NBC sitcom mocks the Eucharist

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholic29
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The NBC show was outrageous. One of the things we may want to do is ask the politicans like President Bush and the Republican National Committee that take thousands of dollars from this company to tell them that in the future they do not want campaign contributions coming from those who profit from blasphamy.

I’m sure Philip Jenkins would be interested in this story. There are countless examples of stuff just like this in the media in his book, “Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice”

does anyone have an email address for NBC so we can chastize them with our objections?

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
You should boycott Conan just because he is an untalented buffoon. His mockery of Christianity is just icing on the cake.
Conan is the most talented of the current generation, although David Letterman is a very close second. Jay Leno is the buffoon.

40.png
katherine2:
The NBC show was outrageous. One of the things we may want to do is ask the politicans like President Bush and the Republican National Committee that take thousands of dollars from this company to tell them that in the future they do not want campaign contributions coming from those who profit from blasphamy.
What about asking John Kerry and the Democratic National Committe that takes thousands of dollars from the actors, writers, producers, directors, et al. to tell them that in the future they do not want campaign contrubtions coming from those who profit from blasphemy?

40.png
EDB:
What about asking John Kerry and the Democratic National Committe that takes thousands of dollars from the actors, writers, producers, directors, et al. to tell them that in the future they do not want campaign contrubtions coming from those who profit from blasphemy?
You bet. Both sides are taking campaign money from the filth industry. Let’s get thees corporate bad boys out of politics.

40.png
katherine2:
You bet. Both sides are taking campaign money from the filth industry. Let’s get thees corporate bad boys out of politics.
I agree with you %100.

40.png
fix:
He has? Do you have a link I can read about it?
This was discussed on this board in the past. He presided at one done in his honor and seemed to have enjoyed it very much. Use the search feature to find that thread and read more about the topic.

Respectfully, katherine2, this is not a thread about politics. It is a thread about NBC and the show “Committed.” Talk about your political preferences in your own thread.

sweetchuck,

NBC can be contacted at NBC.com and then going to “Contact Us” at the bottom of the home page and then selecting “shows,” in this case “Other” because “Committed” is not listed under the NBC programs (that says a whole lot!).

I suggested to NBC that the writers, producers, and NBC itself make a public apology for what was done.

Sir Knight:
  • The Pope has approved of Polka Masses.
  • “Labrinyth in the sanctuary” – I have no clue to what this means. Sorry.
  • RE: Announcements at the end of mass that are so lengthy they almost seem to require a station break – announcements are important for parish functions. For example, if you have a penance service and nobody shows up because they didn’t know about it, it doesn’t do anybody any good. If you are going to have a fund raiser because the parish is short of funds to meet their insurance payments and you don’t tell anybody about the fund raiser and very few people show up and you don’t raise enough money to pay for insurance and something then happens to the uninsured church, that is also not very good. Etc. While one announcement might not be of interest to you, it may be of interest to the person behind you or in front of you or it may be of need that the parish has.
Many churches, including I believe Chartre have labrynths. They are an intricate curved pattern on the floor where someone walks while praying and meditating. I frankly find them boring as heck but a lot of people like them and find walking a labrynth very healing. I don’t think there would be any doctrinal problem with having a labrynth on the floor but I would be interested to know.

As to the announcements, be happy they are at the END of mass. You know a lot of people just get up and leave if they don’t want to sit through them. I think it’s a bit rude but isn’t mass over? I always stay for the announcements because often there are last minute schedule changes or events that are reported. In contrast every Protestant church I’ve attended have the announcements at the BEGINNING of the service. To me this seems to emphasize the youth group pizza party or the women’s group meeting more than the worship of God. I always hated having them FIRST because it was hard to get back in a worship frame. I LOVE having them at the end. JMO
Lisa N

NBC used to stand for National Broadcasting Company. Now I believe it stands for Nothing But Crap. Really!

40.png
sweetchuck:
I’m sure Philip Jenkins would be interested in this story. There are countless examples of stuff just like this in the media in his book, “Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice”
Has anyone read Jenkins’s book or Mark Massa’s Anti-Catholicism in America: The Last Acceptable Prejudice? Would you recommend either title?

