L
livingwordunity
Guest
He wishes the people at Sony had spoken to him first? Is he running Sony Pictures now?
I think you are both right.Not yet, but give him time. He thinks government should run everything.
He wishes the people at Sony had spoken to him first? Is he running Sony Pictures now?
I think you are both right.Not yet, but give him time. He thinks government should run everything.
Which part?Well, you’re half right.
Should they have gone on with the movie now, and forget about any threats to bomb American theaters, killing thousands, and maiming even more?Obama is right on. Sony has bowed down to terrorism.
I’m just being obnoxious. I supposed I should have chosen the correct smilie to show that. It could be good, but it definitely looks dumb. Maybe it would be dumb fun.Which part?
I like Seth Rogen and James Franco. Guess that makes me a dumb plebeian.
If you’ve ever wondered how studios manage to have their films released on the same date nationwide; its by contract. Theatre chains enter into a contract when they purchase the rights to air a film which includes the release date. They have to air the film on that date unless the copyright holder grants them permission to do otherwise or they will be sued for breach of contract and potentially lose their rights to air the film altogether. Sony announced days ago that they had released the theatre chains from that contractual requirement so they could make their own decision. So its disingenuous, at best, for Sony to claim that they were forced to cancel the release because they were suddenly ambushed by theatre companies violating their contracts. They authorized it.This is what the CEO of Sony has said in a response given today,
Your post is the most salient here but contract law is not so simply laid out as you make it out to be. For every contract there are exceptions and it doesn’t even have to be laid out in the contract for it to protect the theatre chains. Bear in mind that the terrorist threat was directed at the theatres not at Sony headquarters.If you’ve ever wondered how studios manage to have their films released on the same date nationwide; its by contract. Theatre chains enter into a contract when they purchase the rights to air a film which includes the release date. They have to air the film on that date unless the copyright holder grants them permission to do otherwise or they will be sued for breach of contract and potentially lose their rights to air the film altogether. Sony announced days ago that they had released the theatre chains from that contractual requirement so they could make their own decision. So its disingenuous, at best, for Sony to claim that they were forced to cancel the release because they were suddenly ambushed by theatre companies violating their contracts. They authorized it.![]()
When was the last time you praised a Republican?Obama is right, but, as usual nothing he says or does is seen positively around here.
It wouldn’t matter his words or actions.
Now if this were a GOP President. . . . . . .
Suppose that there was a terrorist attack on a theatre which ran the movie. And thousands of innocent people were killed or hurt. Wouldn’t that open Sony up to huge lawsuits claiming negligence in releasing the film, knowing that there was a possibility of people being bombed and killed? And wouldn’t Sony be liable for at least the cost of defending itself against these lawsuits, and possibly for negligence, so that its liability could run into hundreds of millions of dollars?If you’ve ever wondered how studios manage to have their films released on the same date nationwide; its by contract. Theatre chains enter into a contract when they purchase the rights to air a film which includes the release date. They have to air the film on that date unless the copyright holder grants them permission to do otherwise or they will be sued for breach of contract and potentially lose their rights to air the film altogether. Sony announced days ago that they had released the theatre chains from that contractual requirement so they could make their own decision. So its disingenuous, at best, for Sony to claim that they were forced to cancel the release because they were suddenly ambushed by theatre companies violating their contracts. They authorized it.![]()
How’d you figure me out so easily?! Well I live in DC area and I can tell you that both parties are corruptWhen was the last time you praised a Republican?
I believe it was the theatres themselves that did not want to take the risk so they really didn’t have a choice.I may have read wrong, but hasn’t it been determined that these threats are coming from North Korea?
It saddens me to see that we are buckling so easily on this. The movie should’ve been released as planned, allowing the public to decide whether or not they wanted to go to the theater.
Sure, one could argue “but what if there was an attack”…well, there could be. Unlikely considering the source of the threat, though. But where do we draw the line? It seems a lot of people want to keep meeting the demands of the self-proclaimed terrorists. So where does it stop? If they said they’d attack unless we stopped allowing women to vote, would we?
All that said…its North Korea. What’s Kim Jong-Un going to do? Throw water balloons at us??
My post was directed at Ringil.How’d you figure me out so easily?! Well I live in DC area and I can tell you that both parties are corrupt
I would be interested in seeing the answer to that too.When was the last time you praised a Republican?
Yes, I understand that. It was the theaters refusing to show the film which led to Sony pulling it altogether. My statement was that it’s disappointing to see the theaters along with Sony buckling under this threat. It should be left to the people if they want to see it.I believe it was the theatres themselves that did not want to take the risk so they really didn’t have a choice.
I agree. It is disappointing they buckled because it was a terrorist threat. And I agree that North Korea has now increased the demand in our country as well as other parts of the world to see this movie.Yes, I understand that. It was the theaters refusing to show the film which led to Sony pulling it altogether. My statement was that it’s disappointing to see the theaters along with Sony buckling under this threat. It should be left to the people if they want to see it.
On another note, these “terrorists” have kind of shot themselves in the foot. By making it known they don’t want anyone to see the film, it’s now inevitable that more people will be seeing it than if they had never made a threat. I’m personally not the biggest fan of these types of comedies, but now many people who share my sentiment will be wanting to see the movie.
And I have zero doubt that this movie will see the light of day. My hope is that Sony goes back on their decision and all of the theaters agree to show the film, but I could just as easily see the film being released by other means (pay-per-view, iTunes, etc.). These “terrorists” just made Sony, and all those involved with the film, along with any theater that does decide to show the film, buckets of money.
Yeap, good answerYou don’t see why the President would want to be consulted when a foreign nation (who is our enemy) is forcing a company to do their bidding?
Unfortunate but true.Obama is right, but, as usual nothing he says or does is seen positively around here.
It wouldn’t matter his words or actions.
Now if this were a GOP President. . . . . . .