Not attending brother's wedding

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMJ01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, excommunication is a formal process initiated by the hierarchy. By your logic, if anyone commits a mortal sin–such as not going to Mass every Sunday–he or she is excommunicated. The assertion is wrong as to fact.
There is such a thing called latae setentiae excommunication (I hope I spelled it right) in which a person excommunicates his or herself simply by doing a certain act. That is the type of excommunication someone who procures an abortion incurs.
 
There is such a thing called latae setentiae excommunication (I hope I spelled it right) in which a person excommunicates his or herself simply by doing a certain act. That is the type of excommunication someone who procures an abortion incurs.
Sure, abortion means excommunication until it is confessed (Fr. Serpa had a post on this). No excommunication attaches to an invalid marriage under the present catechism.
 
Thanks norseman. As I’m sure you are aware, the Baltimore Catechism is itself no longer valid. It dates to 1885.
So, does that mean all the contents are out the door as well? Should we throw out the ten Commandments as well?
 
Sure, abortion means excommunication until it is confessed (Fr. Serpa had a post on this). No excommunication attaches to an invalid marriage under the present catechism.
Unless they are going to go through a wedding ceremony and live as brother and sister, every time they have sex in an invalid marriage they commit the grav sin of fornication - last I checked, that is still a mortal sin. Those in mortal sin cannot recieve communion - thus, they ARE excommunicated.
 
Sure, abortion means excommunication until it is confessed (Fr. Serpa had a post on this). No excommunication attaches to an invalid marriage under the present catechism.
I don’t know if CCC talks about that in detail one way or the other, but the fact that people don’t care at all is reason for concern.
 
Look, I note that your description says that you are Catholic. Are you Roman Catholic? Because if you are not, I would rather just end the discussion. By my way of thinking, if you don’t accept the authority of Rome debating the details on matters such as excommunication is largely a waste of time.
 
Sure, abortion means excommunication until it is confessed (Fr. Serpa had a post on this). No excommunication attaches to an invalid marriage under the present catechism.
FYI, in this type of excommunication, the pentitent normally needs to confess to the bishop to get it lifted (the concept called ordinario reservatum, if I spelled it correctly).
 
So, does that mean all the contents are out the door as well? Should we throw out the ten Commandments as well?
I already invited you to refer to the Code of Canon Law as a reference for this kind of topics. Why do you keep mentioning the Baltimore Catechism when referring to disciplines that have been modified? The Dogmas will never change but disciplines can be subject to change. I do not think that it is intellectually correct to mention a reference to a law that might have been abrogated.
 
Very good post!!!
👍 absolutely agree.

I struggled with this myself and it is a hard question, a major decision with no do-overs. I lost so much sleep over it, praying to find the ‘right’ answer. Initially I thought that a “good Catholic” would not attend, because you’d be sending the wrong message.

After speaking with two different priests over this (always an option, you know, talking to a priest) my ultimate decision was that I chose to Love. I can accept that they chose a non-Catholic wedding. I do not know God’s plan for them and I do know many people who have had their marriages blessed in the Church 20-30 years after their legal marriage. I chose to attend and share in their joy.

More importantly, getting married in the Church when you do not believe is the greater sin. It would be sacrilegious. In this case, the marriage didn’t last anyway. These two would be divorced no matter where they got married and if they had married in the Church, then they would be dealing with the annulment process etc.

ALL love comes from God and the greatest commandment is to Love.

Another poster stated that they know what you believe. Attending does not mean you are turning your back on your faith or even showing approval of their choice, it just means that you are showing them Love.

JMHO

I would encourage you to consider attending the wedding, accepting them where they are … as God accepts us.

I pray that you the decision that works best for you.
 
The process to formally defect from the Faith was removed from Canon Law a few days ago. Once Catholic, always Catholic.

God is serious about the faith, time the rest of us got serious as well.
can you please provide some reference or data to support such a statement?
 
I already invited you to refer to the Code of Canon Law as a reference for this kind of topics. Why do you keep mentioning the Baltimore Catechism when referring to disciplines that have been modified? The Dogmas will never change but disciplines can be subject to change. I do not think that it is intellectually correct to mention a reference to a law that might have been abrogated.
First, the Baltimore Catechism was the standard of educating millions of Catholics in the US, and considering the Mass attendance was much higher and divorce rate much lower back in the pre-Vatican 2 days, it must have done something right and so should be given some respect, even if some of the disciplines and penalties have changed. The ordinary Joey Bagadonuts in the pews had a simple reference book that covered most of the common questions and didn’t have to have a table full of books open to do a research project just to find out if he was committing a mortal sin or not.

