Need prayer to kick a habit

  • Thread starter Thread starter ericka1701
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
also try something else - when you are breaking a habit ‘cold turkey’ - it is really hard for a few days - I found that drinking lots of water and exercising (sweating) helped alot - along with praying to the Holy Spirit - those gifts of the Spirit are not just something we memorized for Confirmation - they are actual gifts and graces if we are open to them. God bless and Mary keep you!
 
Again, thanks to everyone for their advise and prayers! I am very touched and happy, and now I have a written list of things to do (if I don’t have anything written down, when I become anxious or stressed, I will forget everything!!! Makes confession really hard at times too… :o )

I have moved my quit date to Feb 4 (a week from tomorrow). I figured that if I was ready to set a quit date, I’m ready to go ahead. Plus, I’ve been smoking more in anticipation of the quit date, and if I waited until Ash Wednesday, there is no telling how much I would have to quit from then. It’s going to be hard enough with a pack and a half… what’s bad, is 3 weeks ago when I set the quit date, I was only smoking a pack a day. 😊

I am somewhat disappointed that I’m not going to be quitting on Ash Wednesday, but I figured part of the extra money I was saving not smoking could go towards either my parish or a charity. Either way, it’s still penance.

And this talk of not smoking is raising my blood pressure a little… In the long run, this isn’t a big deal, because in previous times, I would have a huge panic attack running out of smokes knowing that all I had to do was walk a little over a block to get more. I know the amount of calm I have now is not me at all. If it were up to me, I would be freaking out right now. I can only say it is God working through your prayers and Mass intentions. Again, I want to express my deepest gratitude for everyone who is praying for me.

God Bless!
Ericka
 
Praying for you Ericka,

ps, am I the only one who saw the irony in choosing Ash Wed to quit Smoking as your original day? LOL

Good luck on your new Quit Day! Get yourself psyched and ready…
 
Praying for you Ericka,

ps, am I the only one who saw the irony in choosing Ash Wed to quit Smoking as your original day? LOL

Good luck on your new Quit Day! Get yourself psyched and ready…
Great irony isn’t it… and I didn’t catch it until last week… I was on the phone with my friend who’s been a great support with the smoking issue… I cracked up and made hyenas look like they’re merely chuckling. He thought my cheese had slid off my cracker for a moment, until I told him. Luckily it was while on the phone, so I got to miss soda spew.

Again, thanks for all of the prayers… I am really enjoying my last week as a smoker, but I know I’ll enjoy being an ex-smoker as well, because now I’ll be able to hike again without my lungs hurting… plus the other health benefits, the extra money I’ll save, not smelling like an ash tray all of the time, not feeling uncomfortable at the EF (because all of the smoke from incense makes me REALLY want a cigarette), and other positive things about not smoking… I need to write all of this down, too, to read back over after I’ve quit and I’m really wanting a smoke.

You guys are the best, and I am ever grateful for your prayers!

Ericka
 
Ericka,
Still praying for you to kick this habit once and for all! I was looking over this thread and had to laugh at Simon 's ironic finding about ash wednesday…lol…also MsHuff and the pen ,but good ideas from so many ,and especially prayers will get you through…Warmly, LynneMarie
 
Lord, may Ericka know Your creative love that fashioned her as a temple – a gift to be cared for – so that she may feel and return that love to You and those You created.
 
Ericka,
Still praying for you to kick this habit once and for all! I was looking over this thread and had to laugh at Simon 's ironic finding about ash wednesday…lol…also MsHuff and the pen ,but good ideas from so many ,and especially prayers will get you through…Warmly, LynneMarie
Yeah, I couldn’t help but laugh at myself after it happened…😃
 
Again, thanks to everyone for their advise and prayers! I am very touched and happy, and now I have a written list of things to do (if I don’t have anything written down, when I become anxious or stressed, I will forget everything!!! Makes confession really hard at times too… :o )

I have moved my quit date to Feb 4 (a week from tomorrow). I figured that if I was ready to set a quit date, I’m ready to go ahead. Plus, I’ve been smoking more in anticipation of the quit date, and if I waited until Ash Wednesday, there is no telling how much I would have to quit from then. It’s going to be hard enough with a pack and a half… what’s bad, is 3 weeks ago when I set the quit date, I was only smoking a pack a day. 😊

I am somewhat disappointed that I’m not going to be quitting on Ash Wednesday, but I figured part of the extra money I was saving not smoking could go towards either my parish or a charity. Either way, it’s still penance.

