K
KnitNut
Guest
You can have a simple life and make big $. This is what I mean when I suggest in your situation it’s as much (if not more) an issue of mindset as it is an issue of budget shortfall.
Thank you. It’s been tough but (believe it or not) also a blessing. I’ve gotten to spend 19 + years with the love of my life…First off jrkh I am SO sorry about your wife. It’s awful to hear what you have been going through. I’m very sorry.
Glad you are not too upset with our posts.And thanks to all of you for what you have said.
Right off the top you are overpaying for a place to live…Growing up the rule of thumb was to pay not more than 25% for housing. Later I’ve heard the number put at not more than 33% - But paying more than 50% of your monthly income in rent is shear madness. It’s plain and simple…It’s madness.Our lease is 3400 a month and 2 car payments… And you can see … That’s just making ends meet. (in this current…situation). We have racked up credit card debt from the time that my husband wasn’t working. We don’t have any extra cash to spare. Maybe 3 thousand for an emergency. We can’t use that to pay off our cars.
Yes the grass can look greener.I wish I could just “go back home” in some ways. My mom and my sis and her family’s lifestyles are so simple. They aren’t exposed to the kind of stress that I am and I just wish sometimes… That my life were different. My job will always be stressful and come with certain expectations (nice clothes etc) but sometimes the grass isn’t always greener. They have a VERY simple life. To me… It looks pretty darn good.
Who handles the money - pays the bills etc - in your house?I have considered filing for bankruptcy. But, considering the nature of my job… It may not be possible. Legally you can’t be fired for filing… But boy, they sure can find other reasons in a hot minute. I’ve seen it before.
It’s just tough because I brought up the private school issue and the writing last night. My husband said if the writing starts being “too much” to just “walk away”. I said I’d love to… But we need the money. I said quitting my side jobs would be fantastic! He didn’t have any more to say… After that. When I asked him about his work he shut me down and said “I don’t want to talk about work any more”.
**I will suggest sitting down and doing a budget with him today. But, I admit, I’m scared. This is the kind of position that really turns him into a child. **
Time to either appoint one person to handle all of this with each person receiving an allowance based on the agreed budget…OR…Separating the accounts and the bills…I pay most of them. We have a joint account though. He pays his credit cards etc and never even tells me. I always have to ask because he just thinks it will always be fine.
Did I miss something??? You said…And by my calculations our rent is 33 percent of our combined income
I’m sorry, I haven’t had a chance to read through the whole thread but I’m seeing a lot of amaxing advice here.No it’s not erotica. I changed it to romance after the wonderful advice I received here.
I **guess my question is… What choice do I have? ** If I simply stop working these side jobs… We won’t make our bills. And I have been there before and he doesn’t step up to cover for me.
I know it’s a viscous cycle… But how do I simply stop if I know it will only mean more financial turmoil? Life will only be worse…
I keep daydreaming about finding a real man who would fight for his family.
Yup…Otherwise you are the mom and you have four children…Yeah, I think your previous posts about needing an equal mature other half are right on
That is to be expected. You just have to let him have is tizzy…As to his “well when the book starts selling”…The response is:My husband is not really ready to face reality. In fact the budget suggestion has thrown him into a tizzy. Now he’s back to… “well, when your book starts selling…” etc.
Good for you. I know this took a huge amount of courage.OK-- SO I took the advice on here. I sat down and took the blinders off. We are in extreme financial trouble. I did the budget. We are barely breaking even - with OUT the private school.
I have talked to my husband. I told him that I can’t continue treading water and doing all these side projects anymore. I told him that I am about to crack/burn out.
He has lost it. He is very upset and is making threats about how he will have to “go sweep floors overnights at Walgreens and go straight to his day job” if I chose not to do the side projects anymore. He’s being very passive aggressive.
Just about what we expected right? Nothing in his behavior is a surprise here. In fact - with you being a writer - you could probably have almost “scripted” his response ahead of time…right?He’s mad, but he’s just shutting down. He doesn’t want to face the music (who does) and he is making huge threats about how he will just never see his family - working overnights…but “it’s OK - he’ll do it.”
I just don’t know what to do. I think it’s time that I seperate from him. I can’t live like this. Our poor kid – he’s going to have to move AGAIN – am I going to totally screw him up? God, I just feel like a terrible mother - I can’t afford to keep him in that house –
You are NOT a terrible mother. Keep loving your child and if you need to move out - well that is just what has to be - at least for the time being.It’s just all fallen on my shoulders and I don’t know what else to do.
At the risk of sounding horrible here - so what?He has lost it. He is very upset and is making threats about how he will have to “go sweep floors overnights at Walgreens and go straight to his day job” if I chose not to do the side projects anymore. He’s being very passive aggressive.
He’s mad, but he’s just shutting down. He doesn’t want to face the music (who does) and he is making huge threats about how he will just never see his family - working overnights…but “it’s OK - he’ll do it.”
I’m sorry, I don’t know how it works for her, where I live there are different ways of protecting yourself from your (ex) spouses financial irresponsibility. Also, the card companies would not allow you to run up that much debt, you’d be blocked and black-listed way before that could ever happen. When you’re black-listed, which happens very soon if you don’t pay everything on time, you can’t take out new credit cards, none at all, or take out more money than you have in your account. And, like I mentioned, there are ways of limiting his spending so he doesn’t even get the chance to get into that much debt.The last thing you want is to separate finances and then discover a couple years later that he’s run up five-figure credit card debt.
Just tell him that you’re not going to do it, that it’s not a big deal that the kids go to public school and to get over it. If he flips out, he flips out. Then tell him his reaction is far from manly and if he wants to act like a kid he’ll get treated like a kid and have the decisions taken away from him.Thanks for these helpful replies. I just don’t know how to live with a man like this.
He just told me that he wants to use our son’s savings to pay for the private school. There’s not even enough! He is desperate.