A
Augusta_Sans
Guest
Can you tell me a bit more about the book? I found a review, but I’m curious to know how it relates specifically to my situation.Matthew Kelly “The Seven Levels of Intimacy” - buy that one today.
Can you tell me a bit more about the book? I found a review, but I’m curious to know how it relates specifically to my situation.Matthew Kelly “The Seven Levels of Intimacy” - buy that one today.
books.google.com/books?id=11b5OnKLAYcC&printsec=frontcover&dq=seven+levels+of+intimacy&ei=RqARS__rB6WGzATbxOSFDQ#v=onepage&q=&f=falseCan you tell me a bit more about the book? I found a review, but I’m curious to know how it relates specifically to my situation.![]()
Sorry, I guess my question wasn’t very clearly worded. I know how to search the internet for book titles. I wasn’t asking for a link. I was asking you, as someone who has read the book and recommends it, to tell me how it relates to my situation specifically.
She admitted that she was not manipulated into marrying him; so that takes care of that. As for her going to a cannon lawyer that would be fine if she was seeking an annulment, which I believe is not what she wants. What I do know is that loving a person requires committment and that is what she is struggling with; the question here is not whether she can find sexual pleasure in her husband but rather if she truly loves him. Then again that is my opinion.By the way, I am NOT saying that the Sacrament did not take place. That is for those with the proper training and responsibility in the Church to determine. I am just saying it would be worth a trip for her to go see a cannon lawyer and talk about this. Is that something you oppose? Or should she just continue to “work at it” until God finally “puts in” what is not there?
Peace and blessings …
This is a book by a Catholic author, someone who is faithful to the teachings of the Church. It speaks about how one chooses to love. This book helped me to accept my husband for the person he is, and not to expect him to be something he is not.Sorry, I guess my question wasn’t very clearly worded. I know how to search the internet for book titles. I wasn’t asking for a link. I was asking you, as someone who has read the book and recommends it, to tell me how it relates to my situation specifically.
Maybe YOU didn’t, but I DID marry someone because he is a good catch. I was NOT drawn to him on every level. I’m happy for you that your marriage is so wonderful–it sounds like everything that I wished mine would become.I know one thing for sure through my years of experience is that you don’t marry someone because they are a good catch but because your whole being is drawn to that person and on every level; physical, spiritual, intellectual and emotional.
I’m sad that demands for “fireworks and butterflies every day” is all that you took away from the months worth of feelings I’ve confessed to this community. That is NOT what I pray for, and it’s distressing to me that after reading everything I’ve written, you simplify what I’m looking for into a schoolgirl fantasy. I really think there’s more to marriage than textbook compatibility (which my husband and I have), and I don’t think that “something more” is fireworks and butterflies, but a deeper connection, such as the one humble maid is blessed with and described above.I have trouble getting my mind around what you have said here. I do not believe a marriage must have fireworks and butterflies every day in order to be a good marriage. To be married to my best friend is heaven on earth for me.
How exciting for you and your soon-to-be Catholic marriage! My husband (boyfriend at the time) and I were physically intimate before we were married (we did not have sex, but we would make-out and did experience that “rapture” of being in the arms of a love–just without intercourse.) Then once we were engaged, we were chaste for nearly a year and when we came together, we just couldn’t recreate the passion we had experienced early on. I hope that after you are through your period of abstinence, you can continue the wonderful intimacy that you slipped up and shared this month. Best of luck to you and your soon-to-be!Recently … we slipped up and had sex after MONTHS of being chaste.
Perhaps I have misunderstood - what I have gathered is that you married a good, practicing Catholic, stable, loving man with whom you have great communication - the problem is that you have no desire sexually for him. That is what I mean by fireworks and butterflies - did I miss another issue?I’m sad that demands for “fireworks and butterflies every day” is all that you took away from the months worth of feelings I’ve confessed to this community. That is NOT what I pray for, and it’s distressing to me that after reading everything I’ve written, you simplify what I’m looking for into a schoolgirl fantasy. I really think there’s more to marriage than textbook compatibility (which my husband and I have), and I don’t think that “something more” is fireworks and butterflies, but a deeper connection, such as the one humble maid is blessed with and described above.
