OK, I Am Confused. Do Mormons Believe In The Trinity?

• Thread starter Thread starter deb1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
lets look at that

“in the resurrection people are not married” nor given in marriage.
if you look at the first part when you resurrect not married, if you were you no longer are.
This is a transmogrification of the scriptures to fit a post-apostolic doctrine. Jesus was not teaching that marriages were nullified when people were resurrected.

In fact, I misquoted the scripture. It says that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage.” It never says “They are not married.”

The apostles, prophets, the Melchizedek and Aaronic Priesthoods, etc. as described in the Bible really are analagous or “restored” in the LDS Church.
There is/was never a Melchizedek Priesthood. Joseph Smith made it up. There has never been an Aaronic Priesthood in Christianity. Both are something “invented” in the Mormon Church

Constatine was a pagan politician and a violent warmonger, not a Christian. He gave Christians their freedom to win their support. A brilliant move politically, but a disastrous move for the Church. The reason it was so terrible is that he required an orthodoxy to be put in place. Not a problem if Christianity had not already become devastatingly splintered. But you had the “Roman Church” (led by numerous Bishops who had differing opinions about orthodoxy themselves), the Donatists, the Arianists, the Novationists, the Ebionites, the Gnostics, the Marcionists, the Montanists, and who knows how many other groups who each had portions of what they thought were the original teachings of Christ or the true gospel (though most admittedly were pretty far off base).
Gnostics (100BC)
Eboinites(100-400AD)
Montanism (140AD)
Marcionism (140AD)
Novationist (250AD)
Arianist (270AD)
Donatist (300AD)
Which one of these groups developed the canon of the New Testament?

Gnostics (100BC)
Eboinites(100-400AD)
Montanism (140AD)
Marcionism (140AD)
Novationist (250AD)
Arianist (270AD)
Donatist (300AD)
Which one of these groups developed the canon of the New Testament?
Not to mention “the Roman Church”. lolsy

oh yes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does continue to use the names of various offices from the Bible, such as prophets, apostles, seventies, high priests, teachers, etc., however you will have a hard time proving they are really analogous, or continue the same rights and powers.

Too bad Diocletian did not know the “Roman” Church" would roll over by legalizing it; killing them didn’t seem to change their beliefs but legalizing them…it make sooooo much sense (to a mormon)
There are lots of facts that mormons have to ignore. Arius was excommunicated and exiled. He appealed to Constantine to get him back in communion. Constantine ordered Athanasius to reinstate Arius. Athanasius refused, and so Constantine banished him from his empire.

Yeah, the Church bowed to Constantine in the doctrine of GOD, but not to a single request to reinstate one man.

it makes soooooo much sense

Constantine was a supporter of Arianism. When he was finally baptized, it was by an Arian bishop. If the Church was to swing in the favor the Emperor, it would have swung to the favor of the heretic Arius.

But hey, let’s not let historical fact get in the way of belief.

