Need a priest now!

  • Thread starter Thread starter spiritualunity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spiritualunity

Guest
I have been without a priest for months now,just about since I moved into a new apt.in 2008. The priest at the parish by me tells me he will not ever come hear my confession and rarely give me the sacrement of the sick in the Hospital.
Being that I am mostly bed bound and unable to get to a church,I NEED a Priest !!!
I have written letters ,made phone calls and am at wits end.
I understand we have a shortage of priests, but we are not like some countries where they walk 100miles to church to have a priest.
I need your prayers and I ask you to tell others about my situation and ask them to pray for me as well.
God Bless you and thank you,
Spirit
 
Oh hun, I feel so bad for you and everyone who is in your situation. Certainly you are in my prayers.

Rest assured that Our Lord knows your desire for confession and loves you dearly for it, and knows that it is through no doing of your own that you cannot receive this sacrament.

Is there any way you could get someone to give you a lift to the Church from time to time? Maybe put a note in the bulletin making a request for parishioners to help you out? Or organise a taxi to take you or something?
 
I am praying for you!. This may sound strange, but, did you consider calling the Bishop of your Diocese? Is the priest being hostile? It is his duty to hear your confession, and he is also obliged to give you the Supreme Unction. By calling the Diocese, you can also ask if there areany priests nearby that you could talk to? Have I misunderstood you? Your are in my prayers. God Bless!
 
I am praying for you!. This may sound strange, but, did you consider calling the Bishop of your Diocese? Is the priest being hostile? It is his duty to hear your confession, and he is also obliged to give you the Supreme Unction. By calling the Diocese, you can also ask if there areany priests nearby that you could talk to? Have I misunderstood you? Your are in my prayers. God Bless!
I agree with this!! There is something fishy in all of this. I cannot fathom a priest refusing to ever come to hear your confession. This needs to be brought to the attention of the Diocese immediately and forcefully.

In the meantime, know that God is near, even if this priest is not. In fact, based on what you’ve said, I’d say you are nearer to God than this priest is.

Just one more thought - I assume that this is a diocisan priest who is being uncooperative. Are their any religious orders working in your area? (Fransicans or Benedictines?) Perhaps you could find a priest thorugh one of the religious orders.

Peace
James
 
I’m sorry for your circumstances. May you get some help through your Bishop’s office. May you get to meet with a holy priest really soon and get absolution from him. Amen.
 
Praying that the priest answers your plea and pays you a visit …
 
From today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Psalm 30 (31)
Trustful prayer in time of adversity

Turn your ear to me, Lord, and rescue me.
In you, Lord, I put my trust: may I never be put to shame.
In your justice, set me free,
Turn your ear to me,
make haste to rescue me.
Be my rampart, my fortification;
keep me safe.

For you are my strength and my refuge:
you will lead me out to the pastures,
for your own name’s sake.
You will lead me out of the trap that they laid for me –
for you are my strength.

Into your hands I commend my spirit:
you have redeemed me, Lord God of truth.
You hate those who run after vain nothings;
but I put my trust in the Lord.
I will rejoice and be glad in your kindness,
for you have looked on me, lowly as I am.
You saw when my soul was in need:
you did not leave me locked in the grip of the enemy,
but set my feet on free and open ground.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

Turn your ear to me, Lord, and rescue me.
 
months and months of trying to get a priest to come hear my confession and no priest will come. I have written letters,emails,phone calls. At this point I need the Pope!!
I have contacted other parishes and even after telling them the priest at my church won’t come to my home ever,they say, go to your parish. I am sure this priest has intercepted my letters to his old sick pastor.
Everything you think of, I have already tried, so it is prayers I need most of all.
Thank you and God bless you,
Spirit
 
Thank you for your prayers, they are MUCH needed and appreciated!
 
Dear Spiritualunity, I’m really sorry you’re going through this it’s a bit of a shock that a Priest would refuse to hear someone’s confession and give Holy Communion?!? :confused:

Did he explain why he won’t hear your confessions or why he won’t give you Holy Communion?

I would definitely escalate the matter to his bishop and let the bishop figure out a solution to this problem…Keep on contacting them. Perhaps, there is something bothering him and her needs help. 🤷

This reminds of what our dear St. Alphonsus said to a priest who led a worldly life.

