NAB no longer allowed?

• Thread starter Thread starter davemcher5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davemcher5

I recently heard that the New American Bible (English/US)translations are no longer approved for use by the Vatican. Is this true or is it just the Lectionaries? If this is so, are there certain approved versions, editions, etc. of the NAB.
Thanks, davemcher5

One of the newer revisions is not allowed. Personally, I detest the work. It’s notes and commentaries are so anti-Biblical that I term it the New Apostate Bible.

peace be with you! i hope that someday it won’t be allowed anymore. i really don’t like that translation. i know some people who call it the “cow translation” because of its translation of Psalm 23 where it says “in green pastures you let me graze”. i would really like to see them use the RSV-CE (Ignatius Bible).

in Jesus and Mary,
dominic savio

Is the Ignatius Bible a study Bible?
I have been reading the NAB study bible. But have been told to get the Ignatius Bible. I like notes and studies guides though.
I’m a geek, what can I say. 😛

I’ve heard nothing about this.

I hope they start using the RSV-CE and/or the DR. 🙂

The NAB reminds me more the 1970’s style of worship and liturgy. It is to vague and non-descriptive.

The RSV-CE is what I use and what we used at our Bible Studies.

Having just completed RCIA, our priest told us we ought to use NAB (he’s pretty orthodox as far as I’ve been able to tell from what gets discussed here and the studying I’ve done). He did indicate that they would be switching to a new translation in 2005 but that it would be a new translation of NAB. (I think. I hope I’m not mis-quoting him). I use both that and the NRSV-CE, I agree with another poster that the footnotes in the NAB are at times, well,… spurious to say the least.

As I recall it was pertaining to the Holy See approval of the new lectionaries whose text comes from the NAB. I don’t think there was a blanket condemnation of the NAB. But there were several readings that had to be changed in order to get Vatican approval for the latest Lectionaries.

Here is an article from Adoremus.org

Online Edition - Vol. IX, No. 10: February 2004

I hope this helps.

40.png
davemcher5:
I recently heard that the New American Bible (English/US)translations are no longer approved for use by the Vatican. Is this true or is it just the Lectionaries? If this is so, are there certain approved versions, editions, etc. of the NAB.
Thanks, davemcher5
I’m a Protestant, and we (most of us) believe that the NAB is a poor translation of God’s Word. I find the old DRV more accurate than the NAB (but harder to read because of the Old English), but I do own both translations. I read about fifteen or more different translations on a weekly bases, but my main three translations I use daily are the NASB, ESV and the NIV. :cool:

ridesawhitehors,

peace be with you! the Ignatius Bible is not a study Bible. it is simply the RSV-CE that is published by Ignatius Press. however, they are coming out with a study Bible which is very good. Dr. Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch do a verse by verse commentary using the Catechism and Church Fathers quite often to explain how the Church interprets a given passage. so far, they have Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts and Romans and eventually they will work their way through all the books of Scripture. hope that helps!

in Jesus and Mary,
dominic savio

40.png
jremaley:
As I recall it was pertaining to the Holy See approval of the new lectionaries whose text comes from the NAB. I don’t think there was a blanket condemnation of the NAB. But there were several readings that had to be changed in order to get Vatican approval for the latest Lectionaries.

Here is an article from Adoremus.org

Online Edition - Vol. IX, No. 10: February 2004

I hope this helps.
Hi jremaley & All,
I did get some usefull information. I may wait to see the 2005 NAB to see what that is like. But the other 1/2 of the question was missed. The issue is that I have several different “copyright” versions of the NAB. I tend to like/use the 1970 or 1979 “versions” I used in high school. Both of these quote the phrase in question in Psalm 23 as:“In verdant pastures he gives me repose;…” In the later versions, the “graze” verse seem to stress the Lord as the shepherd and us as the sheep, but I do not think “graze” is a valid substitution for “repose.”
I will not use a Protestant Bible, however valid the translation, due to the fact that they removed seven (7) books of the Bible. If that has changed, let me know. From the new information I have, the issue is with the New Testament (revised 1986) & Psalms (revised 1991). This introduces a 3rd problem this is only part of the whole NAB’s published after 1986. So, I will go with will go with the older translations for now and see if I have a copy of the NRSV around the house.
Thanks - davemcher5

The St Ignatius Study bible series by Scott Hahn, and the Navarre Bible series are both excellent. The footnotes are first rate.

I recommend them highly to anyone really interested in Bible studies.

The NAB makes a good paper weight,.

I seem to remember that the biggest problem with the revised translations of the Psalms and NT had to do with “inclusive language” that the Vatican said had to go.

40.png
AnnieM:
I love my New Jerusalem Bible! Is that one still okay?

Love,
Annie
I think that’s the official Catholic translation of the Catholic Church in England, so I would imagine it’s OK.

Catholic Cadet:
One of the newer revisions is not allowed. Personally, I detest the work. It’s notes and commentaries are so anti-Biblical that I term it the New Apostate Bible.
That’s an interesting act of conscience and freedom. I wonder why the US Bishops don’t seem to share your, um, zealous opinion about this work and are willing to provide it as the common translation.

Props to all #prosapologian and CARM lurkers …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back