No such thing as a Prolife Democrat (Illinois)

• Thread starter Thread starter Fitz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Fitz:
Ok, so I will grant you that indeed he is against abortion, however his parish has about 40 outreach ministries and I don’t find a prolife one. He is including any failure to reach one’s potential as abortion. It could be that it is handled under another name.
Undoubtedly, if he is lacking a pro-life ministry, that is a real want. That said, my experience with parish pro-life ministries suggests taht they are often largely worthless organizations which only involve a very few dedicated people, anyway.
This is a very strange Catholic church. They call everything a service- never a mass! They are very agressive with politics and they invite others to talk at mass. It is quite a hopping place, but definitely they didn’t even mention the Holy Father this past weekend. It was their neighborhood ecumenical weekend where they shared services. Yeah, I think he does wonders for his parish, but certainly does not do anything in a traditional sense.
Well, I would never say that he’s a “traditional” Catholic. lol Arguing such is not my intent here. Admitedly, he has some very real problems.

Realize that Fr. Pfleger has worked his entire ministerial life (since seminary) in the black community. He’s basically developed kind of a cult around himself based more upon being this dynamic white guy in black culture. He’s tried to adapt a lot of things to a more protestant style form of worship and outreach which he thinks better connects with the people.

40.png
Lucania:
Any others because he is the ONLY one I’ve ever heard of. :hmmm:
The late Gov. Casey gets a lot of attention, perhaps more because it gives Republicans a chance to knock Democrats for not having allowed him to speak at their convention. However, there are quite a good number of pro-life Democrats elected at the local level. In the House of Representatives, for instance, were it not for pro-life Democrats little positive pro-life legislation could be passed (the Republicans don’t typically have enough pro-life votes to do it themselves.) In state legislatures and local levels of government there are also often pro-life Dems to be found. Similarly, they often provide important and signifigant representation.

The problem lies in that it costs too much to run for higher office. So when a candidate considers running for Senate or Governor in a state, he needs money… a LOT of money. At this point, the people who are willing to help him out usually let the candidate know that they will only give financial support if s/he turns pro-abort. So, for expediency of getting elected, they usually do.

I heard Casey’s son may be running for senate in 06 - if I lived in PA I think I would probably vote for him.

I am a registered Democrat, pro-life, and I would love to have a candidate to vote for. I keep praying for a change of hearts in the party.

Honestly though, would the republicans allow a democrat to espouse a pro-life stance without calling it pandering?

I think the republicans will do all they can to make sure the pro-life “label” goes with them only. And I think we have been hoodwinked by most of them anyway. I don’t believe the majority of them are really pro-life.

I want all moderate democrats to stand up, not be afraid to own up to their moral values and stop paying attention to the far left. They don’t represent us.

40.png
chicago:
Realize that Fr. Pfleger has worked his entire ministerial life (since seminary) in the black community. He’s basically developed kind of a cult around himself based more upon being this dynamic white guy in black culture. He’s tried to adapt a lot of things to a more protestant style form of worship and outreach which he thinks better connects with the people.
Oh, I understand more than you know. I lived in the city for 17 years while I was raising my oldest children. Fr. Pflegar was in the news all the time. I agree with some of the things he has done, but not others. At that time I was in a very liberal parish also, so I wasn’t as concerned about those type of violations. Now, however, I question a lot of what he does. I don’t question his motives, for he clearly loves his people and his neighborhood. He really is just not following Catholic practices. He seems rather Protestant.

40.png
PJR:
Honestly though, would the republicans allow a democrat to espouse a pro-life stance without calling it pandering?
Don’t blame this on the Republicans. I was once a registered Democrat, and voted mostly Democrat with a few exceptions. There used to be prolife Democrats, before Roe vs. Wade. Things certainly have changed. The Democrats can’t blame their problems on the Republicans. They chose this route of death. It has been their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back