When he was bishop, one of Alphonsus’s priests led a worldly life, and resisted all attempts to change. He was summoned to Alphonsus, and at the entrance to the bishop’s study he found a large crucifix laid on the threshold. When the priest hesitated to step in, Alphonsus quietly said, “Come along, and be sure to trample it underfoot. It would not be the first time you have placed Our Lord beneath your feet.”

saints.sqpn.com/saint-alphonsus-maria-de-liguori/

St. Alphonsus, please help and intercede for this Priest to change his mind and his heart.

St. John Marie Vianney, please intercede for this Priest. Amen.

Our Carmelite Saints, please intercede for this Priest. Amen.
 
goforgoal,
The priest said that he is too busy to come to my house. Also, he said that in this time of my life…(meaning I could die anytime with all the health conditions I have), that I need to meditate on Jesus’s mercy. and he said people want the sacrements,especially the sacrement of the sick out of fear.
So, first he says too busy .
Then he blames me of not trusting in God’s mercy because I want the Sacrements.
Thirdly, he blames people in general for having fear ,especially fear of dieing.

Then he said I do not need confession being I am sick and homebound. That all I need is to trust God is forgiving me since I can not get out to go to Church.At this stage in my life I do not need sacrements.

UNREAL!!! I think that this stage in my life I need the sacrements MORE! I am in the winter of my life and very ill. So sacrements is exactly what I need. AND I have a right as a Catholic to have the sacrements.

The other parish priest just won’t come because I am not in their district or area. That is not even a rule anymore in the church like it was years ago.

I do keep calling the Bishop and arch Bishop. They are always gone. Praying on what to do. It is very upseting to me.
Thanks for your prayers,Spirit
 
Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.
 
goforgoal,
The priest said that he is too busy to come to my house. Also, he said that in this time of my life…(meaning I could die anytime with all the health conditions I have), that I need to meditate on Jesus’s mercy. and he said people want the sacrements,especially the sacrement of the sick out of fear.
So, first he says too busy .
Then he blames me of not trusting in God’s mercy because I want the Sacrements.
Thirdly, he blames people in general for having fear ,especially fear of dieing.

Then he said I do not need confession being I am sick and homebound. That all I need is to trust God is forgiving me since I can not get out to go to Church.At this stage in my life I do not need sacrements.

UNREAL!!! I think that this stage in my life I need the sacrements MORE! I am in the winter of my life and very ill. So sacrements is exactly what I need. AND I have a right as a Catholic to have the sacrements.

The other parish priest just won’t come because I am not in their district or area. That is not even a rule anymore in the church like it was years ago.

I do keep calling the Bishop and arch Bishop. They are always gone. Praying on what to do. It is very upseting to me.
Thanks for your prayers,Spirit
I’m really not understanding this. If the priest will not come to give you communion, do you not have a friend or relative or neighbour or somebody who can go to Mass and collect a Host after Communion? So that THEY (the relative or friend, not the priest) can bring the Blessed Sacrament to you at home? There’s no earthly reason a priest would refuse a request for such an arrangement from your friend or relative.

In addition, most parishes have Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion whose job specifically is to visit the housebound of the parish and distribute Communion. If you call the parish secretary (or have your friend or relative do so), it should be easy to arrange.

The fundamental principle according to Canon Law is that:

“Can. 912 Any baptized person not prohibited by law can and must be admitted to holy communion.”

Remember that if confession is unavailable to you through no fault of your own (as it seems to be in your case), you may be able to receive communion regardless, even if under Canon Law, as long as you make a good act of contrition first.

“Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.”
 
This is absolute INSANITY!

What diocese do you belong to?

I’ll pray for you.

In the mean time, try doing what the priest is asking you and meditating on the mercy of Christ, and keep doing what you are doing and making calls.
 
Let me make it clear about communion. Even though I have not had communion for some time now, There is a lady from this parish who comes and gives me it when she is not traveling. But, I am not sure that communion has had the proper litergy of the eucharist because Mass is said by this priest.
I am alone and have no friends here. And it is difficult to make friends because 99% in bedbound. And, i am in TX,which means,sure if I was Baptist or another Protestant type, I would have all the support in the world. Catholics,as I believe we all know, do not go out of their way to know other Catholics.
I feel pretty good about being able to get someone though,for communion,because it is not the priest who will not come to see me.
My MAIN concern is confession and the sacrement of the sick.

