My husband called my daughter a jacka**

  • Thread starter Thread starter constantconvert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s also note that you had a hand in the genesis of this dispute.

If you decided that your husband did not have to do dishes, then you ought to have let your daughter know that her issue was with you, not with her dad, because he wasn’t the one that put the duty on to her. If it was you, then you ought to handle the push-back. If this was a joint decision, one still has to wonder how was it that you left your husband to defend it?

If you have resentments towards your husband over his failure to do dishes and think he ought to be doing his share, why is it fair to hand the problem off to your older kids to confront him with? If you feel he is not doing his part, then you ought to square off with him over it, and not just hand the problem off to the kids. If you think he was being unfair in handing his work off on the kids over your objections, you should have had it out with him before he tried to pull that or else given your children permission to keep doing the night that you parents and the kids had agreed on.
I made the original schedule, because I was tired of cleaning the kitchen every night. It seemed to be fair. But my husband will not do it. I asked him to please trade with someone if he didn’t want to do his night(s) but after a few weeks I figured out that he wasn’t going to do it at all. I wasn’t going to nag him, so I just changed the roster. I didn’t think it was wrong to give each of the girls an extra night, they’re both old enough.
 
Why won’t your husband clean up when he’s asked to? Does he give a reason?
 
It would be better not to carry on anything more than low-drama differences of opinion and not to correct your husband in front of anyone.
I didn’t speak to him about it in front of the kids. We don’t fight in front of them.
 
I made the original schedule, because I was tired of cleaning the kitchen every night. It seemed to be fair. But my husband will not do it. I asked him to please trade with someone if he didn’t want to do his night(s) but after a few weeks I figured out that he wasn’t going to do it at all. I wasn’t going to nag him, so I just changed the roster. I didn’t think it was wrong to give each of the girls an extra night, they’re both old enough.
Oh, OK. In that case, when your daughter starts attacking your husband, consider telling her that her issue is with you, not him, because you made the decision and you think it is fair. I’d question whether it was wise to set up the new kitchen schedule unilaterally, without getting your husband to at least agree in principle, but that is water under the bridge, and not outside what some couples do.

It is going to be hard for her to argue that your husband’s contribution of earning the money to buy the food is so inconsequential that it is too much to ask the kids to clean the dishes. She’ll try it, but the argument doesn’t hold water.

If you work for a salary, too, she may say, “Well, you work and you make money, and you’re still working in the kitchen! Why can’t he?” to which you can say, “If I’m generous to my own husband, that is no business of yours.” (This is true even if your husband has no job.) “You’re not being asked to do more than your share around here. I’ve decided that this is an appropriate amount of household chores for you, if not a bit on the light side, to be blunt. Were I you, I would expect regular increases until you get a home of your own to take care of. Then you’ll see what a good deal you have here.”

She may want to negotiate her chores. Be open to that. Maybe she’ll be willing to cook and do dishes one night a week, in return for avoiding the increase in dish nights. It is hard to tell. But if she is willing to be respectful about it, be open to what she has to say. You never know, sometimes teens come up with very creative solutions.

Teens are often hard, all the same. Some of us float through without any major parent-child conflicts, but that is not the rule. My kids say all sorts of things I would never have said, and I find myself saying all sorts of things I swore I’d never say myself! You fall off the horse, you get back on. None of us had perfect parents, and even Our Lord had misunderstandings with his earthly parents, so we can figure the teen years will have some tense times. Hang in there, you aren’t going through anything out of the ordinary!
 
Please pray for my family. Here’s the story. My teenage daughter is being very difficult, though she’s still basically a good kid-- good grades, lives morally for the most part, though she can be disrespectful and angry. Anyway, my husband is supposed to clean the kitchen on Fri and Sat nights after dinner, and he does not do it. (He and I are supposed to clean 2 nights a week, and our 3 kids one night a week.) I got tired of doing it so I gave my older two kids an extra night each. My daughter balked at that, and told my husband he was immature, and he called her a jacka**. She should not have said that, and I told her to show respect. I was very upset with him, though I did not show it, I just calmly told him that he was never to call our kids names (he has called me names, and he has quite a temper.) Could name calling be considered abusive? What should I do if it happens again?
Oh no… I have to do dishes one more time.

/r/firstworldproblems

Lah me.
 
Name calling falls under the category of emotional abuse. What he’s doing is very dangerous for your daughter. The way he treats your daughter sets the stage and tone for how she learns how men are supposed to treat her. It is very common to find women who are victims of domestic violence came from emotionally abusive homes where the father was emotionally abusive to them.
 