Second, if you have a reference from the Code of Canon Law in regards to this matter, please share it. If you have it available and can show that in the 1917 Code those marrying invalidly incurred excommunication but in the 1983 code it was reversed that would help as well.
 
can you please provide some reference or data to support such a statement?
As far as I can tell, this creates the following timeline for handling the above marital situations:

•For marriages attempted prior to the promulgation of the 1983 Code, the old law was in force and there was no exception for formal defection.
•From the promulgation of the 1983 Code to the 2006 clarification, the formal defection exception was in effect and was to be interpreted broadly, in keeping with the language of the law. (The 2006 clarification went beyond the language of the law and thus should not be retroactive in force; CIC, can. 16).
•From the 2006 clarification to the effective date of the new motu proprio, the formal defection exception was in effect but formal defection was to be interpreted much more narrowly.
•From the effective date of the motu proprio (should be some time in early 2010), the law reverts to the status quo ante the 1983 Code, so there will be no exception for cases of formal defection

jimmyakin.org/2009/12/once-a-catholic-.html

Link here to the official documents, as well as to Ed Peters blog.
 
You cannot be excommunicated for an invalid marriage. Where on EARTH did you get that idea?
I thought a Catholic would be excommunicated if they got married without the Church’s permission. (I know I won’t be) But I thought a Catholic could…)
 
As far as I can tell, this creates the following timeline for handling the above marital situations . . .
Akins is always well informed, and the change is very recent (another poster mentioned this but I did not look it up). The brother of the OP would under the new rules be considered to have an invalid marriage that would need to be convalidated if they return to Catholicism. Or so it would appear.

Nonetheless, it is a very different matter from excommunication. The change is NOT excommunicating lapsed Catholics who marry outside the Church, merely (it seems) requiring convalidation.

Still think the OP should show for the wedding in the spirit of Christian love for family.
 
Should I Attend? …

Moral Principles

Everything we do must encourage and provide for our salvation and the salvation of others. We must be in the world, but not of the world (cf. Jn. 17:15-19). By our participation in the lives of others, we must be salt of the earth and witness to the truths of Christ and His Church (Mt. 5:13). When we provide for our salvation and the salvation of others, we fulfill the two great commandments: to love God with our whole heart, mind and soul, and to love our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God (cf. Mt. 22:37-40). We must take care, however, not to become “flat salt.” As our Lord says:

You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trodden under foot by men. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid. Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven (Mt. 5:13-16).

The example given by Christ is noteworthy. He did not hesitate to associate Himself with sinners (Phil. 2:4-8). Though God, He took our human nature upon Himself, becoming like us in all ways except sin. He brought us truth in a way that we can easily understand. In this same way, we must not hesitate to associate ourselves with fellow sinners. However, we must take care to avoid sin and scandal.
:clapping:

Teresa, I adore you. Beautifully done! I’m going to save these readings to use often. 🙂

Great post. 👍
 
Flat salt is those who say that sin is okay, and that we can celebrate the sin.

Christ NEVER celebrated sin, He loved the sinner and called them OUT of the sin and always said “SIN NO MORE”.
 
Unless they are going to go through a wedding ceremony and live as brother and sister, every time they have sex in an invalid marriage they commit the grav sin of fornication - last I checked, that is still a mortal sin. Those in mortal sin cannot recieve communion - thus, they ARE excommunicated.
See I have a hard time with this- when it involves a Catholic who has decided to leave the Catholic Church, and so doesn’t see himself/herself as having an obligation to be married in the Catholic Church. I can see the marriage perhaps not being a sacrament-but fornication???

I mean in the case of my friend, she’s waiting to marriage…Maybe there were aspects of her marriage that will not be right, but I really don’t feel its the same thing as a couple who is knowingly engaging in premarital sex.

The same goes with this girls brother. He seems to think the Catholic Church is wrong and another Church is right. He is confused. But at LEAST he’s marrying this girl-and not sleeping with her outside of marriage…He thinks that he’s getting married to her at this point-he DOESN’T see his obligation to get married in a Church he disagrees with… And nothing the family is going to say is really going to convince him-the Holy Spirit has too.

All I’m saying here is if I understand it correctly when it comes to a mortal sin-doesn’t full consent of the will imply? If someone thinks they are in a valid marriage-and they are sleeping with that partner-that in and out of itself cannot be a mortal sin.
 
Flat salt is those who say that sin is okay, and that we can celebrate the sin.
Christ NEVER celebrated sin, He loved the sinner and called them OUT of the sin and always said “SIN NO MORE”.
But is it the Union itself that is sinful? Or is the not being part of the Church. I mean if someone sees themselves as not Catholic-and not obligated to marry in the Church. That may be a different matter than the marriage-in and of itself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top