Obama plans curbs on guns

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Songcatcher. You opined on post 467:
I read a great article recently from one of President Obama’s spiritual advisers who accompanied him to Sandy Hook when he met with the parents. Shame on anyone who thinks President Obama was faking this.
The article you cited was from Joshua Dubois published on Huffington Post.

Joshua Dubois has accomplished many things. Mr. Dubois is also a former Obama employee for many years. Dubois was the founder of “Values Partnerships”, a Washington D.C. based Community Organizing and Community Activist organization funded by Oprah Winfrey, Paramount Pictures, and others (here).

The article you cited had President Obama (properly) offering deep sympathy for the victims of Sandy Hook and their families.

I want to affirm President Obama in that expression of angst.

But I want to remind you too, that . . .

**. . . . people who oppose the Second Amendment do not have a monopoly on compassion for victims of violence!

People who support the Second Amendment ALSO have concern and empathy for such victims.**

I am not saying YOU are trivializing Second Amendment freedom supporter’s views here, but I have not seen you, or the article you cited as even acknowledging empathy and consideration from the people who support the U.S. Constitution. (Yet nobody here is “shaming” you)

And politicians are not beyond politicizing tragedy. And when they have come out publicly and say tragedies such as gun-deaths SHOULD BE POLITICIZED (as President Obama has), it WAS a little bit of an over-reach in my opinion for you to suggest “shame-ing” some of the posters here.

I did not think the Huff-Po article was “a great article” but that’s just my opinion.
 
Wrath carried out by a weapon? Which weapon do you know that can carry out it’s wrath? Which weapon do you know has a wrath?

Jon
Now take a look at how this argument sound when you applied the context to drugs; Drugs are just a tool, it’s the people that are bad. There may be a lot of truth in this statement. However, you don’t see anyone encouraging a free-for-all for narcotics. The presents of drugs have caused mass devastations. Just like guns, the ease of availably may lead one down a path that they may not consider if it were more difficult to obtain.

Yes, there are also the positive elements. But when those points are overshadowed by the negative elements; a change need to take place.

I mentioned in previous posts, that I have seen many parts of the world where guns are abundant in public site. I never felt so insecure and the tension created by their presents was so apparent. But these are hostile environments that are experiencing incredible turmoil’s. I also mentioned in tranquil environments, I enjoy the ability to walk feely without fear…a gun cannot provide this - I know that from experience.
 
I apologize, but I had to laugh when I saw your (unscaled - I had to scroll side-to-side) picture. Please only post images of proper aspect ratios. Besides, this is pageantry!

Be serious, anything like the Knights of Columbus doesn’t count. No offense, I have known & know many of them through the years. I definitely would not count on their protection in a time of crises - even knowing that they carry a sword.

What I don’t want to see is a guard by the doors. However, one thing that you can be certain, this will not be the case in more affluent neighborhoods…there is a connection there!
 
I wholeheartedly and without any reservation whatsoever applaud President Obama for these anticipated actions. In a 2014 poll a whopping 80% of Americans favored closing the gun show loophole.

uml.edu/News/press-releases/2014/gun-control-poll-2014.aspx

The Republican led Congress has had their chance and more than enough time to listen to the American people. Yet they have failed miserably. So if it then takes President Obama to lead the way and to do something, anything, within his power, about the gun violence in this country, may God bless President Obama for attempting to do something it. These only seem to be common sense, reasonable steps. Not an all out assault on the 2nd amendment although I’ve little doubt the NRA, the gun lobby, Republicans and their cohorts will play it up to be.
Please explain the gun show loophole for me.
 
I apologize, but I had to laugh when I saw your (unscaled - I had to scroll side-to-side) picture. Please only post images of proper aspect ratios. Besides, this is pageantry!

Be serious, anything like the Knights of Columbus doesn’t count. No offense, I have known & know many of them through the years. I definitely would not count on their protection in a time of crises - even knowing that they carry a sword.

What I don’t want to see is a guard by the doors. However, one thing that you can be certain, this will not be the case in more affluent neighborhoods…there is a connection there!
The Swiss Guard, while wearing some ceremonial clothes, is not a joke. They have REAL weapons, swords, pikes and even guns. LOTS of guns. The other photo I provided is the armory of the Swiss Guard. And guess where it is stored…the Vatican!

Those Swiss Guard you see have more weapons than just the pikes you see. I guarantee you there are many guns carried by security while a papal mass is going on.
 
The Swiss Guard, while wearing some ceremonial clothes, is not a joke. They have REAL weapons, swords, pikes and even guns. LOTS of guns. The other photo I provided is the armory of the Swiss Guard. And guess where it is stored…the Vatican!