And this talk of not smoking is raising my blood pressure a little… In the long run, this isn’t a big deal, because in previous times, I would have a huge panic attack running out of smokes knowing that all I had to do was walk a little over a block to get more. I know the amount of calm I have now is not me at all. If it were up to me, I would be freaking out right now. I can only say it is God working through your prayers and Mass intentions. Again, I want to express my deepest gratitude for everyone who is praying for me.

God Bless!
Ericka
Praying for you Ericka that you can kick it. Not sure if there’s a Patron of Not Smoking or Quitting bad habits, maybe you can check this out and let us know…

Peace.
 
Praying for you Ericka that you can kick it. Not sure if there’s a Patron of Not Smoking or Quitting bad habits, maybe you can check this out and let us know…

Peace.
Well, both of the sources I checked it listed St. Maximilian Kolbe. I never thought to look that up until you mentioned it, but strangely enough, I’ve been reading up on his life as of late. I couldn’t think of anyone better to intercede for me! 👍

I have been pretty anxious most of the last week, but I’ve been getting good piano practice in! I guess I’m following Mr. Rogers’s advise about finding constructive ways of working out any unpleasant emotions.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers, and I beseech them especially the next 3 days. Thank everyone of you, and may God bless and keep you!

Ericka
 
Well, both of the sources I checked it listed St. Maximilian Kolbe. I never thought to look that up until you mentioned it, but strangely enough, I’ve been reading up on his life as of late. I couldn’t think of anyone better to intercede for me! 👍

I have been pretty anxious most of the last week, but I’ve been getting good piano practice in! I guess I’m following Mr. Rogers’s advise about finding constructive ways of working out any unpleasant emotions.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers, and I beseech them especially the next 3 days. Thank everyone of you, and may God bless and keep you!

Ericka
St Maximilian Kolbe please pray with us that Ericka can put this habit away and find constructive ways in times of stress and anxiety.

ps…love this Saint and what a magnificent story of his life.
 
St Maximilian Kolbe please pray with us that Ericka can put this habit away and find constructive ways in times of stress and anxiety.

ps…love this Saint and what a magnificent story of his life.
I love his life story, as well… when I was 9, my mom took me to the Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC, and ever since then, I have wanted to learn more of the stories of “small sacrifices” and “everyday heroism” that has come out of it. I only put those phrases in quotes because they only seem small and everyday, but the small and everyday was made extraordinary.

I’m almost at 12 hours of no smoking… my cigarette count and body count is the same ;)… both Zero. The next 60 hours are going to be hell (my friend quit smoking cold turkey a little more than a year ago, so he’s already let me know what to expect, thank God), but I’ll take it one hour at a time. I will hopefully be either at Mass tomorrow or at the very least Vespers.

I want to again thank everyone for their prayers!
Ericka
 
I love his life story, as well… when I was 9, my mom took me to the Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC, and ever since then, I have wanted to learn more of the stories of “small sacrifices” and “everyday heroism” that has come out of it. I only put those phrases in quotes because they only seem small and everyday, but the small and everyday was made extraordinary.

I’m almost at 12 hours of no smoking… my cigarette count and body count is the same ;)… both Zero. The next 60 hours are going to be hell (my friend quit smoking cold turkey a little more than a year ago, so he’s already let me know what to expect, thank God), but I’ll take it one hour at a time. I will hopefully be either at Mass tomorrow or at the very least Vespers.

I want to again thank everyone for their prayers!
Ericka
Congrats thus far!!
Yes, it’s good to know what you’re in store for…gives you a chance to figure out how to handle it.
I, for one, wasn’t ready on how I handled it. I was very emotional…the slightest thing pushed me over the edge and the tears started flowing and I couldn’t stop one day. I now know that it was because I no longer had that “stress reliever” and had to figure out a way to relieve my stress and frustration another way.
 
Congrats thus far!!
Yes, it’s good to know what you’re in store for…gives you a chance to figure out how to handle it.
I, for one, wasn’t ready on how I handled it. I was very emotional…the slightest thing pushed me over the edge and the tears started flowing and I couldn’t stop one day. I now know that it was because I no longer had that “stress reliever” and had to figure out a way to relieve my stress and frustration another way.
Actually have been handling it pretty well… It’s been 24 hours with no ciggys, and more importantly, no bodies… 😃 😉 Actually I’ve not been too bad, surprisingly, but I think that’s because I’ve had the nicotene inhaler attached to my mouth pretty much the whole day… and still managed to use only 5 of the recommended 6-16 cartridges per day. 🤷 God is definately with me, through all of your prayers.

