My Journey Has Ended

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBomb.Com
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy trails! I will pray for you and we will leave the light on for you!
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

But you’re not there now. I feel like proving God’s existence isn’t that hard. Now, proving the Christian God’s existence, that is hard. Not impossible, but difficult.

It seems from your profile you are going to Episcopalianism, which is fine I’ve known encountered many Episcopalians in my lifetime and they are fine people. I’m not certain of your story, so I don’t know what original denomination you were raised in, if any.

I’m Catholic, but it’s because it is the Church I was born into and also I appreciate the tool boxes of the Rosary and Divine Office, along with the Daily Mass online. I also pride ourselves in being the most diverse Church out there. And Pope John Paul and Pope Francis are to me pivotal figures.

I wouldn’t leave the Catholic Church, even if the next Pope turns out to be a divisive one, which is what I’m sort of predicting. Instead, I would just be privately Catholic doing confession and going to local mass while still taking advantages of the tools.

So, it’s fine. I can understand why you made your choice and why it is the right choice for you.

Who knows, TB.C … I know many Episcopalians who (decades down the road) converted to Orthodox 😉

Just saying, brother … ya never know! 😃 God bless you! 😀

Last edited:
I feel the same way. My dad was a non practicing Lutheran, and I wasn’t really raised anything, but I always knew that Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church, even before becoming a Christian. (Let’s just say my family is religiously plural)

I was an Episcopalian for 7 years of my adult life prior to converting to Catholicism. I am thankful for the Episcopal Church, especially my priest at the time, for helping me look into church history. I know we believed we were one branch of the catholic church.

I think it was their moral teachings that first made me start to question how we know what what truth is and where it is found. I have pursued truth my entire life, no matter where that may take me. That’s why I converted to Catholicism.

Best wishes to you whether this is just the next stop or the permanent home for you. Always stay open to truth no matter where it leads you.

Two days ago, a prominent couple in the Catholic homeschooling community announced they had left the Church. This was after raising 10 kids in the faith, attending Mass regularly, praying the rosary, frequent reception of the sacraments (including confession), creating a free Catholic homeschooling curriculum that’s widely used, creating and selling Catholic planners… I don’t think anyone saw this coming. They gave a detailed explanation of their reasoning, which was multi-faceted and, to me, evidence that they had very carefully weighed this decision and found it the best current option.

And the responses they’ve gotten have been…mixed. Many have been supportive. Others have accused them of never really understanding the faith to begin with, knowingly giving in to the devil, hiding something like infidelity that has led them astray, reading Harry Potter and permitting demonic forces in their lives as a result… From my limited perspective, these sorts of responses are tragic. And they speak far, far more to those offering them than the two who’ve left the Church. Judgment, a sense of superiority, and pity are so inappropriate in these situations.

@TheBomb.Com, God bless and good luck.

40.png
gracepoole:
C’mon, now. How is this charitable?
I hope he/she feel as free as I did when I left. It was an immense burden that was lifted from me when the relentless feeling of guilt finally ended. And I know several other who have felt the same way. We usually leave for a very good reason.
All of that is worthy of discussion, certainly. Announcing “welcome to freedom” to someone who has abandoned an investigation into the Catholic faith, on a Catholic forum, strikes me as uncharitable. 🤷‍♀️

Right there with ya CJ…even when I was a bad Catholic and a sinner I could no more stop being a Catholic than I could stop being Irish-American or from Cleveland. My great-grandparents didn’t suffer and emigrate and my dad didn’t jump through all the hoops of converting over the disapproval of most of his relatives for me to turn around and chuck the Church.

I was an Episcopalian for 7 years of my adult life prior to converting to Catholicism. I am thankful for the Episcopal Church, especially my priest at the time, for helping me look into church history. I know we believed we were one branch of the catholic church.
Was this before or after Episcopalians had ordination of women? I know people who left after this issue. Just curious.

Everybody’s welcome here as long as they don’t act like a jerk 🙂

There is no way to prove God’s existence. There may be evidence to support God’s existence but that is not the same as proving it. I think it’s impossible to “prove” God’s existence on earth. I believe that according to the Church, belief in the Christianity requires faith(you can’t come to that conclusion from reason alone).

I’ve had a similar experience. Leaving felt so freeing not feeling guilty for every little imperfection and feeling like I have to constantly tell myself I’m a terrible sinner and purgatory or hell awaited me, especially if for some reason I didn’t make it to confession in time. I think depending on one’s upbringing and tendencies, Catholicism can be a big burden. I think it’s especially hard in a very traditional community/family(more focus on sin and punishment and legalism) and having anxious or scrupulous tendencies. Other bad experiences can contribute.

Two days ago, a prominent couple in the Catholic homeschooling community announced they had left the Church.
I saw that and yes people’s reactions have been all over the map sort if validating some of the reasons they said they left. 🙁

So you are becoming Catholic light?

I predict that you will one day become Catholic or Orthodox. Mark it on the calender!

I saw that and yes people’s reactions have been all over the map sort if validating some of the reasons they said they left. 🙁
One thing I’ve noticed when a person finally announces they are leaving faith behind is that a significant number of people that claim “ they were never TRUE Catholics/Christians”. Besides being a rather crude statement, it’s also usually not true. Many atheists I know state they absolutely we’re true believers. The reasons they leave are varied and often take a very long time to come to but they originally believed and understood their faith.

To an outsider, someone accusing them of having faked their previous belief makes the accuser sound petty or scared…if Joe and Sue can change their beliefs, could that happen to me? No one knows their future and no one knows why some have doubts and leave while for others, it makes their faith stronger…it’s personal for everyone.

So, if you’re ever tempted to say someone wasn’t a true believer…stop yourself from typing it. Anyone may lose their faith…and be very surprised when someone else accuses them the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back