God Bless,Spirit
 
My Diocese is, Galvaston and Houston TX
That’s a huge diocese! Is there no-one else in the (Arch)Bishop’s office who can help you if the Bishop is away? There must be someone who is there in the office and able to administer things when he is away - the running of the diocese doesn’t just stop.

Apart from which, there are almost certainly Catholic nursing homes and hospitals in your area - get in touch with THEM, they will have Catholic chaplains (not your local priest) whose job is to administer the sacraments (including confession and anointing) to people. Tell them that your priest refuses to see you and ask if their chaplains will come instead.

And still thinking outside the box - you’ll have convents and monasteries and the like in your area, that are not part of your local parish, the religious orders are independent. Look under ‘Catholic Church’ in your phone directory to locate them, and discuss your situation with them also, maybe they can help.

Another option is to get in touch with Catholic welfare organisations such as St Vincent de Paul, perhaps they can advocate on your behalf.
I am not sure that communion has had the proper litergy of the eucharist because Mass is said by this priest.
Rest assured, there is nothing in the priest’s treatment of you (horrible though it is) or his beliefs, at least judging by what you have told us, that would make his sacraments invalid or ‘improper’ in any way. Remember even priests who are great sinners can nonetheless validly confect the Eucharist.
I am alone and have no friends here. And it is difficult to make friends because 99% in bedbound.
Well, this lady brings you communion so it appears you’re not completely alone, thanks be to God. :yup: Does she know of your troubles with getting the priest to come and hear your confession? When was the last time you DID have your confession heard?
And, i am in TX,which means,sure if I was Baptist or another Protestant type, I would have all the support in the world.
To be fair, most non-Catholic ‘types’ come from much smaller congregations than your average Catholic parish is.
I feel pretty good about being able to get someone though,for communion,because it is not the priest who will not come to see me.
My MAIN concern is confession and the sacrement of the sick.
God Bless,Spirit
Understandable.
 
That’s a huge diocese! Is there no-one else in the (Arch)Bishop’s office who can help you if the Bishop is away? There must be someone who is there in the office and able to administer things when he is away - the running of the diocese doesn’t just stop.

Apart from which, there are almost certainly Catholic nursing homes and hospitals in your area - get in touch with THEM, they will have Catholic chaplains (not your local priest) whose job is to administer the sacraments (including confession and anointing) to people. Tell them that your priest refuses to see you and ask if their chaplains will come instead.

And still thinking outside the box - you’ll have convents and monasteries and the like in your area, that are not part of your local parish, the religious orders are independent. Look under ‘Catholic Church’ in your phone directory to locate them, and discuss your situation with them also, maybe they can help.

Another option is to get in touch with Catholic welfare organisations such as St Vincent de Paul, perhaps they can advocate on your behalf.

Rest assured, there is nothing in the priest’s treatment of you (horrible though it is) or his beliefs, at least judging by what you have told us, that would make his sacraments invalid or ‘improper’ in any way. Remember even priests who are great sinners can nonetheless validly confect the Eucharist.

Well, this lady brings you communion so it appears you’re not completely alone, thanks be to God. :yup: Does she know of your troubles with getting the priest to come and hear your confession? When was the last time you DID have your confession heard?

To be fair, most non-Catholic ‘types’ come from much smaller congregations than your average Catholic parish is.

Understandable.
I feel the same as LilyM, Spiritualunity, look into catholic charities, nursing homes or other means of getting someone to come hear your confession, and administer the sacraments to you. I will pray hat someone helps you.

PRAYER TO SAINT ANTHONY,
GUIDE OF PILGRIMS.
Dear St. Anthony,
we are all pilgrims.
We came from God and we are going to Him.
He who created us will welcome us at journey’s end.
The Lord Jesus is preparing a place
for all His brothers and sisters.
St. Anthony, Guide of Pilgrims,
direct my steps in the straight path.
Protect me until I am safely home in heaven.
Help me in all my needs and difficulties.

(Mention your needs and difficulties here…) for spiritualunity to obtain the sacraments of the annointing, a good confession, and the eucharist in a timely fashion from a priest who has compassion for the members of the Catholic church in his/her area.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top