MSNBC Opus Dei

  • Thread starter Thread starter TPJCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would not be a hard story to put on TV, because a common media theme is - the Church does not focus on the laity. Opus Dei is in sense a ministry not exclusive to the laity, but a great deal of their work is teaching the laity how to live Christ-filled lives in today’s modern and hectic world.
 
I will pray that Chris Matthews has a great conversion and finds all the good fruit in Opus Dei.:amen:
 
Hildebrand,

I cannot think of many groups more lay based then Opus Dei. Its entire purpose is to teach lay Catholics how to live the faith right in the middle of the world where they are. You would think OD would be one group the media loves, yet the problem is OD calls lay Catholics to be Catholic (and the media wants nothing to do with real Catholics).
 
My husband just heard that Matthews’ show will feature Fr. Michael Barrett (?name), an Opus Dei priest from Houston. If this is true then maybe we’ll at least get some factual information to counter the usual Chris Matthews snideness.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
chicago,

In Matthew’s promo for the OD spot, he showed a couple of female former OD members that were being very critical of OD. I really do not think Matthew’s has any desire to get it right–it will be a typical blast fest wrapped in a false shroud of being fair and balanced.
You may well be right. But it should be interesting to hear an articluate representative of OD provided with the opportunity to respond, also.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Hildebrand,

I cannot think of many groups more lay based then Opus Dei. Its entire purpose is to teach lay Catholics how to live the faith right in the middle of the world where they are. You would think OD would be one group the media loves, yet the problem is OD calls lay Catholics to be Catholic (and the media wants nothing to do with real Catholics).
I know. Less than 2% of Opus Dei members are priests.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Seriously, just once wouldn’t you like to see the media get something right about the faith?
Well, EWTN is part of the media, and they, from occasional time to time, get a few things right about our faith. Or at least it so seems. I may be wrong.
 
40.png
Richardols:
Well, EWTN is part of the media, and they, from occasional time to time, get a few things right about our faith. Or at least it so seems. I may be wrong.
I believe he was referring to the secular media, and by secular I do not mean secular in a connoting way or demeaning way, I mean non-religious.
 
40.png
Hildebrand:
I believe he was referring to the secular media, and by secular I do not mean secular in a connoting way or demeaning way, I mean non-religious.
If so, then secular media, rather than media, should have been used. It’s not easy to guess what people really mean when they use overly general terms in their posts.
 
40.png
Richardols:
If so, then secular media, rather than media, should have been used. It’s not easy to guess what people really mean when they use overly general terms in their posts.
:rolleyes:
 
40.png
Richardols:
If so, then secular media, rather than media, should have been used. It’s not easy to guess what people really mean when they use overly general terms in their posts.
Come on, it was obvious what was meant! What is harder to understand is why you bothered to post.
 
I definitely have some questions about Opus Dei. I was interested, and first heard about it on this forum, in a different thread that I started, and I just got through watching the MSNBC show. I think I understand why a few people I know are so very orthodox…they must be Opus Dei members! I want to be very orthodox, but I don’t want to be in a cult. I’m considering Opus Dei, but the website is kind of vague, I sort of understand what it’s all about…but I don’t understand what the difference between being an ordinary Catholic and being an Opus Dei member is. Is it, in any way, a sect of the Catholic Church? I don’t want to be a part of that. There are no centers, according to the site, near to me, so I don’t know if I could join or whatever, anyways.

Anyone have any thoughts on what Opus Dei is about? It seems very mysterious to me. Thanks!
 
I am not at all surprised that people had bad experiences with Opus Dei, there are and will always be people dissatistifed with the organizations they are apart of. The mere fact the woman who left Opus Dei could not identify an apple, is a prime example.

Throughout the history of the Church, people have thought they must submit reason and logic to faith, when in reality our faith is affirmed in many ways by reason and logic. Read Summa Theologica and other fine Catholics works. There has always been a great scholasticism in the Church. Anyone who separates faith from reason, and makes Christianity a complete blind obedience to things contrary to reason is at the least misguided, very misguided.

Also, throughout the history of the Church, there have been some lay and religious people, guided by zeal, who did some terrible things. They preached a Crusade against the Jews, took the law into their own hands and burned accused heretics, etc. There have been these type of imprudent people in all large groups. They take a segment of the message (or sometimes the whole message) and run with it, going to the extreme. So of course there may be some in Opus Dei who are imprudent and who do go to the extreme by demanding complete blind obedience… I don’t know for sure, but it appears they are in the very tiny minority.