You have correctly identified my bias. I like Irenaeus, but I think both Constantine and Eusebius were both corrupt.
And you may be right. I do think it is good to recognize your own bias, and I commend you for it.
Constatine was a pagan politician and a violent warmonger, not a Christian. He gave Christians their freedom to win their support. A brilliant move politically, but a disastrous move for the Church. The reason it was so terrible is that he required an orthodoxy to be put in place. Not a problem if Christianity had not already become devastatingly splintered.
You start out reasonably, then I think you give in to a very common error in that you reckon that it was Constantine who decided what orthodoxy was, and that before him the Church was a completely fragmented society of believers with little or no common belief among them. You simply give Constantine far too much credit. I am aware of no real historical evidence that anything of the sort every actually happened.
Who is to say that the “Roman Church” was the right one? Constantine, that’s who. It was Rome’s might that did away (eventually) with dissenters. And it was the first time in Christian history that Christians persecuted other Christians because of differing beliefs. What a sad day!! Constantine actually led a campaign of Christians to war against the Donatists in Africa.
I think you are making another major error here in equating Rome with the city of Old Rome. I am not confident that Constantine had any particular love for that city, and rather moved the seat of his empire far to the east to Constantinople. I have little doubt that Constantine wished to exercise his temporal power over the Church, but that he actually ever altered what the Church believed or taught is just not supported. He almost certainly wanted Christianity to be fully Roman, but that is far from making it ruled by a bishop in a city about a thousand miles from Constantine’s own city.
And what about Eusebius? He was a sycophantic follower of Constantine, his flowery biographer, and an unreliable historian to say the least. He was Constantine’s Christian propagandist, and a very effective one at that. Constantine was as much a Pagan as any previous Emperor had been, but for some reason Eusebius thought he was worthy of the highest adoration. Maybe I am being a little harsh. But as a bishop, Eusebius should have been standing up against the ways of Constantine, not propping him up.
I think your focus on Eusebius is somewhat a distraction. I personally know little about him. I did reference him above in relation to St. Linus, whom he mentions, but beyond that I am unaware of any, even remote, relevance he has to the Papacy. If he argued for any primacy I am unaware of it. I was under the impression that he was an Eastern bishop and focussed mostly on Eastern matters. Perhaps you know more about him and could mention just what he wrote that you think is an influence on any papal ideas.
I really never made the argument of whether Linus or Clement was the second Pope. I think they both were probably the most upstanding of men and will have a place with Peter in heaven. I just don’t think either one of them ever claimed or would claim to be anything like a Pope or the Presiding Official in the Church. I think that title was given posthumously.
This is likely true, at least to a point. I think we have to understand that what is present in the very early Church is just the kernel of understanding which flowered with care over time. It is there, but it is not as clearly known or understood because it didn’t need to be fully understood yet. Look at the first Council in the Acts of the Apostles. A new concern arose, and it was answered by the Apostles and the Holy Spirit. Before that moment nobody could say just how the Church would speak about the issues discussed there. But, it doesn’t diminish the authority of the teaching. And anyone looking at that text could see how the foundation of that statement is already present in the teaching of the apostles, both Peter and Paul specifically. So, the truth was already revealed in a kernel form, and more clearly and specifically was unfolded in Council.

The same is true of the papacy. Reading the ECFs it is very clear that there is a clear understanding of reverence and respect regarding certain Apostolic Sees. Foremost among these is that of Rome, due to the death of the two most respected apostles within her boundaries. We can look at Clement, who takes for granted that his office commands respect even at Corinth, or Ignatius who obviously understands some kind of Roman privilege, and of course Irenaeus who takes both even further. Are these and other Fathers speaking of a Papal dogma? No, probably not, but they do seem to reveal the presence of a Roman prerogative, and this is the kernel which later flowers. Why didn’t they know of a Papal dogma? Probably because, just as the people didn’t know exactly what to do about gentiles in the Church in Acts, they hadn’t needed to yet. They hadn’t plumbed the depths of what the Spirit had revealed to them about the earthly Church at that time. But as the world got smaller for Christians, due to the massive growth of the Church over the years, it would become necessary to begin addressing how the Church would manage her affairs, not just locally, but universally. Over the ensuing years that seed of truth in the respect and honour given to Rome would sprout and grow into a fully articulated dogma.

For that reason I doubt very seriously that St. Linus would have known anything about any definite papal authority in the Church. But, would he have doubted the importance, influence and respect due to his office as bishop of the See of Rome? I don’t think so. He would have received his very office from the blessed hands of St. Peter, who walked with our Lord and whose very shadow could heal the sick. He also reigned over a See founded not just on the teachings and blood of Peter, but also of St. Paul too. And Clement does seem to have some ideas of his office beyond his own diocese, though perhaps it is not defined very clearly in his own mind just how far or much that authority can be expected to go. But, the truth of the Papacy is there from the beginning in any case, and though it grows it does so organically as it is revealed in ever deeper and more specific ways through the teaching of Holy Mother Church, the pillar and foundation of the Truth.