Those Swiss Guard you see have more weapons than just the pikes you see. I guarantee you there are many guns carried by security while a papal mass is going on.
The Swiss guard are definitely not just ceremonial. They are serious soldiers in direct service to the Church, and they know how to use every weapon they carry.
 
The Swiss Guard, while wearing some ceremonial clothes, is not a joke. They have REAL weapons, swords, pikes and even guns. LOTS of guns. The other photo I provided is the armory of the Swiss Guard. And guess where it is stored…the Vatican!

Those Swiss Guard you see have more weapons than just the pikes you see. I guarantee you there are many guns carried by security while a papal mass is going on.
I was living in Switzerland when one of them shot his wife or something similar. Can’'t really remember the details. The Swiss covered it in depth, however, since the guard are drawn from the Swiss Army and heavily armed when they feel they need to be.
 
Obama isn’t advocating for disarming armies is he? Armies are meant to be armed. They are trained to protect and accountable to the government. They are an almost primal vocation throughout the history of mankind.
 
Obama isn’t advocating for disarming armies is he? Armies are meant to be armed. They are trained to protect and accountable to the government. They are an almost primal vocation throughout the history of mankind.
No. Governments never advocate for disarming their representatives. In fact, under Obama more government agencies are fielding more armed agents. Like the social security department, forestry, IRS, Department of Education etc.

Although, he has taken steps to stop providing/removing some of the excess military equipment being used by local (i.e. county/city/school district) law enforcement.

Every LEO agency (federal and local) is pointing to terrorism risk as justification for increases in armament.
 
No. Governments never advocate for disarming their representatives. In fact, under Obama more government agencies are fielding more armed agents. Like the social security department, forestry, IRS, Department of Education etc.

Although, he has taken steps to stop providing/removing some of the excess military equipment being used by local (i.e. county/city/school district) law enforcement.

Every LEO agency (federal and local) is pointing to terrorism risk as justification for increases in armament.
But you’re talking about the government as though it is something separate from the people. In a democracy the government* is* the people. The army are the people. These aren’t entities that have arrived from a different land or magically transformed into something else when they are elected. They are all ‘the people’. We want an army and police because a society without that structure is chaos and inhumane. They aren’t ‘our’ enemy. They are ‘us’ and they do a service that we recognise as a positive and universal service in the health of nations.

It shouldn’t be necessary for regular public servants to be armed, but you have those nuts like in Oregan who are likely to shootup public servants and take back their land from the foreign invaders… for ‘the American people’. What!!! It’s nuts.
 
But you’re talking about the government as though it is something separate from the people. In a democracy the government* is* the people. The army are the people. These aren’t entities that have arrived from a different land or magically transformed into something else when they are elected. They are all ‘the people’. We want an army and police because a society without that structure is chaos and inhumane. They aren’t ‘our’ enemy. They are ‘us’ and they do a service that we recognise as a positive and universal service in the health of nations.

It shouldn’t be necessary for regular public servants to be armed, but you have those nuts like in Oregan who are likely to shootup public servants and take back their land from the foreign invaders… for ‘the American people’. What!!! It’s nuts.
Well, I certainly view the army, law enforcement and the public as all part of ‘the people’. I’m not sure our politicians see it the same way. They definitely exempt themselves from many of the laws and conditions they impose on ‘the people’. Certainly throughout history, particularly recent history, the political/controlling class in many countries considered themselves a breed apart from ‘the people’ at large, and the military a means of keeping ‘the people’ under appropriate control.
 
jimsnew In post 481 you said . . .
Please explain the gun show loophole for me.
There is no “gun show loophole”.

It is a social engineering tool-term meant to fool the public into giving up gun rights.

See this video (link below) and then ask some follow up questions up for me at that time.

Fully automatic weapons (“machine guns”) have been under extremely tight scrutiny since the 1930’s if I recall correctly. And almost nobody owns them including the “dealers”.

I can’t remember when a crime has been carried out using an automatic weapon.

Yet listen to the absolutely dishonest interviews on this video. Especially between 0:38 seconds to 1:10.

The CNN “newsman” at 48 seconds it is almost certain he is mixed up (he doesn’t know the type of gun he is alleging to report on, or he’s lying to you on camera).

Then look at 3:44 and see how genuinely confused
Bloomberg is!

youtube.com/watch?v=UEihkjKNhN8

Non-Dealers may carry out in-state private sales &/or gifts, These are called “Private Sales”, not “gun-show loopholes”.

If I get my “of-age son” his first shotgun for Christmas, that is a “Private Sale (Gift)” not a gun-show loophole sale.

Hope this helps. View it and let me know what questions you have afterward.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top