D
dachsiemom2
Guest
Akron parishes are part of the Cleveland diocese. I can’t imagine Bishop Lennon condoning wearing PJs to mass.
Yes I did and I made a complaint in writing to the local Church. My complaint was not welcomed. Basically it was short and simply said that I did not think that pajamas were appropriate attire for Mass.You have seen these announcements?
Thanks for the reply.Yes I did and I made a complaint in writing to the local Church. My complaint was not welcomed. Basically it was short and simply said that I did not think that pajamas were appropriate attire for Mass.
The move from pyjamas at Mass is NOT to ‘dressing up’, although to dress up is not a bad thingi don’t fully agree with the pyjama thing, but i’m also not too big on dressing up
i get the message. an armani suit won’t change anything or hide anything if you have a sinful heart. but at the same time, a level of decency should prevail
Can you be more clear about these announcemets? What exactly did they say? Were these regular Sunday Masses or were they for special events, like for example, for a youth group or a family retreat?No. It is more than something on the radio. There have been announcements in the bulletin of the local Catholic church to that effect.
If this is true this isn’t an example of a change in Church teaching, it’s an example of a local person or group’s unusual (and possibly misguided) idea. Most people on the thread have expressed suprise and/or dismay at the idea so that shows how strange this idea is still perceived by most people several decades after Vatican II.This seems to be a rather serious change in Church teaching since Vatican II, where people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to Mass.
I think this can depend on where you live. I live in a working class parish where, for some people (like day laborers, etc.) a nice pair of jeans is their nicest pair of pants. I’ve also lived in rural places where men’s nice clothes were nice jeans, nice cowboy boots and nice button shirts.I can’t disagree more.
I don’t understand why anyone would deliberately wear more informal attire – not to mention denim, which is associated with both manual labor and the ultra-casual – to Mass. To me, the statement is: Mass is less important than work, and no more important than recreation.
What do you have against Armani?one can easily make the case that by “proper wedding garment”, Jesus was not talking about clothes but dressing our hearts and souls properly to receive Him
as i mentioned in my post earlier, there’s nothing an Armani suit can do about a sinful heart
Why worry about presumption, when so many people despair? Obviously, that one extreme is improper does not imply that the other extreme is therefore OK.Why should there be worry over pajama’s when in 1 Tim 2:9 it is clear no one should be wearing gold or pearls. That about wipes out everyone in the parish I go to. I feel like asking the priest I talk to about this to see what he will say. How can anyone get upset about PJ’s when it could be that most people are in danger of violating this scripture? I never saw a scripture about PJ’s but, if it is there it would be surpising since Jesus healed a young girl in her bed, and I imagine she had PJ’s on.![]()
my point there was a really nice and really expensive suit won’t change the fact that a person is an adulterer or a thief or a corrupt government official or whatever other sinnerWhat do you have against Armani?![]()
lol, i agree. i find more womanizers in the working class than those with high paying jobs. i guess more time to do those stuff than the ones who make a lot of money but are burried in their workThat reminds me of the guys who complain about not being able to find a nice woman to date. ‘I don’t make $100,000 a year, so they don’t want me’. So what about all the guys who are working class, with working class jobs and working class incomes who have women all over the place?![]()
agreedSo, to keep tossing Armani in the pile is an extreme example (I’m sure you were going for extreme, but it was repeated)
If the focus of your participation in the Mass is on the Eucharist, your wearing an Armani suit won’t take that away. But if your Armani suit is a distraction to those around you because it draws attention for others from the Mass, and probably you, too, then we have a problem.![]()
what i was saying was, i get that the pyjamas thing is meant to say, “it doesn’t matter what you wear as long as you’re heart is clean and ready to receive Jesus”The move from pyjamas at Mass is NOT to ‘dressing up’, although to dress up is not a bad thing![]()
totally agree with this one. a level of decency should be followed, not too much, not too littleWhat is a problem (for me) is those whose reason for going to church on Sunday is not to honor the Lord, but to show off their outfits and to be seen.
I don’t think that it’s bad to wear nice, ‘presentable’ clothing to Mass. I’m all for the ‘Come as you are’, and ‘You don’t have to have special clothes to go to Mass’, but I don’t think that means that people should look like they interrupted their softball game to come to Mass. Nor should they look like they are coming from a Night Club. There is a time and a place for everything.
why let what a nun did influence your belief in God?Those who say, ‘Oh, but that person… that may be all they have’. I am certain that the speaker is trying to be charitable, but the person wearing the questionable garments seldom defend their choices… heck, they seldom consider their choices. "Don’t say anything; you might offend them’.
I try to think, ‘If the Queen of England were at the church, would I be ok in what I’m wearing?’. I’m not British. I’m an American, so royalty means next to nothing to me. Still, I would not wear a garment to church and have to wonder if I’m covered, if I am neat (please wear CLEAN clothes). Of if I have some political statement that is vulgar.
When I’m at home, or just away from church, there are a lot of things I would wear that would NOT be on me when I am coming into a church.
Sadly, years ago, I stopped coming to Mass when a nun was at Easter Sunday Mass wearing a pant suit. Today, that would not even register in my mental monitor, but at the time I was so offended that I didn’t come to Mass, or receive the sacraments. I can only police myself.
