Now the Lutherans

• Thread starter Thread starter geezerbob
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Richardols:
I thought that Episcopalians and other Protestants were our “separated brethren.” What’s the point of knocking them like that?
Yes, and when my physical brother remains obstinate in fallacy, I bust on him too. There’s more than one way to skin a cat. To caveat that, the Mainstream Protestants are moving farther and farther away from the Gospel truth. The stand at the brink of destruction, and only being bluntly told of their errors will save them from the abyss.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Yes, and when my physical brother remains obstinate in fallacy, I bust on him too. There’s more than one way to skin a cat. To caveat that, the Mainstream Protestants are moving farther and farther away from the Gospel truth. The stand at the brink of destruction, and only being bluntly told of their errors will save them from the abyss.
Also some of the responses were HILARIOUS!! Lighten up Richardols. Geez! Isn’t there some famous saying about real saints don’t look constipated all of the time? Or how about, smile and the world smiles with you, scowl and people ask “Are you a Baptist?” It’s not necessary to be the frozen chosen.

Lisa N

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
I was thinking of one of those brethren being invited to drop by the Forum to chat with knowledgeable orthodox Catholics (with the hope that he may be inspired to think about conversion) and then he comes by and sees this pi**ing on his faith.

Hey, go ahead, knock them any way you like, but it’s not good PR, IMO anyway.

40.png
Richardols:
I was thinking of one of those brethren being invited to drop by the Forum to chat with knowledgeable orthodox Catholics (with the hope that he may be inspired to think about conversion) and then he comes by and sees this pi**ing on his faith.

Hey, go ahead, knock them any way you like, but it’s not good PR, IMO anyway.
And the Pharisees were pretty pi**ed off too when Jesus kicked the money changers and animal peddlers out of the temple, and he wasn’t very cordial about it.

40.png
Richardols:
Knowing many Lutherans as I do, I’d say that your comment is quite appropriate for those traditionalist Lutherans who are in the churches that are abandoning the requirement for heterosexual clergy.

As for Missouri Synod, they’re going to be Lutherans forever. There’s still quite a bit of anti-catholicism among those die-hards and they are really committed to traditional Lutheranism.
Yes, we were Missouri Synod for a brief time after leaving the Episcopal Church and before joining the Catholic Church. Our former minister put it this way. He said that out of all the Protestant denominations, the Missouri Synod tradition of the Lutheran Church is probably closest one can get to the beliefs of the Catholic Church. What floored us, however, was that their official statements still identify the pope as the anti-christ. After we read that, we all but ran to the Catholic Church! Still, they are our allies on the important social issues of the day.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
And the Pharisees were pretty pi**ed off too when Jesus kicked the money changers and animal peddlers out of the temple, and he wasn’t very cordial about it.
Non-Catholics who might be interested in our faith are to be consider the same as Pharisees? Surely not.

We should have pity on our Lutheran brothers. I am in a dialog with a Lutheran at work. He’s pretty upset about all of this. Many of the more conservative Lutherans have adopted a wait & see position. They’re hoping that it gets voted down…but, ever since they allowed female clergy, things have gotten progressively worse (the only type of ‘progressive’ there is…).

It seems that many Lutherans think of ‘fundamentalists’ as their enemies, so its unlikely that many will head that direction, I think it likely that many in the ELCA will join with the Missouri synod.

We should make known that we will welcome them back to our Church…

40.png
Isidore_AK:
We should make known that we will welcome them back to our Church…
You are right. And we should do so without making fun of their Burger King or McDonald’s churches, as some put it.

If a “separated brethren” is so influenced by a post on a message board, what does that say about his faith?

If I’m looking into the teachings of a group or Church, I certainly don’t rely exclusively on a message board. In fact, I don’t even think that the opinions expressed are infallible or represent actual church teachings. . .unless I research and find them within the Catechism, for example.

And I certainly don’t JUDGE an entire group based on a semi-anonymous, off-the-cuff response by some person. . .especially on a MESSAGE board, where one cannot even perceive body language or tone of voice.

That being said, it would be wonderful to see perfect charity, perfect love, and perfect truth all the time.
I’ll say here and now that if I have said anything offensive regarding anything at all, I apologize. And I’m pretty certain that the majority of people on here were indulging in humor, and not meaning to be offensive, but hey, we’re all human and we make mistakes.

God bless our brothers and sisters, whether they like Mickey D, Burger King, or the Cordon Bleu . . .

