New prayer for conversion of the Jews in the Extraordinary Form

• Thread starter Thread starter japhy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Jews pray for others to convert to Judaism?
I guess they don’t. What is the attitude of Jews towards other religions? Are they “true” (true enough to secure salvation)? What is the orthodox Jewish eschatalogical belief? What happens when we die? Etc.

As usual, Valke plays the “Jewish victim” card, implying that, due to past persecutions, Jews somehow deserve special priviliges.

Dauphin, could you provide a link from the Catechism or Church document which supports that claim?

Section 847 of the Catechism suggests otherwise. While discussing the doctrine of “Outside the Church there is no salavation” it notes

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P29.HTM
That teaching is entirely unrelated. By “Jew”, I mean someone who explicitly rejects the teaching of the Church and adheres to the Jewish religion, not someone who is unaware of Christ and His Church and strives to follow God’s will. Here is the definition you wanted:

*“The most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics, can have a share in life eternal; but that they will go into the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels” (*Pope Eugene IV, the Bull Cantate Domino, 1441.)

I guess that would depend what they saw their mission to be. I would expect them to pray for my conversion if they thought not of themselves as an exclusive ‘club’ comprising only of those of the physical seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. If they understood their mission to be a light to the nations to show us Gentiles who the one true God was, then I would be insulted if they didn’t pray for me.

Now as Christians, we believe that we are the spiritual seed of Abraham, the wild olive shoot grafted onto the root of the natural olive tree, the fulfillment and transformation of the Abrahamic covenant; then of course, we have to pray for the natural branches that have been cut off through unbelief, so that they not remain in their unbelief and are grafted in again.
THen you should be insulted. We don’t pray for the conversions of Gentiles. That is not how we view being a light unto all nations. Among other reasons, we believe it is easier for a gentile to be righteous than it is for a jew, as a Jew must follow more commandments.

I guess they don’t. What is the attitude of Jews towards other religions? Are they “true” (true enough to secure salvation)? What is the orthodox Jewish eschatalogical belief? What happens when we die? Etc.
any religion is “true enough” to secure a share in the world to come, according to Judaism, on condition that those following it obey what has become to be known as the Noahide laws, which essentially embrace the ethical requirements of the Torah, and require the establishment of a just legal system.

That teaching is entirely unrelated. By “Jew”, I mean someone who explicitly rejects the teaching of the Church and adheres to the Jewish religion, not someone who is unaware of Christ and His Church and strives to follow God’s will. Here is the definition you wanted
Dauphin, it is good to study the history of the Church and in doing so we see the roots, trunk and older growth of the branches of what we believe. But a medieval bull may no longer be a good formulation of that belief.

Faith is gift from God. Perhaps you grew up with your faith and never noticed its lack, but I grew up without faith and only came to Christianity as an adult. I could reason myself into the Church - it is a very rational religion. But I couldn’t reason myself into faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, the second Person of the Trinity. I could affirm the belief as an act of will, but I could not believe it in my heart without willing that belief. My faith in Christ was a grace bestowed by God, just as my belief in God the Father was also a gift which I could never achieve on my own. I could be only open to the possibility and allow God to take things from there.

Just because Jews (and Muslims, and members of any other religion) have heard of Christ doesn’t mean they have been given faith in Christ and his Church. Superficial knowledge and actual faith are very different things.

Don’t try to gloss it over. We pray for the Jews because they’re going to hell.

If you don’t like that, you don’t like the dogma of the Church.
It is not that we Jews do not understand the difficulty for many gentiles to grasp the oneness of God and to imagine God divorced of human form. This is a gradual intellectual process that will come in time. It is not that we are worried that we are going to Hell especially since the Christian concept of Hell does not exist. It is not that we feel any need or want to tell the gentile what to pray or what to believe. In Judaism it is easier for the gentile than for the Jew to get to the world to come as the gentile has only to follow the seven Noahide commandments ( a somewhat more charitable attitude than the one you espoused towards Jews in the name of Catholicism). Rather our objections deal only with the **disdain **such prayers can and do engender towards Jews and Judaism. This is our business as our history has only so well taught us.

Dauphin, it is good to study the history of the Church and in doing so we see the roots, trunk and older growth of the branches of what we believe. But a medieval bull may no longer be a good formulation of that belief.

Faith is gift from God. Perhaps you grew up with your faith and never noticed its lack, but I grew up without faith and only came to Christianity as an adult. I could reason myself into the Church - it is a very rational religion. But I couldn’t reason myself into faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, the second Person of the Trinity. I could affirm the belief as an act of will, but I could not believe it in my heart without willing that belief. My faith in Christ was a grace bestowed by God, just as my belief in God the Father was also a gift which I could never achieve on my own. I could be only open to the possibility and allow God to take things from there.

Just because Jews (and Muslims, and members of any other religion) have heard of Christ doesn’t mean they have been given faith in Christ and his Church. Superficial knowledge and actual faith are very different things.
That’s all well and good, but there’s still no salvation outside the Church. Invincible ignorance is the only condition that the Church has offered which eliminates culpability for not entering Christ’s church. I’ll stick with what the Church has revealed.

apples and oranges… I would not expect you to pray for me to convert to a religion of which is not worthy of your own belief. Let’s be consistent in our arguments, shall we?
Yes but I don’t want you to convert to Judaism - no point and Buddhism seems pretty harmless.

