P
Philthy
Guest
I have purposely been lurking on the sidelines allowing you 2 to discuss these issues uninterrupted. My logic skills are pretty finely tuned and I always perk up when I see someone use the word “logic” as you did. Unfortunately for your argument, there is unequivocably a hole in your logic. You have incorrectly concluded from the above verse that everyone who is justified is also glorified. That, however, is not quite correct. It is more correct to say that OF THOSE HE PREDESTINED he also called, justified and glorified. What remains to be determined is whom, exactly is Paul referring to when he uses the term “those he predestined”.Don’t mix apples and oranges. I quoted this verse in reference to assurance, and it does implicitly state the gift of perseverance is given. Check it out:
Romans 8:30
And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
There is no hole in this logic. Those whom he justifies he also glorifies.
For the clearest determination of that, we need to present the ENTIRE section from Romans 8:29-30:
"For those he FOREKNEW he also PREDESTINED…And those he predestined he also called…justified…and glorified.
I beleive the logical conclusion is that OF THOSE HE FOREKNEW he also predestined, etc etc etc. And the question becomes “Who are those he foreknew?”
The answer is most clearly expressed in Romnas 11:1-2
“…has God rejected his people? Of course not! For I too am an Israelite…God has not rejected his people whom he FORENEW.”
When Paul is talking about “his people whom he foreknew” he means the remnant of the Israelites whom God foreknew, predestined etc etc. That is why he says in verse 11:5 "So also at the present time there is a REMNANT(of Israelites), CHOSEN BY GRACE.
So who are “those he foreknew” who were “predestined to Glory?” The answer is the remnant of the Israelites. of which Paul is a member. That invalidates some of the conclusions that you have regarding how that verse applies to you and me. In addition, it would be erroneous logic to conclude from these verses that EVERYONE who is glorified was PREDESTINED to glorification…
I will let you two continue uninterrupted…
BTW - it’s nice to see the charitable posting from each of you.