I think your focus on Eusebius is somewhat a distraction. I personally know little about him. I did reference him above in relation to St. Linus, whom he mentions, but beyond that I am unaware of any, even remote, relevance he has to the Papacy. If he argued for any primacy I am unaware of it. I was under the impression that he was an Eastern bishop and focussed mostly on Eastern matters. Perhaps you know more about him and could mention just what he wrote that you think is an influence on any papal ideas.
I have noticed depending on Scriptorian’s current need to bend history: Eusebius is either a sycophantic follower of Constantine or the faithful recorder of the apostasy. I have read Eusebius’ History of the Church.

This is a transmogrification of the scriptures to fit a post-apostolic doctrine. Jesus was not teaching that marriages were nullified when people were resurrected.

In fact, I misquoted the scripture. It says that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage.” It never says “They are not married.”
Either way given that Jesus made this statement in response to the Question of whose wife the women would be it says she would be the wife of non in the resurrection and taking that on to apply to all means that non whom are married will be married in Heaven.

I only needed to list one to make my point and prove you wrong
What earthly point do you think I’m attempting to make that listing anybody who has ever been excommunicated by the church disproves?

After all, over the millenia Catholicism didn’t just excommunicate people from the church (some times in nation sized batches) it excommunicated them from mortal life–in great numbers.

Steph, with all due respect, and I’m trying to be as gentle as I can about this, but…I think you are having some difficulty following the conversations.

What earthly point do you think I’m attempting to make that listing anybody who has ever been excommunicated by the church disproves?
Actually it was I, who was making a point. Let’s review
History, Science and Reason support Catholicism. In the last 50 years they have shown Mormonism to be false; which is why historians, and scientist have been excommunicated for the Mormon Church in the last few years.
I received a well thought out, mature, and dignified Mormon response:
No, they haven’t. So there.
Now to prove my point (and prove you wrong) I need to list at least one historian and scientist who have been excommunicated for publishing the objective truth. So I did.
Grant Palmer – Historian (disfellowshiped)
Dennis Michael Quinn – Historian (excommunicated)
Simon Southerton - Molecular biologist (excommunicated)
Lavina Fielding Anderson - Scholar/writer (excommunicated)
To repeat:
My claim is Mormonism only has faith when claiming to be the true Church of Christ. No history, reason, or science. The Catholic Church has history, reason, and science on its side.

You can’t seriously be taking offense to that… 😃
I’m just surprised that someone with such a know-it-all condescending tone in almost every post would think that a major character from the Book of Acts was a woman. I have heard that Mormons did not know the Bible very well but that was surprising to me.

Where is it written that marriage must end at death?
Here’s the answer, right from Jesus own mouth. It not only answers your immediate question, it also answers the question for the Trinity as well. I think it’s pretty clear EXACTLY what Jesus said.

Matthew 22:29-33

29 And Jesus answering, said to them: You err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they shall neither marry nor be married; but shall be as the angels of God in heaven. 31 And concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read that which was spoken by God, saying to you: 32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. 33 And the multitudes hearing it, were in admiration at his doctrine.

Here’s the answer, right from Jesus own mouth. It not only answers your immediate question, it also answers the question for the Trinity as well. I think it’s pretty clear EXACTLY what Jesus said…
Yes, “neither marry nor be married.” Be married. A person will not get married in heaven, and if they are married now they will not be married once there. How can this be misunderstood? The state of marriage simply will not exist in heaven. Marriage, by the clear words of our Lord, is not eternal.

Yes, “neither marry nor be married.” Be married. A person will not get married in heaven, and if they are married now they will not be married once there. How can this be misunderstood? The state of marriage simply will not exist in heaven. Marriage, by the clear words of our Lord, is not eternal.
ABSOLUTELY!!! 😃 I think we may have more important things we’ll be doing anyway.

“I want to spend My Heaven doing good on earth.” St. Therese, of the Child Jesus, of the Holy Face

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back