"Dauphin:
Invincible ignorance is the only condition that the Church has offered which eliminates culpability for not entering Christ’s church.
And you think contentedly belonging to a different religion doesn’t constitute invincible ignorance?
I’ll stick with what the Church has revealed.
Great, me too! At least we can agree on this. 🙂

From the New Jersey Jewish News; (emphasis mine)

‘Prayer for Conversion’ reinstated by Pope
Jewish leaders fear a step backward in interfaith relations
by Robert Wiener
NJJN Staff Writer
February 21, 2008

Leaders of interfaith dialogue are expressing concern that a Good Friday prayer newly revised by Pope Benedict XVI could set back cordial relations between Catholics and Jews. The Latin-language “Prayer for Conversion of the Jews” urges Catholics to “pray for the Jews. May the Lord our God illuminate their hearts so that they may recognize Jesus Christ as savior of all men.” It also asks God to “kindly allow that, as all peoples enter into your Church, all of Israel may be saved.”

To Allyson Gall, executive director of the American Jewish Committee’s Metro New Jersey Area, the prayer is “**a step backward. **This is something that was written in the pope’s own hand. It was not written by an aide. He made a conscious decision he wants the wording this way. That is regrettable.”

This is not what we had hoped for,” said Father Lawrence Frizzell, director of the Institute of Judaeo-Christian Studies at Seton Hall University in South Orange. “There has been considerable discussion among those of us involved in Jewish-Christian relations,” said Frizzell, who has worked with Gall on interfaith projects. “I don’t know how to interpret this in terms of the larger picture. I would say in terms of people involved in Jewish-Christian relations, this is a disappointment. But I don’t want to say this is a harbinger of things to come.”

I am not sure why people are so disturbed that the Pope would pray that people would turn to Christ and be Saved. Isn’t that the goal of Christianity (Roman Catholic and Non-RC): to bring people to a Saving faith in Christ?

It seems this article is indicative of a problem occurring throughout Christendom (and I admit parts of the Anglican Communion and the Episcopal Church, where I shall soon swim the Thames, are at the forefornt of this problem) where Christians are forgetting that the goal of so-called interfaith dialogue should be to better expose people to Christ and dispel any incorrect views held by non-Christians.

Although I may disagree with the Pope’s idea of what it means to become Christian (I am sure His Holiness means he wants people to become Roman Catholic), I certainly applaud the spirit of his words and prayer. What greater love can we as Christians (regardless of our denomination) have than to hope and pray that others would turn to Christ and be Saved by God’s mercy?

Although I may disagree with the Pope’s idea of what it means to become Christian (I am sure His Holiness means he wants people to become Roman Catholic), I certainly applaud the spirit of his words and prayer. What greater love can we as Christians (regardless of our denomination) have than to hope and pray that others would turn to Christ and be Saved by God’s mercy?
Well, His Holiness prays for the unity of all Christians under the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. But that doesn’t mean “Roman Catholic”, since the Roman Rite is only one of many. There are plenty of other Western rites (such as the Ambrosian Catholics), and plenty of Eastern rites (such as the Byzantine Catholics). There is even an “Anglican use” of the Roman Rite, which is the liturgical rite used by many Anglicans who have converted to the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church; and the Traditional Anglican Communion is looking to restore itself and its members to full communion with Rome, and thus becoming Catholic.

It is not that we Jews do not understand the difficulty for many gentiles to grasp the oneness of God and to imagine God divorced of human form. This is a gradual intellectual process that will come in time. It is not that we are worried that we are going to Hell especially since the Christian concept of Hell does not exist. It is not that we feel any need or want to tell the gentile what to pray or what to believe. In Judaism it is easier for the gentile than for the Jew to get to the world to come as the gentile has only to follow the seven Noahide commandments ( a somewhat more charitable attitude than the one you espoused towards Jews in the name of Catholicism). Rather our objections deal only with the **disdain **such prayers can and do engender towards Jews and Judaism. This is our business as our history has only so well taught us.
**Hi, Chosen. You say, “…This is our business as our history has only so well taught us.”

That begs the question: Is praying for Jews in an uplifting beeseching to God a THREAT? It almost sounds like you see this as some sort of anti-Jewish undercurrent. If that is even slightly so…it is way off the mark.

In so far as it is the business of Jews does this imply that we do not have a nexus (Christian/Jew)? It is obvious that we do…Jesus was a Jew; He came to redeem the world STARTING with the Jews. It is from the Jews that we gentiles are also freed from death.

Jesus, as a man, allows for mankind to approach God more intimately and to know Him and experience His goodness. Jesus allows us to draw close to God…a kind of “transformer” so to speak.

This reply is done in charity and hopefully, you will detect it as such.**

And you think contentedly belonging to a different religion doesn’t constitute invincible ignorance?
No it doesn’t. Invinsible ignorance has nothing to do with whether you are content where you are. That contentness with a false religion could be your fault. But some of them might be invincibly ignorant.

If Jews feel threatened that we actually believe they need to convert then that is their problem. We are not going to treat our faith as if it is one of many different options. If Christianity is true then Judaism as it is is false and so is Islam. It is simple logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back