I have the first and Andrew Greeley’s An Ugly Little Secret : Anti-Catholicism in North America requested from the library. My little library system doesn’t own the second book, however.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks! :blessyou:

Although I am just as appalled as anyone by the plot of this show, I did watch it when I found out what it was about. I did see one good thing. The character Nate, who is portrayed as a non-practicing Jew, does not eat the host, and does refer to it as the Body of Christ. Now that in no way excuses the episode which was horrid on many levels. I am comforted by the words of Jesus himself:“You will be hated by all because of my name, but not a hair on your head will be destroyed. By your perseverance you will secure your lives” Luke 21:17-19

Sir Knight:
RE: Announcements at the end of mass that are so lengthy they almost seem to require a station break – announcements are important for parish functions. For example, if you have a penance service and nobody shows up because they didn’t know about it, it doesn’t do anybody any good. If you are going to have a fund raiser because the parish is short of funds to meet their insurance payments and you don’t tell anybody about the fund raiser and very few people show up and you don’t raise enough money to pay for insurance and something then happens to the uninsured church, that is also not very good. Etc. While one announcement might not be of interest to you, it may be of interest to the person behind you or in front of you or it may be of need that the parish has.
That’s what the weekly bulletin is for, Sir.

As far as the thread topic, I watch two** very carefully selected** television shows, and I video tape them so I don’t have to watch the commercials, which can be worse than the show and an unpleasant surprise because you don’t exect them.
With a few exceptions, television in America in 2005 is unfit for human consumption.
Unfortunately our young (toddler to teenager) are watching and learning what passes for “values” from this medium.
If my children were still young, they would not watch the TV without my or my wife’s presence in the room.
None of them would have his own TV in his room and there would be only one in the house. Ditto for a computer.
I realize I can only control my own environment, but I would certainly do that.
And I would communicate, communicate, communicate. Never would they (were they) let off with a teenage shrug and, “I dunno.”

40.png
Mac6yver:
Conan is the most talented of the current generation, although David Letterman is a very close second. Jay Leno is the buffoon.
Agreed 100%

40.png
BasBleu:
Has anyone read Jenkins’s book or Mark Massa’s Anti-Catholicism in America: The Last Acceptable Prejudice? Would you recommend either title?
I’ve read Jenkins’ book, not Massa’s. Jenkins’ book is extremely thorough and well-written. I gladly give it my recommendation. 👍 Also, with Jenkins, who is not a Catholic, there is no question regarding his objectivity. It’s a good, but disturbing, read. 😦 :eek: :mad:

40.png
Binney:
What shall be do about the Catholics who make a circus out of the Mass? ,

Intinction (???)

Catholics need a healing first. Why look at the splinter in someone elses eye?..
Intinction is probably one of the most beautiful ways immaginable for one to Recieve the Blessed Sacrament under both Species. The Communicant must recieve on the tongue (not in hand).
It promotes the mystery of the Sublime Gift.

What Parish distributes by Intinction? I want to be there!!! (As long as a Priest or Deacon is administering)

40.png
Strider:

As far as the thread topic, I watch two** very carefully selected** television shows, and I video tape them so I don’t have to watch the commercials, which can be worse than the show and an unpleasant surprise because you don’t exect them.
With a few exceptions, television in America in 2005 is unfit for human consumption.
Unfortunately our young (toddler to teenager) are watching and learning what passes for “values” from this medium.
If my children were still young, they would not watch the TV without my or my wife’s presence in the room.
None of them would have his own TV in his room and there would be only one in the house. Ditto for a computer.
I realize I can only control my own environment, but I would certainly do that.
And I would communicate, communicate, communicate. Never would they (were they) let off with a teenage shrug and, “I dunno.”
I agree with you on this. We do not let our children watch any TV except for PBS Kids and Saturday morning cartoons. The cartoons probably aren’t the greatest, but at least it isn’t extreme sex and violence.

It’s very sad that we can’t sit together as a family and watch a television show today. At least it makes us play more games and read together which is a great thing!!

40.png
Strider:
Haven’t you noticed that now-a-days people have to be spoon-fed everything?

I’ve been doing the Parish website for the past 2+ years. At the very top of the bulletin right under the Parish name and address is the URL for the website. It’s been up there centered at the top in bold letters for over two years.

The other day I was casually speaking to a parish member who was the chairperson of one of the parish committes and she voiced her concerned about the lack of participation that seemed to be occurring for an upcoming parish event that her committe was organizing. I suggested that we highlight it on the parish website.

Her comment to me: “The parish has a website? Is this something new?” :eek:

My reply: “Well, it’s been around for a little over two years.”

Her answer back: “Well, this is the first that I am hearing about it.” :rolleyes: “What is the web address?”

Me: “It’s listed at the top of the church bulletin every week.”

Her: “Oh really? I haven’t noticed.” :rolleyes:

… I’m telling you, now-a-days people need to be spoon fed. Putting something in the bulletin is no assurance that people will take noticed of it – it has to be TOLD to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back