No Chicago Olympics!

  • Thread starter Thread starter dixieagle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. But wouldn’t it have been good for IL and surrounding states as well? Don’t federal funds go to any big project like this, stadiums, etc? Aren’t the Chargers in San D going to get some emergency finds for a new stadium? Doesn’t that cost all Americans? I’m truly asking, because I don’t get why this ‘was’ such a big deal…maybe I’m missing something:shrug:
federal funds? have you looked at the national debt lately? were you thinking we could add it to the stimulus bill?
 
I am so happy. Barack + Michelle + Oprah = a Big Fat Zero 👍 🙂 😛
Aye. No reward for bad behavior … FOR A CHANGE. The price for backing abortion, wealth redistibution, socialism, destroying the USA etc. So to all the athiests out there:

See there IS a God! 😉 :D:thumbsup:

– Cadian :knight1:
 
I wasn’t thinking any such thing where do you get that idea?

I’m just surprised at how invested people are in not wanting the Olympics in Chicago…would you have objected to another US city hosting it?

Yes, ‘federal funds’ however you want to calculate that are going to San D for an ‘emergency’ new stadium for the Chargers. What is your opinion of that? I wonder?
 
Rio Got it!!

Don’t understand why Chicago even wanted it. All the cities I’ve heard about are in the red after it is over by billions.

Yes, I’m glad also that Obama’s visit didn’t work.

He did take the time to talk to his general who was in London. At least he accomplished something.
 
Rio Got it!!

Don’t understand why Chicago even wanted it. All the cities I’ve heard about are in the red after it is over by billions.

Yes, I’m glad also that Obama’s visit didn’t work.

He did take the time to talk to his general who was in London. At least he accomplished something.
I didn’t realize cities were in the red after hosting the Olympics, interesting. I can certainly see why IL resident didn’t want it, I’m perplexed by the rest.
 
I wasn’t thinking any such thing where do you get that idea?

I’m just surprised at how invested people are in not wanting the Olympics in Chicago…would you have objected to another US city hosting it?

Yes, ‘federal funds’ however you want to calculate that are going to San D for an ‘emergency’ new stadium for the Chargers. What is your opinion of that? I wonder?
to be honest, i think way too much time, money and importance go to professional sports in our country. i don’t follow any of them. as a kid, i loved to watch the Olympics, but as i have grown older, they aren’t as important. it’s all about money and there is always so much controversy associated with them anymore.

what is so great about chicago anyway? i can think of several other cities that would be nicer than Chicago.
 
Aye. No reward for bad behavior … FOR A CHANGE. The price for backing abortion, wealth redistibution, socialism, destroying the USA etc. So to all the athiests out there:

See there IS a God! 😉 :D:thumbsup:

– Cadian :knight1:
good post! 👍
 
to be honest, i think way too much time, money and importance go to professional sports in our country. i don’t follow any of them. as a kid, i loved to watch the Olympics, but as i have grown older, they aren’t as important. it’s all about money and there is always so much controversy associated with them anymore.

what is so great about chicago anyway? i can think of several other cities that would be nicer than Chicago.
Well I agree with you on the sports thing…

Have you been to Chicago? It’s beautiful city, a beautiful lake and a great community of people. There are many nice cities in the US, sure, there are many that would make a nice Olympic host. The Olympics were in Atlanta, and let me tell you, Atlanta is not half as nice as Chicago and has a far worse crime rate. Chicago is often cited as one of the top 5 beautiful cities. I can see why it wasn’t picked, it’s no skin off my nose:p but really it’s a great city.
 
I wasn’t thinking any such thing where do you get that idea?

I’m just surprised at how invested people are in not wanting the Olympics in Chicago…would you have objected to another US city hosting it?

Yes, ‘federal funds’ however you want to calculate that are going to San D for an ‘emergency’ new stadium for the Chargers. What is your opinion of that? I wonder?
Federal funds going to a stadium is ridculous.

However… Chicago is so corrupt…I am so glad they arent getting it. If another American city… one that is NOT corrupt was in line to get it… not sure how I would have felt. After all the corruption in Salt Lake City when they hosted the Olympics… I am not sure.

Obama’s friends stood to make millions and millions off of this nonsense at taxpayers expense. We are BROKE… our dollar is losing credibility… it is scary what these crooks are doing to our country. ALL OF THEM.
When 50 billion can be in the ‘stimulous bill’ for the National Endowment for the Arts… and then turns out the payback is a bunch of propaganda art for Obama…

Can you imagine what would be done with billions going to Chicago for the Olympics?

I feel bad for the good people in Chicago. Last 2 Governors… CROOKS. Both campaigned for no corruption and that was a joke. Democrats and Republicans.

This decision just saved the good people of Chicago more stories of corruption in thier city.
 
Well I agree with you on the sports thing…

Have you been to Chicago? It’s beautiful city, a beautiful lake and a great community of people. There are many nice cities in the US, sure, there are many that would make a nice Olympic host. The Olympics were in Atlanta, and let me tell you, Atlanta is not half as nice as Chicago and has a far worse crime rate. Chicago is often cited as one of the top 5 beautiful cities. I can see why it wasn’t picked, it’s no skin off my nose:p but really it’s a great city.
i had a chance to attend a symposium a couple of years ago in Chicago, but it took place right around the election and i didn’t really have the money to travel. i would like to have made the trip because i have never been to the city before. i have heard both good and bad about Chicago. my irish catholic grandmother was born there in the late 1800’s.
 