Please pray for my family. Here’s the story. My teenage daughter is being very difficult, though she’s still basically a good kid-- good grades, lives morally for the most part, though she can be disrespectful and angry. Anyway, my husband is supposed to clean the kitchen on Fri and Sat nights after dinner, and he does not do it. (He and I are supposed to clean 2 nights a week, and our 3 kids one night a week.) I got tired of doing it so I gave my older two kids an extra night each. My daughter balked at that, and told my husband he was immature, and he called her a jacka**. She should not have said that, and I told her to show respect. I was very upset with him, though I did not show it, I just calmly told him that he was never to call our kids names (he has called me names, and he has quite a temper.) Could name calling be considered abusive? What should I do if it happens again?
Dear constantconvert, I’m so sorry. It seems that anger and ugly words are really escalating within your home (from what you mentioned about your husband having already called you names previously and that “he has quite a temper.”) Now he and your teen daughter are having heated disputes. I’m sure there is always hope if we just pause a moment. Here are some things you might consider:

1-How do you and your husband get along otherwise, before you assigned him the Friday and Saturday night clean ups?

2-What would happen if you tried to have a “Family Meeting?” Would this be too “New Age” for your husband? Would he become even more resentful? (I can see why the teens rebelled here: they feel they’re doing extra work that their father might consider doing on Friday and Sat. nights after dinner, out of kindness and respect for you.)

3-We women face challenges with different kinds of husbands. Yours has a bad temper and he resents helping. You* could* put your foot down, call a Family Meeting, and hope everyone has a quiet, respectful conversation. If, however, that sounds like Mission Impossible, you may need some real family counseling with professionals.

4-Does your family attend Mass regularly together? If yes, you might find a time right after Mass to speak to your husband if he’s more approachable and tender-hearted then.

5-If Mass is not at the center of your family life, now would be a good time to resume making it so.

6-Verbal abuse is abuse. But a one- time, heat- of -the- moment exchange is different from escalating or continual, explosive outbursts. I pray your husband will not continue in this vein. Words can hurt and change us, but there can also be healing if Christ is at the center of your home. People *can *change for the better. Just know that you are all beloved of God and everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Children can only learn from their parents how to one day make their own homes. Chaos is not a good training ground.

An example: I knew a dear lady years ago whose husband was kind, considerate in almost every way, but he would. not. help. around. the. house. Ever. Also, if there was a family picnic, his wife and two sons had to prepare everything and pack the car while he sat in the parlor. He felt strongly that he did his part by providing food and shelter. We all know the type. So, he felt everyone else needed to do their part.

But his wife worked full time at a grueling job outside the home! She also did all the cooking and cleaning. He never took that into consideration. I met the man. He was very friendly, and was a good father except for the example he did NOT set in treating his wife like a lady on picnic day.

To my mind, he was a real jerk about sitting in a chair while his wife and sons packed up for these picnics, and for feeling that his (higher) income was the “important” one. In my opinion, it does not matter if a lady goes outside to earn an income or not: her husband should, either way, treat her with kindness and respect, and love her “as Christ loves the Church.” I know other husbands who are virtual household angels but who never tell their wives that they love them. “Go Figure.” as they say. The mind reels.

One would think that all husbands would do all they could, out of respect for their wives, to show their children by example, how a husband and father acts. In a perfect world, the ladies would also be models of cheeriness and support for hard working fellows. Nowadays, most couples both face the outside workaday world and come home more than a bit cranky and exhausted. What a challenge!

Again, we ladies deal with unique husbands, some with little quirks and some with real issues that need immediate resolutions. Only you know how to handle yours, but please don’t allow all this yelling and anger to escalate. Get outside, professional help if this ugly name calling and anger towards yourself or your children continues.

For now, could you speak to him privately, quietly and see if you could explain to him how you feel about being the sole cleanup person in the household? And let him know it’s vital that all this verbal ugliness stops. It’s not good if you feel exhausted and if no one is helping at all. But perhaps some balance can be found, and that’s what I pray for. We ladies need a strong sense of humor, an eye on the overall situation and the Blessed Mother as an example. Our Lady is calm, compassionate, and, I think, the Queen of Justice. Our Heavenly Father knows what you are each going through. He can provide the balance. People can change, if they open their hearts to the Mind of Christ.

Best wishes,
Kathryn Ann:heaven::grouphug::heaven:
 
A habit of name-calling and personal attacks is abusive, but losing it with your teen or your dad once is something that is best not blown out of proportion.
I was very upset with him, though I did not show it, I just calmly told him that he was never to call our kids names (he has called me names, and he has quite a temper.) Could name calling be considered abusive? What should I do if it happens again?
This is obviously not a one time thing.
 
Kathryn Ann, my husband does not practice his faith. That’s really the crux of the problem. I must keep a good attitude, and be thankful for my many blessings, despite that. Thank you for your prayers.
 