When I visit the church of my Protestant friends and relatives, I take the same things into consideration. I wouldn’t wear it at home, I won’t wear it when I visit you.![]()
Because I was a child, who thought as a child.why let what a nun did influence your belief in God?
Thank you. Conservatism(at least that of the educated), at its core, is a distrust of mankind.I would say a pertinent quote.
Ooh, ooh, ooh! You would get some “Sunday go to meetin’ pajamas!”My pajamas are my skivies. How would that work?![]()
Again, I am not talking about rural locations. Did you read my post completely? (That was a No.)I think this can depend on where you live. I live in a working class parish where, for some people (like day laborers, etc.) a nice pair of jeans is their nicest pair of pants. I’ve also lived in rural places where men’s nice clothes were nice jeans, nice cowboy boots and nice button shirts.
Yeah… what she said!No, these people are not without a wardrobe. The statement is, “I’m dressing down.” The statement is, “It’s the weekend, so I get to relax; these are my relaxing clothes.” And I don’t buy that it’s a matter of inappropriate judgment. If the behavior were reverent and respectful, I would be less interested in the attire. In fact, at a different parish I sometimes attend, there’s a late-night Mass for students. Guess what their attire is? Mostly jeans, with some wearing pants, skirts, but with 100% of the attendees very reverent, quiet, attentive, prayerful. No one considers much what the attire is, because all of us are concentrating on the meaningful silence. And truly many college students have not much of a wardrobe.
The point is that the casual behavior and the casual dress, both, at Mass, in the suburban parish I described, are complementary. One reflects the other. I think it’s a huge statement that no effort is made to change out of jeans for a lousy hour on a Sunday just because you feel entitled to relax for the rest of the weekend.
Do you think the sarcasm was really appropriate (and clever)? If anything sarcasm can turn people off from what you’re trying to say.“Did you read my post completely? (That was a No.)”
attire and I gave a couple of reasons: 1. the environment where you live, and 2. the loss of the association of denim with manual labor. The second reason could easily apply to that suburban parish since you mentioned most of the parishioners have jobs that require at least “business casual”. Nowadays in many places that allows jeans. That’s why I suggested doing a search for “dressy jeans” and pointed out this blog as an example.I don’t understand why anyone would deliberately wear more informal
. The parishioners have enough of a wardrobe to dress for work in actual offices, where jeans – despite how popular and “fashionable” and “everyday” they have become, are most assuredly not acceptable as office attire.”“This is a suburb
but you did not acknowledge that. I’m not saying people should wear jeans to Mass and ironically my ideas about clothing might even be closer to yours than you realize but your manner of addressing me has pushed me into playing devil’s advocate.I think a lot of us could make a little bit of effort to improve our appearance at Mass
So, is your issue with the suburban parishioners their behavior or their manner of dress? Why does the wearing of jeans seem to affect the suburbanites but not the students?No, these people are not without a wardrobe. The statement is, “I’m dressing down.” The statement is, “It’s the weekend, so I get to relax; these are my relaxing clothes.” And I don’t buy that it’s a matter of inappropriate judgment. If the behavior were reverent and respectful, I would be less interested in the attire. In fact, at a different parish I sometimes attend, there’s a late-night Mass for students. Guess what their attire is? Mostly jeans, with some wearing pants, skirts, but with 100% of the attendees very reverent, quiet, attentive, prayerful. No one considers much what the attire is, because all of us are concentrating on the meaningful silence. And truly many college students have not much of a wardrobe.
Fair question. Again, when one complements or mirrors the other, both are separately issues, actually. When the behavior is quite a contrast to the dress (whether it’s bad behavior in dressy clothes, or vice-versa), then the behavior I think should be the focus. Tonight at Mass there were various sorts of dress. Most people came from home (it was after dinner), and so were wearing typically “church clothes” (while not fancy), but many of us were coming from work. That meant I happened to be wearing a suit, while some were dressed “informally” and still others had their hospital scrubs on. For the most part, people were reverent. The thing that bothered me the most was not anyone’s clothing at all (I was too focused on the Mass as a whole experience), but I couldn’t help noticing, since I was up front, one child about 9 years old, who when receiving communion, threw the host up in the air and caught it playfully in her mouth, with a big grin, as if it was popcorn. I thought that was pretty bad.So, is your issue with the suburban parishioners their behavior or their manner of dress?
Another good question, to which I might have an answer: the students are very serious about this Mass. It does not attract anyone who wants a rapid in-n-out experience. They’re not attending out of “obligation,” but as a choice; thus, their attitude reflects that. There’s no grudging, “Gee, it’s my day off; why should I ‘have’ to go to Mass? To demonstrate my passive aggression, I’ll dress sloppily to indicate that I deserve actually to be doing something else.”Why does the wearing of jeans seem to affect the suburbanites but not the students?
This seems pretty vague to me and it doesn’t really explicitly rule out a lot of things.This is from the USCCB:
November 14, 2006
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
“Happy Are Those Who Are Called to His Supper:
On Preparing to Receive Christ Worthily in the Eucharist”
“ Appropriate attire
We should also come to the sacred liturgy appropriately dressed. As Christians we should dress in a modest manner, wearing clothes that reflect our reverence for God and that manifest our respect for the dignity of the liturgy and for one another.”