No birth control is really hard if you're poor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brogan2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never know a Diocese that does not have information about local NFP training in various methods. I’ve never been in a parish that did not offer training and information about various methods.

Each year there is an annual “NFP Awarenss Week” in every US Parish. If your parish is not participating, talk to them as it is coming up! http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-act...ural-family-planning/awareness-week/index.cfm

NFP training is required in order to get married in our Diocese and has been for years.

I
 
It’s well known that many Catholic couples use birth control. Perhaps “98%” was hyperbole.
 
NFP training is required in order to get married in our Diocese and has been for years.
I live in Canada. While there is a NFP Association it is not strong. When I was RC one of my primary laments was the absence of any strong NFP network. My wife and I were devoted to Billings. Our RC friends all said we were playing Catholic Roulette.
 
Since you are Anglican and no longer Catholic it would probably be better in this type of thread to refrain from giving advice since your personal opinions obviously are NOT Catholic teaching or at the least stating that you are not Catholic up front would be helpful.

Also the percentage of regular church attendees in the US believing or not believing that birth control is unacceptable is irrelevant to this topic. We are talking about ONE couple and their concerns. That others choose NOT to follow church teaching is on them.
 
Last edited:
In what way is a condom bad?

I ask as if the 2 dont meet then no ‘life’ is created.

This is the same with nfp surely?
 
We’ve used a casual form of NFP for almost 20 years with success, because I was always pretty regular, so it was easy. But as I got older, some months, things weren’t so predictable. So I bought a box of ovulation strips as a backup for my own observations, just in case.

I probably haven’t used them in a year or two, because of course, after I bought them, things went back to normal. But they’re still there for the next time my cycle goes wonky. 🙂
 
In what way is a condom bad?

I ask as if the 2 dont meet then no ‘life’ is created.

This is the same with nfp surely?
Sex in which no life is created is not sinful. Timing sex so that life is highly unlikely is not sinful. Modifying the sex act through the use of a condom or modifying the body through the use of medications to prevent life is a different matter, because it fundamentally alters the nature of the act.
 
The difference is that condoms put up a physical barrier between male and female. The marital act must always be open to fertilization. Condoms make that impossible. Hence they are not allowed.
 
Last edited:
Because the Church tells us that each marital act must be “ordered toward procreation”. A condom prevents that.
 
Also the percentage of regular church attendees in the US believing or not believing that birth control is unacceptable is irrelevant to this topic.
I think it’s quite relevant that 87% of regular attendees do not believe that a teaching is grave matter. Obviously the message isn’t getting through.
 
I suspect it’s getting through but many think it’s one of the teachings that they can ignore rather than follow.

However, the statistic you mentioned is still irrelevant to this discussion about a couple trying to follow church teaching. Again what other people are doing or believing is totally irrelevant to the church teaching.
 
Last edited:
40.png
Kaliaa:
Also the percentage of regular church attendees in the US believing or not believing that birth control is unacceptable is irrelevant to this topic.
I think it’s quite relevant that 87% of regular attendees do not believe that a teaching is grave matter. Obviously the message isn’t getting through.
At what point is the onus on the individual, not the Church? The Church’s stance on contraception is not new by any stretch of the imagination. The Pope could go and personally tell every single Catholic in the world that contraception is sinful and plenty would still disagree and plenty would still use it. It’s a difficult teaching that goes against the culture.
 
In 1968 the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) issued a response to Humanae Vitea called The Winnipeg Statement.


In this document, the authors conclude:

It recognized that “a certain number of Catholics”, in spite of being bound by the encyclical, find it “either extremely difficult or even impossible to make their own all elements of this doctrine”. These
should not be considered, or consider themselves, shut off from the body of the faithful. But they should remember that their good faith will be dependent on a sincere self-examination to determine the true motives and grounds for such suspension of assent and on continued effort to understand and deepen their knowledge of the teaching of the Church.[3]

In accord with the accepted principles of moral theology, if these persons have tried sincerely but without success to pursue a line of conduct in keeping with the given directives, they may be safely assured that, whoever honestly chooses that course which seems right to him does so in good conscience [emphasis added].[5]

The document received a host of criticism, but has never been repudiated by the CCCB.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top