Hmmm… sorry, that doesn’t make it okay! She’s a teenager, he’s an adult. How sad it is when people think it’s not a big deal to call our children hurtful names! 😦
I could understand it happening once or twice out of anger. It’s happened to me. 🤷 But if it becomes a habit, then there could be an issue of emotional abuse.
 
Kathryn Ann, my husband does not practice his faith. That’s really the crux of the problem. I must keep a good attitude, and be thankful for my many blessings, despite that. Thank you for your prayers.
I understand. Please don’t be discouraged, dear sister in Christ! I have seen miracles come about from people who choose to count their blessings. We can all do that, and we can still stand firm in the knowledge that we are worthy of respect. I understand your meaning here and I know you’ll keep seeking just the right way to approach things. God bless you! Our Lady understands all, and so does our Heavenly Father. Miracles can happen, and often spring from a blend of realism and acts of faith.
All best prayers,
Kathryn Ann
 
My daughter balked at that, and told my husband he was immature, and he called her a jacka**.
Your daughter is right, he is immature. Backing out of a chore because he does not feel like it and then going off… Does it sound like a grown up? (Not that her presentation of the fact is correct.)
Teenagers are expected to be difficult in some things, but he is an adult and should know himself better, he should not react like a teenager.
You say that he has also called you names.
That is not right, even if he is angry, it does not show respect.
How often does it happen and what do you do about it? Do you talk to him about being more careful in expressing himself?
I would not want a husband who calls me such names, heat-of-the-moment or not.
 
Yes, they both owe each other amends. She is a drama queen and disrespectful-- mostly typical teenage stuff, and yes, it does get on your nerves, but we’re adults, we have to correct appropriately, IMO.

Perhaps I was wrong to give the kids those extra nights. My husband won’t do it, I’ve already spoken to him previously (he does nothing around the house). Should I have just kept doing it? I can tell her that from now on I will do it instead. I was just trying to divvy up the load, since I do all the cooking too.

When I called him on it, he said, well she shouldn’t act like one. I said, “I don’t care if she acts like something worse, you just can’t call your kid a name!” as for the flip side, he is immature, but you don’t call your dad something like that. I don’t know, to me it’s very discouraging to have manners erode like this. I mean, even if two people don’t like each other, they can at least be polite!!!

I seem to be more upset about it than either one of them. Maybe it’s not a big deal as some are saying.
It sounds to me as if your husband has aligned himself more as one of the kids, than as your partner and their father. This almost sounds like sibling rivalry to me, with you as the referee. Calling her dad immature doesn’t rank up there with the kind of labels I was getting when our son was in rebellion. Your hair would curl. :eek:

Does their dad work all day and still have to do chores at night? Have you ever discussed this with him and what does he say about it? I see no problem with the kids cleaning up every night, as long as their dad does other things around the house and doesn’t expect to be treated like a king on his throne.

Oh, and name-calling of you is out of bounds completely. My husband muttered, “Stupid” under his breath to me, in church, when I passed the collection basket the wrong way. It cut me to my core and taught me a lesson about what name-calling does to a person’s spirit. I came home from church and created a piece of “art” to remind me. It’s a large board that I pounded nails into, to remind me that words are like nails, and even if I say I am sorry (the nails get pulled out), the hole remains.

If my husband ever said such a thing to me again, I would tell him that I would not accept that any more, ever. I would tell him that if he does not love me, it is time to think about separation. Yes, I am serious. You can’t call a person, “Stupid” and still respect and love them. That came from somewhere deep inside him. I already know he is a very wounded individual but that doesn’t mean I have to put up with abuse.
 
Your daughter is right, he is immature. Backing out of a chore because he does not feel like it and then going off… Does it sound like a grown up? (Not that her presentation of the fact is correct.)
Teenagers are expected to be difficult in some things, but he is an adult and should know himself better, he should not react like a teenager.
You say that he has also called you names.
That is not right, even if he is angry, it does not show respect.
How often does it happen and what do you do about it? Do you talk to him about being more careful in expressing himself?
I would not want a husband who calls me such names, heat-of-the-moment or not.
The name calling doesn’t happen very often, and yes I do talk to him about it. I try to wait until the heat of the moment has passed and bring it up privately. No, I don’t want a husband like that either, but that’s the husband I have, and marriage lasts until death so what I want really isn’t the issue.
 
The name calling doesn’t happen very often, and yes I do talk to him about it. I try to wait until the heat of the moment has passed and bring it up privately. No, I don’t want a husband like that either, but that’s the husband I have, and marriage lasts until death so what I want really isn’t the issue.
That does not mean that you must put up with abuse.

😦

When you talk to your husband, what does he say? Does he justify his words, or does he make amends and then improve his behavior? If it is still happening then he is not making changes. I know my husband has a hard time seeing his own faults, he has narcissistic traits - thinks it’s everyone else’s problem and not his. He does not like to apologize and does not look too deeply at his own behavior.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top