Music Composed by the Devil Himself

  • Thread starter Thread starter MelindaUK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m familiar with the piece and don’t believe music so beautiful could have been inspired by the Devil. (Anyhow, Judaism has a whole different take on Satan, which I’ve discussed in other threads.) People also said that the violin virtuoso, Paganini, was in league with the Devil because of his astonishing brilliance and virtuosity, as well as his eccentricities. I doubt that too.
Yep, and they said it about Robert Johnson too. I don’t believe any of those stories. It’s always a person whose music is very difficult to play. Why? It was difficult, brilliant, and nobody else could play it, therefore he must have been “cheating”.

Nobody said that about me and the only kind of “music” I can play is so bad that it sounds like something the Devil would have sent to torment us.
 
I used to listen to Satanic music when I used to be heavy into Heavy Metal. Even though I’m still tempted to go back since some of the music itself was actually very melodic, I try to resist the temptation since I know it comes with baggage that is bad for my soul. Satan can appear as an angel of light, but he’s the master of deceit and hates all of us with a passion that we can’t even fathom. …
I agree with your point, and I’m glad that you extracted yourself from heavy metal. Still, I think that there has to be some objective reason for rejecting a piece of music. This piece by Tartini is just in the same vein as other Italian baroque music.
 
I know of the piece but I can’t play it, as I’m just an autodidact fiddler. I think Tartini was just being a good salesman when he told that story. Paganini played a similar role. There are a number of tunes in the same order. the Devil among the Tailors, the Devils Dream, come to mind. I can actually play the last one. That the Devil exists, I do not doubt. But the idea of someone selling his soul to the Devil for temporal success is in the Faustian tradition. It is sensationalism more than reality, and if the Devil is any way involved, it is when we abuse God-given talents. Tartini’s story may be offensive but his music came from the Creator of all beauty. I cannot see any reason not to enjoy it and praise God that He has so wonderously made us.
 
I pretty much Olivia Newton-John’s music, but seriously, you ever listen to the lyrics of her big 1980 hit “Magic”? The eerie music, the lyrics, “Come take my hand, you should know me, I’ve always been in your mind…and I’m guiding you…”

That certainly reeks of a demonic influence.
 
I pretty much Olivia Newton-John’s music, but seriously, you ever listen to the lyrics of her big 1980 hit “Magic”? The eerie music, the lyrics, “Come take my hand, you should know me, I’ve always been in your mind…and I’m guiding you…”

That certainly reeks of a demonic influence.
It could just as easily be referring to Jesus guiding someone.

Honestly, if you really tried, you could read “demonic influence” into pretty much anything and probably 99.9 % of the time it would be incorrect.
 
Does the song need words? Certain notes or chords or something can play on a part of the brain that can depress someone. There was that Gloomy Sunday song of old. It had words, but also certain instrumental backgrounds that can depress. A singer could sing in a saddening way, like Layne Staley of Alice in Chains’s “Down in a Hole.” (I think that’s the title). Any case, the music may affect one subconsciously. That’s my point. Of course, any more, you’ll have people excuse Hitler, because making the buses run on time is a good thing. Why not excuse the HHS mandate, because some will get cheap healthcare? That’s the faulty thinking of the New Faithful that don’t mind abuses of the liturgy and campy music. We need to wake up and smell the stench–all of it–and realize some things must go (not the Mass, but the campy aggionamento and it’s weak thinking). It’s grown in strength so gradually, we’ve been like frogs in the proverbial pot.
 
I was sceptical at first. But when the violin started screeching in Latin backwards I was convinced.
 
It’s no more of a sin than listening to The Devil Went Down to Georgia
 
I listen to it nearly daily ever since I first heard it played by an old man one winter night on coming back from dinner with my boyfriend and walking back to my house. It was almost like a strange dream. The window to his living room was open and he was playing the violin, I just stopped and stood there to listen to it even though it was snowing, when it was over I stepped closer to that window and asked the old man what he had just played, he told me it was the “Devil’s Trill”. I can’t get this melody out of my head, it’s so beautiful, it’s difficult to imagine that it may have been composed by the devil. I also wonder what harm music could possibly do, it doesn’t hurt anyone, it doesn’t corrupt my morality so why is it bad?
:hmmm:

I’m sorry, but this whole scenario sounds really odd to me. Perhaps it really was just a strange dream. An old man had his window open one winter night when it was snowing such that you could hear him playing a song? That is odd in itself. The elderly generally get cold easier than younger folks, so having a window open when it is snowing outside is pretty odd. Did it scare him or startle him at all to have a strange person speak to him through said open window? Maybe the old man was actually the bad dude himself trying to lure you to the dark side with his music, kinda like the Pied Piper of Hamelin?😃
 
The devil went down to Georgia…

:whackadoo:
HAhahahahahaha!!

Very good!

Seriously though…It was a dream. Most likely the composer invented a tale about his music or actually had a dream to this effect.

It is incredibly superstitious to believe everything we hear about the devil and put down as fact.
 
seems we (us folks on the forum) are here for fun and games. Check out Melinda’s other threads/posts with age inconsistancies etc.

I smell a troll. (and it ain’t me)
 
My opinion: It wasn’t composed by the devil; it was composed by Tartini.

Considering that my last dream involved me driving down a highway to meet Daniel Boone at Home Depot (which was very important for some reason), I wouldn’t put too much stock in dreams.
👍

The tritone (a.k.a. Devil’s Chord or Diabolus in musica) was once avoided by the Church and composers especially for sacred music because it sounded so dissonant and evoking evil to the ears at the time, that it had to have been from the devil. There are stories of the Church excommunicating composers for using it… how true they are is another story, but it does demonstrate how serious people were at the time with its use. The Church no longer .feels that way about the chord and composers can use tritones as much as they like now.

If someone really feels that a piece of music or anything can be bad for them, then by all means avoid it. Although the piece is beautiful, there are just as beautiful works from the time period. I think the story is just that… a story.
 
Eminem…Not Afraid

Listen to it. Good song, full of foul language but I honestly think it has a good message.

I don’t think music can be evil…it can have an evil message or a good one.
 
It could just as easily be referring to Jesus guiding someone.

Honestly, if you really tried, you could read “demonic influence” into pretty much anything and probably 99.9 % of the time it would be incorrect.
True, but Jesus does not work with “Magic” so it cant be him 🙂
 
I dont mean to derail the thread, but can music with occult lyrics be sinful? Can they also conjure up evil by playing the record out loud?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top