A
AtDawn
Guest
Okay, so not the Scripture but the Catechism but surely apologetics. Mods, if you find this is the wrong forum category please move the thread.
The Catechism starts with a section on how to get to know God. The so called proofs for God’s existance doesn’t give me much. I fail to see proof there (and even if they did convince me, they don’t necessarily point towards the Christian Gods more than any other opinion about a god or gods).
Then comes this.
I should be enlightened about truths, of two kinds: religious and moral, both in things that I can understand, and those that really are beyond me. Well, sure there are things that I don’t understand. I just wonder why the Catechism was written in this way.
Regarding moral things, there are things in the teachers of the Catholic Church that everyone agrees on (don’t steal, don’t kill). That’s in most religions, and all the big ones. So those are in themselves not a good reason to turn to the Christian God. Then there are teachings of the Church that many people in the modern world don’t agree with. Some of them make me very much doubt that the Catholic understanding of God - if he exists - is the correct one. That is not a path for me to find God.
Then there’s personal experience, of various kinds. Knowing how we humans search for patterns and generally interpret random events and proof of some kind of system, I am very sceptical of this. Yes, I have some kind of experience that I could interpret as answer to my prayers… if I want to. But there’s so many other ways to interpret them, including wishful thinking and creating emotional experiences in my own head.
In short, I fail to logically find Christan faith credible. Still I find myself drawn to it, for reasons that I can’t explain. A wellknown atheist once said that many atheists don’t understand that religion exists because humans have an evolunary created need for religion. Hence religion is natural, but (in his opinion) not true. I kind of want him to be wrong. If you, people on this forum, can come up with something that can make me think he is, then I will be truly impressed and grateful.
The Catechism starts with a section on how to get to know God. The so called proofs for God’s existance doesn’t give me much. I fail to see proof there (and even if they did convince me, they don’t necessarily point towards the Christian Gods more than any other opinion about a god or gods).
Then comes this.
Exactly what is included in “God’s revelation” here?38. This is why man stands in need of being enlightened by God’s revelation, not only about those things that exceed his understanding, but also “about those religious and moral truths which of themselves are not beyond the grasp of human reason, so that even in the present condition of the human race, they can be known by all men with ease, with firm certainty and with no admixture of error”.
I should be enlightened about truths, of two kinds: religious and moral, both in things that I can understand, and those that really are beyond me. Well, sure there are things that I don’t understand. I just wonder why the Catechism was written in this way.
Regarding moral things, there are things in the teachers of the Catholic Church that everyone agrees on (don’t steal, don’t kill). That’s in most religions, and all the big ones. So those are in themselves not a good reason to turn to the Christian God. Then there are teachings of the Church that many people in the modern world don’t agree with. Some of them make me very much doubt that the Catholic understanding of God - if he exists - is the correct one. That is not a path for me to find God.
Then there’s personal experience, of various kinds. Knowing how we humans search for patterns and generally interpret random events and proof of some kind of system, I am very sceptical of this. Yes, I have some kind of experience that I could interpret as answer to my prayers… if I want to. But there’s so many other ways to interpret them, including wishful thinking and creating emotional experiences in my own head.
In short, I fail to logically find Christan faith credible. Still I find myself drawn to it, for reasons that I can’t explain. A wellknown atheist once said that many atheists don’t understand that religion exists because humans have an evolunary created need for religion. Hence religion is natural, but (in his opinion) not true. I kind of want him to be wrong. If you, people on this forum, can come up with something that can make me think he is, then I will be truly impressed and grateful.