I am sorry you didn’t know what was in store for you with the quit. But it sounds like you didn’t let that stop you from quitting, so CONGRATS to you, too. A few of my practice runs (previous failed attempts) I didn’t really understand what was happening to me, and I thought that the emotional side-effects of withdrawals were me actually having a nervious breakdown. I was so convinced of that, I guess that’s why it took me another year to even try again.
Praying for you…Good luck on Day 1…
Thanks so much for your prayers and encouragment, Simon! I really like seeing you here on the forums, and I really, really appreciate your prayers!
 
Praying for you. I quit 25 years ago. It was hard to do. I tried cutting back but that did not work. Back then they did not have the patches or gum. I stopped cold turkey but everytime I felt like smoking I would say the Lord’s Prayer. My best friend’'s Mom told me to do this. It worked. I still want them when I become overally stressed but again I say the Lord’s Prayer and it helps me.
Lord Jesus,You said,
“I have come to set the captives free.”
We are captive and need Your healing touch.
Free Ericka, Lord, from her addiction, smoking,
so that she will be:
…free from the cares and worries that stifle her happiness;
…free from sins that cling to her, and to which she clings;
…free from all compulsive behavior
that prevents her from becoming what You, Lord,
have planned for her.
Bring her, loving Savior,
to the experience of abundantlife
which You promised.

Amen
 
I am sorry you didn’t know what was in store for you with the quit. But it sounds like you didn’t let that stop you from quitting, so CONGRATS to you, too. A few of my practice runs (previous failed attempts) I didn’t really understand what was happening to me, and I thought that the emotional side-effects of withdrawals were me actually having a nervious breakdown. I was so convinced of that, I guess that’s why it took me another year to even try again.
Yeah, I had talked about quitting but loved cigarrettes too much to want to quit. Then one day (July 7th, 2005 to be exact 😃 ) I looked at my pack of cigarrettes and had only one left.
Enter my laziness…
My first thought was - “don’t feel like going to the store.”
So since I was too lazy to go get a pack of cigarrettes, I just quit cold turkey…
👍

But enough about me…don’t want to hijack your thread.

I am glad to hear that you’re doing good! You’re still in my prayers for your success 🙂
 
You can do it!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen
 
Praying for you. I quit 25 years ago. It was hard to do. I tried cutting back but that did not work. Back then they did not have the patches or gum. I stopped cold turkey but everytime I felt like smoking I would say the Lord’s Prayer. My best friend’'s Mom told me to do this. It worked. I still want them when I become overally stressed but again I say the Lord’s Prayer and it helps me.
Lord Jesus,You said,
“I have come to set the captives free.”
We are captive and need Your healing touch.
Free Ericka, Lord, from her addiction, smoking,
so that she will be:
…free from the cares and worries that stifle her happiness;
…free from sins that cling to her, and to which she clings;
…free from all compulsive behavior
that prevents her from becoming what You, Lord,
have planned for her.
Bring her, loving Savior,
to the experience of abundantlife
which You promised.

Amen
Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve actually been praying the Hail Mary everytime a craving hits. sometimes I have to pray it quite a few times before the craving lets up, so I think I’ll try Our Father for the next one. Also, thank you for your beautiful prayer. I hope you don’t mind me writing it down in my prayer journal to read the next time a big craving hits.
Yeah, I had talked about quitting but loved cigarrettes too much to want to quit. Then one day (July 7th, 2005 to be exact 😃 ) I looked at my pack of cigarrettes and had only one left.
Enter my laziness…
My first thought was - “don’t feel like going to the store.”
So since I was too lazy to go get a pack of cigarrettes, I just quit cold turkey…
👍

But enough about me…don’t want to hijack your thread.

I am glad to hear that you’re doing good! You’re still in my prayers for your success 🙂
I was doing good, but yesterday, it was really bad… up until then, the cravings were like a tap on the shoulder, but then it started like a monkey jumping up and down on my back… but still, no cigs and no bodies… 👍 I prayed Vespers at the parish 35 miles away last night, and oddly enough… 😃 that was the only time yesterday I had no cravings… and after they came back, it wasn’t as bad. I was raise Presbyterian, so I have a hard time believing in coincidences, and I think that yesterday was no exception.
You can do it!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen
Thanks for your prayers, and for everyone else for their prayers! May God bless you all!

Ericka
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top