Non-Denominational

• Thread starter Thread starter picasso_13
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

picasso_13

So, since the RC is not a denomination, but rather a sect…I think I’ll start telling my friends I go to a Non-denominational church. HA HA HA HA 😃

40.png
picasso_13:
So, since the RC is not a denomination, but rather a sect…I think I’ll start telling my friends I go to a Non-denominational church. HA HA HA HA 😃
Bull! You are going to the Church founded by Jesus Christ (Mat 16:18). The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church which outside of it NO ONE can be saved!

“No man can find salvation except in the Catholic Church. Outside the Catholic Church one can have everything except salvation. One can have honour, one can have the sacraments, one can sing alleluia, one can answer amen, one can have faith in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, and preach it too, but never can one find salvation except in the Catholic Church.” (Saint Augustine – Sermon to the People of Caesaria)

The word “denomination” just means “name.”

So yes, the Catholic Church is a denomination.

For clarification, I would say that the RCC is THE Church and the others are sects, which is how the church officially classifies them.

Reminds me of an old joke–A new family was moving into the house across the street from a house where a certain little boy lived, and he went over to get acquainted with their little boy. In the course of getting acquainted the subject of Sunday School came up, and one of the boys was heard to ask the other one, “And which abomination do you belong to?” 😛

I remember riding home from school one day when I was in 5th grade. I was asking my parents about Protestants (my dad converted from Methodist). After listening to them for about 10 minutes I decided to give a summary of what I heard. “So, protestants are just lazy Catholics?” 🙂

40.png
beng:
Bull! You are going to the Church founded by Jesus Christ (Mat 16:18). The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church which outside of it NO ONE can be saved!

“No man can find salvation except in the Catholic Church. Outside the Catholic Church one can have everything except salvation. One can have honour, one can have the sacraments, one can sing alleluia, one can answer amen, one can have faith in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, and preach it too, but never can one find salvation except in the Catholic Church.” (Saint Augustine – Sermon to the People of Caesaria)
I hope you don’t mean this to say that if you’re not Catholic you’re going to hell. Paragraph 846 of the CCC explains it in this way:

“Outside the Church there is no salvation”

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847* This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

848 “Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men.”

Taking this into account, I do believe that there are those outside of the Catholic Church who will be saved.

40.png
picasso_13:
I think I’ll start telling my friends I go to a Non-denominational church. HA HA HA HA 😃
Yea,

The First Apostolic Church of the Nazarene 😃 😃

Also take note of Paragraph 838:

838 “The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter.” Those “who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church.” With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound “that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist.”

40.png
funkyhorn:
I hope you don’t mean this to say that if you’re not Catholic you’re going to hell. Paragraph 846 of the CCC explains it in this way:

“Outside the Church there is no salvation”

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847* This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

848 “Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men.”

Taking this into account, I do believe that there are those outside of the Catholic Church who will be saved.
No, the salvation is INSIDE the church. Nothing else suffice.

For the ones who aren’t currently members of the Church, in order to be saved, will someday JOINED to the church.

Those who are invincible ignorant and lead a flawless life in search for God shall be joined to the Church (probably in a certain stage in their death, strictly IMO).

There really is no salvation outside the Church.

40.png
beng:
No, the salvation is INSIDE the church. Nothing else suffice.

For the ones who aren’t currently members of the Church, in order to be saved, will someday JOINED to the church.

Those who are invincible ignorant and lead a flawless life in search for God shall be joined to the Church (probably in a certain stage in their death, strictly IMO).

There really is no salvation outside the Church.
Point made. Thank you for clarifying!

40.png
picasso_13:
Hehe,

I’ll just tell people I’m a member of the First Church of Jesus Christ, Unreformed, Roman Synod 🙂

40.png
BobCatholic:
Hehe,

I’ll just tell people I’m a member of the First Church of Jesus Christ, Unreformed, Roman Synod 🙂
Huh, I thought you were non-aligned.

Justin

40.png
beng:
I don’t mean to be rude, but I am not Catholic yet( I am working on that). It was just these kind of comments that kept me so angry and hurt by the Church and only when people stopped saying stuff like that that I was able to be led home. I remarks like this push non-catholics away from the Church and makes it like Catholics think they are better than non-catholics. I don’t think it is intended, but it comes off that way. Just be careful not to hurt peoples feelings. I mean if a person was raised not understanding the Catholic faith and no one shows them the truth we don’t know if Jesus would send them to hell or not.

Shari

40.png
Shari:
I don’t mean to be rude, but I am not Catholic yet( I am working on that). It was just these kind of comments that kept me so angry and hurt by the Church and only when people stopped saying stuff like that that I was able to be led home. I remarks like this push non-catholics away from the Church and makes it like Catholics think they are better than non-catholics. I don’t think it is intended, but it comes off that way. Just be careful not to hurt peoples feelings. I mean if a person was raised not understanding the Catholic faith and no one shows them the truth we don’t know if Jesus would send them to hell or not.

Shari
I completely agree, Shari. Also, regarding the whole denomination thing…I have found that sometimes it is necessary to refer to Catholicism as a denomination in order to share the Catholic faith with most Protestants, who usually have a completely different “faith vocabulary” than Catholics. Congrats on becoming Catholic, though. Welcome to the party.

I’m new to these boards, by the way…but I should be around fairly often. Peace.+

40.png
Shari:
I don’t mean to be rude, but I am not Catholic yet( I am working on that). It was just these kind of comments that kept me so angry and hurt by the Church
Look at Paul’s, John’s and Peter’s words to the heretics in the Bible. They’re harsh too.
and only when people stopped saying stuff like that that I was able to be led home. I remarks like this push non-catholics away from the Church
I guess. But it needs to be brought up at some point in their conversion process.
and makes it like Catholics think they are better than non-catholics.
We are

That is the truth.
I don’t think it is intended, but it comes off that way.
Well, it was not really intended that way. But it’s the truth that Catholics are better than other.
Just be careful not to hurt peoples feelings.
Ok. Yet some people need a kick in the butt moreso than a pad in the back.
I mean if a person was raised not understanding the Catholic faith and no one shows them the truth we don’t know if Jesus would send them to hell or not.
We don’t know for sure. But we can make an educated guess with high precission. Luther is prolly in Hell (certainty 99%), Judas is obviously in hell. Marcel Le Febvre is prolly 40% in hell. Hitler is prolly 95% in hell. etc etc

40.png
whiteknight012:
I I have found that sometimes it is necessary to refer to Catholicism as a denomination in order to share the Catholic faith with most Protestants, who usually have a completely different “faith vocabulary” than Catholics.
No way.

Denomination is man made.

This is the one true church. All those saints who shed martir’s blood will roll in their grave if she’s reduced to the man made and eroneous “denominational” title

40.png
whiteknight012:
I completely agree, Shari. Also, regarding the whole denomination thing…I have found that sometimes it is necessary to refer to Catholicism as a denomination in order to share the Catholic faith with most Protestants, who usually have a completely different “faith vocabulary” than Catholics. Congrats on becoming Catholic, though. Welcome to the party.

I’m new to these boards, by the way…but I should be around fairly often. Peace.+
Thanks,
I am injoying the party very much. And you hit the nail right on the head about the denomination. Most of the breakdown between Catholics and protestant is language differences. I know it was for me. Such as prayer and worship. Great Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back