0
0Scarlett_nidiyilii
Guest
Unfortunately, lack of reverence for life only ever ends badly.
But the problem is, once you allow it for the “competent”, there is NO WAY to keep it spreading to people who don’t want it.But I can see someone with Alzheimer’s making that decision for themselves when they are still competent to do so.
Someone did just that and this was the result - my links at post #62But I can see someone with Alzheimer’s making that decision for themselves when they are still competent to do so.
Of course, someone can commit suicide without assistance if they really want to. They do it all the time. That’s what Robin Williams did. His autopsy showed that he had “diffuse Lewy body dementia” which his wife described as “the terrorist inside my husband’s brain.” He hung himself. Who would want to live with a “terrorist” inside their brain?Thorolfr:![]()
But the problem is, once you allow it for the “competent”, there is NO WAY to keep it spreading to people who don’t want it.But I can see someone with Alzheimer’s making that decision for themselves when they are still competent to do so.
There are plenty of examples upthread to to back up this point.
Of course they do.Of course, someone can commit suicide without assistance if they really want to.
What does “nice” even mean?but just being nice person?
He must not have known today's Jesuits very well, if he thought that was surprising in any way.In a March 16 Facebook post, Fuller claimed that he had completed the legal steps required to receive a prescription of life-ending drugs, and that he had the approval of a priest to end his own life.
“I have absolutely no reservations about what I am doing,” he wrote. “And my pastor/sponsor has given me his blessings. And he’s a Jesuit!!!”
An execution is different than a planned suicide. I could see a Catholic going for a visit sometime, and saying “You know I don’t agree with this, but I wish you well, and I hope you change your mind”. That would be a LOT different than going to a “party” right before the suicide. In fact I don’t see how anyone could go to such a “party” without feeling deeply disturbed and ill the whole time. But that’s just me.So do Catholics think that there is anything wrong with offering comfort and friendship to someone who intends kill themselves? I don’t mean supporting their planned action of pretending to agree with it, but just being nice person? having pointed out your religious objection why not attend a gathering of friends? Not unlike, I magine, what a priest in support of the Church’s teaching on the death penalty does when accompanying a Catholic to their execution.
This is precisely the problem.By making sure - as much as we can - that they can make their own decisions.
This is the same logic that will be used to justify legalizing prostitution, pedophilia, necrophilia, and other forms of perversion in the next century.If it does not force you to participate, don’t chastise them.