My dear sister,Maybe YOU didn’t, but I DID marry someone because he is a good catch. I was NOT drawn to him on every level. I’m happy for you that your marriage is so wonderful–it sounds like everything that I wished mine would become.I’m doubtful your perspective will be valuable to me, knowing that your marriage is blessed in the ways that mine was not.
I don’t think that “something more” is fireworks and butterflies, but a deeper connection, such as the one humble maid is blessed with and described above.
That one statement alone makes me stop and give pause. After all the things you have written about choosing to love and the many ways God has blessed you, wouldn’t you have to agree your husband was a “good” catch? I seem to be sensing a vibe here in your statement that he wasn’t a good catch. You can’t have your cake and eat it too … LOL … sorry …P.S. I thought my husband was a good catch too.
Sorry, I guess my question wasn’t very clearly worded. I know how to search the internet for book titles. I wasn’t asking for a link. I was asking you, as someone who has read the book and recommends it, to tell me how it relates to my situation specifically.
Or you could go get the CD from lighthouse Catholic Media. I relisten to this recording all the time. And pick up new ideas of how to relate to others especially my family.This is a book by a Catholic author, someone who is faithful to the teachings of the Church. It speaks about how one chooses to love. This book helped me to accept my husband for the person he is, and not to expect him to be something he is not.
My best suggestion is for you to read the preview and see if you think it is something that will help.
Your specific situation? I have trouble getting my mind around what you have said here. I do not believe a marriage must have fireworks and butterflies every day in order to be a good marriage. To be married to my best friend is heaven on earth for me.
On the contrary. I am fulfilled in the Lord and as a result it improved my marriage immensely. He has put ‘IN’ what was left ‘OUT’. I prayed daily for continual support to allow me to withstand the up’s and down’s of life generally, but overall my husband is a good catch. Of course the ego me would like to have some changes but they remain mostly superficial. So all said and done one can find happiness and forge it but only if the other is willing as well. No point in loving someone who cannot respect you or the sanctity of marriage.That one statement alone makes me stop and give pause. After all the things you have written about choosing to love and the many ways God has blessed you, wouldn’t you have to agree your husband was a “good” catch? I seem to be sensing a vibe here in your statement that he wasn’t a good catch. You can’t have your cake and eat it too … LOL … sorry …
Thank you Newbetx for sharing your story. The idea of ‘choosing’ to stay married can be best understood within this paragraph. If we are able to change within a respectable degree of compromise to unite ourselves to our spouse, then we will emerge with a different perspective; one that would probably create a more agreeable and positive environment. Thus will allow the relationship to be taken on a different level but only if the participants are willing and committed. That is my take.I think we all have some idea of characteristics of a relationship we want to have with a person and how that person will perform. This is called projection. Every now and then, we discover the projection just can not be met. We have to decide to adjust our expectations or move on. We have to decide how important these expectations are and if they are workable. With good communication, the spouse may be able to change, to accommodate the expectation, maybe not.
. I relisten to this recording all the time. And pick up new ideas of how to relate to others especially my family.Or you could go get the CD from lighthouse Catholic Media
Dear FrenchGwen,I just read this whole tread and I am soooo glad I did, because I can relate to so much in it :
…
So, as a conclusion : to my mind, you’re on the right way. Ok, you lost some time, and have got back to square one, BUT you can work on it !! and you do, which is truly wonderful.![]()
Well, I suppose that’s what this forum is about: enabling to share with ‘virtual’ others what we may not be able to share with the ones who are closest to us.FrenchGwen,
Thank you for sharing your story! I wish that I had friends more similar to myself when we were first married. It would have been nice to know we weren’t alone! I was the first of my siblings, cousins, and friends to marry.
oooooh, I fully understand that one : yeah, 10 times, just the number of time where you just think : “hey, i’m not a total beginner anymore, so by now, these problems should not be there anymore too !”Unfortunately, we did stop having sex after about 10 tries. We were both frustrated and I think we were both relieved to take that stresser off the table.