Was the apple woman (sorry, I forget her name) actually shocked that the person who got her in Opus Dei was an Opus Dei member? There is too much of what she said that make me believe she normally does not think for herself, which is a severe negative for any Catholic (and anyone) for obvious reasons. I want to watch the re-airing of this tonight, to make for sure that I am getting this right. So… Person X comes up to you and asks you to join Organization X, and you don’t ask person X if they are apart of Organization X and what are their experiences there? Isn’t it a given if someone asks you to join the Sierra Club, you are probably talking to a Sierra Club member. (Anyone want to join the Democratic Party, I will help you join. Oh, yeah, BTW, I am a Republican, say what?).

I was shocked that Chris Matthews gave her the time of day. At least get a better person to attack Opus Dei next time. 😉
 
So what’s the verdict? Was gilliam on the money with his prediction? And tell me about this “apple lady”. Details, I want details!
 
That interviewer was so rude! He couldn’t stop interupting.
 
40.png
JKirkLVNV:
That interviewer was so rude! He couldn’t stop interupting.
Actually, he was much better than he usually is; in fact, I was pleasantly surprised at the relative consideration he showed. And I often wonder why, when interrupted, the guests don’t just say, “I’ll answer only if you give me time to finish my statement.”

I’m sure this is of minimal interest, but I, too, would like to know more about the apple! Why did the mother ask her to identify the apple in the first place? Is this weird or what? :confused:

Anna
 
40.png
Digitonomy:
So what’s the verdict? Was gilliam on the money with his prediction? And tell me about this “apple lady”. Details, I want details!
Matthews did the questioning and really did not take sides. Although it must be added, he (his program) gave legitimacy to the side claiming Opus Dei is a cult by not taking a side. Both sides were presentsed ok.

The pro-Opus Dei side received more coverage based on the fact that just covering Opus Dei, their works and fruits… the conclusions are absolutely positive and display that Opus Dei is a great organization.

The apple lady was a former Opus Dei member and made accusations that Opus Dei made her lose the ability to think for herself. So much so, when her mother asked if an apple she had in front of her was indeed an apple… the apple lady in effect wanted to wait for the guidance of the Church to make her decision. :rotfl: I’m sorry, but it is just too funny. (It is so unbelievable, I have to hear it a second time to be for sure.)
 
40.png
Hmarie:
Anyone have any thoughts on what Opus Dei is about? It seems very mysterious to me. Thanks!
Woo hoo! I figured out how to quote someone!!! 🙂

Sorry, it takes so little to amuse me sometimes… Anyway, Hmarie-- I am a supernumerary member of Opus Dei, so I’ll take a stab at this if I can.

Opus Dei is “about” helping people become saints in and through their everyday lives. I am a housewife with seven children, ages eleven and under. They keep my quite busy. Opus Dei helps me try to grow in virtue and love of God by taking care of my kids and husband and housework. Instead of viewing the stuff of everyday life as an obstacle to holiness, we view it as the means.

In practice, that means the following:
an intense prayer and sacramental life: daily Mass and Rosary, daily spiritual reading and an hour of mental prayer (half-hour morning, half-hour afternoon or evening); going to confession each week and a “circle” (talks about some aspect of the Faith, virtues, family life, etc.) every week.
doing my best work for love of God: we try to work very well, both externally (quality work, finishing the job through to completion, avoiding laziness, etc.) and internally (using work to unite ourselves with Christ and Our Lady, offering up work for various intentions of family and friends, working with the right intention and not out of pride or self-seeking.)
apostolate, or helping others come closer to God. Our apostolate is one-on-one, with our friends. Opus Dei members don’t go door to door or stand outside of Mass handing out flyers. My apostolate with my friends varies with each friend. With non-Christians, it may simply be a matter of giving good example or clearing up their misconceptions about Christianity, and always being ready to discuss my faith with them if I sense any openess. With non-Catholic Christians, largely the same, although as you already know, the nuts and bolts of their questions and concerns will often be different. With Catholics, it means many things: trying to help the lapsed to return to the sacraments, trying to help the confused better understand the teachings of the Church, and especially those who are already on the same page, trying to encourage them to grow deeper in their relationship with Christ, perhaps by tyring to pray each day or get to Mass more frequently.

This is probably far more than you ever wanted to know. Sorry for rambling on so much. I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask if you have more specific questions.

Best,

Margaret

Even if there’s no center in your city, there may still be recollections every two or three months, depending on where you are. You can message me privately with your location if you’d like me to look into it, or else check with the “official” website.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top