40.png
Richardols:
You are right. And we should do so without making fun of their Burger King or McDonald’s churches, as some put it.
I think the fast food analogy is perfect for our “separated bretheren”. Custom ordered theology served while you wait. I mean why go to the Catholic church where there is only one item on the menu and you can’t change it. At least with the protestant sects, if you don’t like the trappings of one denomination, you can go “church shopping” until you find a pastor and congregation that “feels right”. I was never under the impression that Jesus cared whether His teachings sat well with potential disciples. In fact, in John chapter 6, many are driven away by what he teaches, and he makes no attempt to call them back and re-explain himself. He, in effect, said, this is the Truth, take it or leave it. I ain’t changing it for anyone.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
I think the fast food analogy is perfect for our “separated bretheren”. Custom ordered theology served while you wait. I mean why go to the Catholic church where there is only one item on the menu and you can’t change it. At least with the protestant sects, if you don’t like the trappings of one denomination, you can go “church shopping” until you find a pastor and congregation that “feels right”…
Or if you want, you can rally the troops, find a minister and establish the “Church of What’s Happenin’ Now.” My husband was raised in what was literally the fourth generation of a Protestant church established by Swedish immigrants. Last I heard a group from that church got mad about something and hightailed it to another building where they’ve established yet another new denomination. I dunno, that’s not very appealing. A church established by ticked off humans doesn’t have a lot to build on.
40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
I was never under the impression that Jesus cared whether His teachings sat well with potential disciples. In fact, in John chapter 6, many are driven away by what he teaches, and he makes no attempt to call them back and re-explain himself. He, in effect, said, this is the Truth, take it or leave it. I ain’t changing it for anyone.
That’s a real difference. When I told my pastor I was leaving Methodism because they kept ‘changing all the rules’ he said he agreed and it was a major frustration to him as well.

Lisa N

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
At least with the protestant sects, if you don’t like the trappings of one denomination, you can go “church shopping” until you find a pastor and congregation that “feels right”.
You can do the same with Catholic churches.

Well, I left when they began ordaining women. I couldn’t get around the “pastor Jody” thing.
A church established by ticked off humans doesn’t have a lot to build on.
And as far as I can determine, that’s all prot churches since a ticked off Martin Luther threw the baby out with the bathwater.

40.png
catsrus:
Well, I left when they began ordaining women. I couldn’t get around the “pastor Jody” thing.

And as far as I can determine, that’s all prot churches since a ticked off Martin Luther threw the baby out with the bathwater.
Good point! The history of the church of the ticked off is long and distinguished!

Between Pastor Jody, Bob and Harry get married and Harry is named Bishop and we are marching for ‘women’s lives’ I definitely shook the dust off my feet and left the protestors forever.

Lisa N

Oh GOODY another “let’s bash Protestants” thread. Give yourself a BIG pat on your backs…
Really folks, your excrement has the same odor as anyone else, no matter what building you walk in on Sunday.

40.png
Lilyofthevalley:
Oh GOODY another “let’s bash Protestants” thread. Give yourself a BIG pat on your backs…
Really folks, your excrement has the same odor as anyone else, no matter what building you walk in on Sunday.
We aren’t talking about excrement, we are talking about doctrine, unless of course you believe that Protestant doctrine is just as good as Catholic Doctrine. If so, why bother staying Catholic?

Things are moving this way for sure! In fact, I would say the majority of Catholics I know don’t have a problem with homosexuality. I would not exclude someone because of their sexual orientation! What will happen to you lot if the new Pope does proclaim that it isn’t inherantly disordered? Oh no!

:eek:

What will you do???

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
unless of course you believe that Protestant doctrine is just as good as Catholic Doctrine.
Some of it is. E.g., Protestant doctrine about an omnipotent triune God, about Jesus Christ as Redeemer and Saviour, about an afterlife, Heaven and Hell, about conforming ourselves to the will of God, is just as good as our doctrine. Indeed, we share those beliefs with them!

40.png
FightingFat:
Things are moving this way for sure! In fact, I would say the majority of Catholics I know don’t have a problem with homosexuality. I would not exclude someone because of their sexual orientation! What will happen to you lot if the new Pope does proclaim that it isn’t inherantly disordered? Oh no!

:eek:

What will you do???
There is a difference between homosexuals and homosexuality…so as a Catholic…I don’t exclude the ‘person’…

you know the old but true…hate the sin… love the sinner…

cest moi,
A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back