn’t exist.
He reminds me more of the late George Carlin, who also had no love for religion.
 
I’m sure Mr Maher will get from people of faith everything he was expecting to get by making this movie…kind of “proving a point” if you will.
We definitely need to pray for Maher and others like him who have become so confused. As I read my monthly Catholic League newsletter, I’ve found more and more people to pray for. One can’t help but wonder if such people have ever taken the time to think that they, (like all of us), must one day make an account of their lives directly to God.

Has anyone heard about the new movie “An American Carol”?
 
Maher is clearly confused and has sold out on his conscience. Time for the Divine Physician! Let’s pray the Holy Spirit comes upon him and he turn from his prejudice and hatred.
I second this.

I also don’t think this film will do well…AT ALL. I have heard that American Carol is also out now, poking fun at the left. Should be an interesting box office weekend. But, I don’t see Maher’s film doing well…he is too negative, and while he might have some fans who’ll see it, I just don’t see it being a box office smash. Not even close. Not sure why I feel that way, but it looks very empty.

Seeing a movie is an expensive proposition these days. Almost $10 to get in, sans the refreshments. People like movies with real grit and substance nowadays to pay that, and this looks really hollow. (from what I’ve read and the coming attractions I’ve seen) Just my thoughts.
 
You are so right, and I have no idea why I am being attacked, except I dare to defend our country and its principles, which are strongly Christian in nature.

Dear Lord,
We ask You to speak to all hearts that they may understand the importance of respecting Your children, just as You should be respected. We ask that you send Your Holy Spirit down upon those who mock Your teachings and belittle Your followers, as we know You love even those who mock Your truths for huge profits. Please heal our nation and give our citizens a voice in entertainment, government and elsewhere when they proclaim Your truth. Remind all that we are a nation founded on Christian principles, and if we dare forget that, we will not survive. Touch all hearts, dear Lord. Amen.
Our enemies should be rejoicing today, as the greatest socialist power-grab in all history was accomplished in broad daylight.

God save us all.
 
I’ve just watched the Religulous movie, it was virtually sold out (5:40 pm Sat 10/4/2008 at AMC Vet 24) in the one Tampa theatre that is showing it. It is not widely released yet, and may never be. I’ll probably see it one more time (in St. Pete) to get all the details since I was standing up the whole time (uncomfortable).

The main themes of the movie seem to be “Doubt vs. Certainty” i.e. the “rational” people (like Bill Maher) who question religion vs. the “irrational” who are “certain” about their religion and never ask themselves the supposedly “hard” questions being asked by Bill Maher. Also, how some “End Times” beliefs of religions could lead us to a nuclear holocaust. He mixes up all religions and doesn’t make proper distinctions, they are all equally ridiculous: traditional Catholicism with the lunatic fringes of some fundamentalist Christianities, orthodox Judaism with Scientology, mainstream Islam with radical terrorist suicide bombers, etc.

Although the movie does try to interview a few “reasonable” people in these religions: e.g. Francis Collins (geneticist and evangelical Christian author of The Language of God), Fr. George Coyne (former Vatican Astronomer), and the actor playing “Jesus” at the Orlando theme park seemed half-way intelligent to me. I wish he would release the full unedited versions of these interviews, since they seemed to be able to answer Maher’s “tough” questions (e.g. the “toughest” to Bill Maher seems to be about the Virgin Birth of Jesus, which he calls the “Immaculate Conception” at one point which shows he doesn’t understand the term). Also a couple of Muslims during the movie that seemed reasonable to me (they didn’t take the Koran literally in parts, and implied it should be interpreted in its historical/cultural context, etc).

Various sites of the Holy Land were visited as well. What Bill Maher needs is to take the tour of the Holy Land and get educated by Steve Ray’s Footprints of God Pilgrimages group. 😛

The Jesus vs. Horus, Mithras, Krishna “pagan parallel” thing was brought up briefly so here again are my demolition articles on that:

Parallel Pagan “Saviors” Examined

All About Horus: An Egyptian Copy of Christ?

Overall, I give the mockumentary a 3 out of 5 stars. The movie certainly does mock the “fringes” of some religions, but it wasn’t so bad since he does interview some reasonable people mentioned above. Also Bill Maher admits he still prayed and “made deals” with God when he was 40. He doesn’t call himself an atheist in the movie (I don’t recall at least), but simply a “I don’t know” person (e.g. agnostic). I think there is still hope for him if he would stick to interviewing and finding out from the knowledgeable folks out there who have answered all his “tough” questions (i.e. Peter Kreeft Handbook of Christian Apologetics and William Lane Craig Reasonable Faith for two books).

Phil P
 
We need to keep praying, fasting, offering up, etc. for people like Bill Maher. I’ve known others like him, and in truth, they are angry, unhappy, ‘lost’ people.They desperately need the truth.

A bit off topic here, but just a reminder to also do the above (praying, fasting, offering up) for the up-coming election. We pray we won’t wake up some morning and find we have no right to attend Mass, voice opinions, (we’re already censored there, quite often) and that being Catholic is ‘unlawful.’ So it’s ‘bigtime’ reparation time. I am saying novenas daily for this. Those who want to enslave us are lying openly just to sway voters to support the anti-life, anti-Christian crowd, and the media will ‘cover’ for them, telling us the ‘polls’ all lean to the Left.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but just a reminder. God bless!
 
Our enemies should be rejoicing today, as the greatest socialist power-grab in all history was accomplished in broad daylight.

God save us all.
Sailor Kenshin, you are SO right! I can’t recall when I’ve heard more lies, nor when I saw such gullible people believe them. Time for more prayer, fasting, etc.
 
he lost me when i saw a photo of him dressed up as steve irwin with a sting rays spine in his chest.
even south park… made fun of him about that. People or comedians who resort to shock tatics instead of humour, are normaly on the way out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top