Well I agree with you on the sports thing…

Have you been to Chicago? It’s beautiful city, a beautiful lake and a great community of people. There are many nice cities in the US, sure, there are many that would make a nice Olympic host. The Olympics were in Atlanta, and let me tell you, Atlanta is not half as nice as Chicago and has a far worse crime rate. Chicago is often cited as one of the top 5 beautiful cities. I can see why it wasn’t picked, it’s no skin off my nose:p but really it’s a great city.
I live in Indy. I have been to Chicago alot.
 
7 sorrows there are indeed good and bad things about Chicago, the city, as all cities I’m sure. Politically I can’t and wouldn’t stand up for Chicago, ever. I love the city, the people, the culture, the vibe, but not the politicians. But I grew up there! so I have to defend it :went to college there, had children there, worked there…it’s a great community, really it is. I hope it stays that way. I know the people of Chicago would have been great and gracious hosts, had the Olympics been there.

stjude I agree it’s better the money not get spent at all, in the US right now. We don’t have the money. I hadn’t heard about the NEA thing? Wow, I’ll have to look that one up. I’m so news weary after this election, I just don’t bother much anymore.
 
IMO we, the people of the US, could not have afforded it. Period. We’re broke.

All I read about is spending and more spending. And again, having the Olympics puts cities in the red after the books are checked and everyone has gone home.

I don’t trust Chicago politicians. I don’t trust Obama and his czars. I think they are going to leave us with a big bill.
 
May I ask a dumb question…why is this a good thing? In your opinions? I guess I don’t get it:confused: I mean if you’re an Illinois taxpayer (which I used to be) I can see the objection but, if you’re not I don’t quite understand why would this have been a bad thing:shrug:
When I first heard about Obama making the address, my first thought was ‘why??’
We have too much going on already. We have an economy that is a train wreck that has not stopped yet, we have a health care bill causing civil unrest throughout, we have several terrorist supporting countries rattling their sabers, we have a president that continues to apologize for the country…

Yet the president has found time to go off and campaign for something that is completely unnecessary, and will cost us all money.

It seems fitting that someone has finally turned to Obama and very publicly said NO.
 
When I first heard about Obama making the address, my first thought was ‘why??’
We have too much going on already. We have an economy that is a train wreck that has not stopped yet, we have a health care bill causing civil unrest throughout, we have several terrorist supporting countries rattling their sabers, we have a president that continues to apologize for the country…

Yet the president has found time to go off and campaign for something that is completely unnecessary, and will cost us all money.

It seems fitting that someone has finally turned to Obama and very publicly said NO.
👍 exactly!
 
7 sorrows there are indeed good and bad things about Chicago, the city, as all cities I’m sure. Politically I can’t and wouldn’t stand up for Chicago, ever. I love the city, the people, the culture, the vibe, but not the politicians. But I grew up there! so I have to defend it :went to college there, had children there, worked there…it’s a great community, really it is. I hope it stays that way. I know the people of Chicago would have been great and gracious hosts, had the Olympics been there.

stjude I agree it’s better the money not get spent at all, in the US right now. We don’t have the money. I hadn’t heard about the NEA thing? Wow, I’ll have to look that one up. I’m so news weary after this election, I just don’t bother much anymore.
Oops… sorry… its a mere 80 MILLION going to the NEA.

joshuapundit.blogspot.com/2009/09/obama-and-nea-corruption-as-art.html
 
Wouldn’t having the Olympics in Chicago bring a lot of revenue and job opportunity to the US?

That might have been a good thing for the US.

Too bad it didn’t work out.
It would have not to mention the honor and prestige that go with them. Plus all the cash coming in from the construction work getting geared up (not circus tents after all) and the tax money.

If you don’t believe me what till we get a chance to have them under a Republucan president and see how people on hear will change there tune.
 
It would have not to mention the honor and prestige that go with them. Plus all the cash coming in from the construction work getting geared up (not circus tents after all) and the tax money.

If you don’t believe me what till we get a chance to have them under a Republucan president and see how people on hear will change there tune.
nytimes.com/1999/01/22/sports/olympics-corruption-is-extensive-ioc-official-finds.html

Remember all the corruption for Salt Lake City when they hosted?

I dont remember Clinton going to make a personal plea so he could pay back the crooks he owed.
 
It would have not to mention the honor and prestige that go with them. Plus all the cash coming in from the construction work getting geared up (not circus tents after all) and the tax money.

If you don’t believe me what till we get a chance to have them under a Republucan president and see how people on hear will change there tune.
Number 1 no president should be stumping for the Olympics period especially in hard times. I would criticize a Rep. president as much as I did Obama and been just as glad we didn’t get it. Don’t you realize how broke we are and how close to economic collapse we are. If Israel attacks Iran we will have a major depression in my opinion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top