J
JaneFrances
Guest
Originally Posted by myfavoritmartin
.Originally Posted by JaneFrances
Our brokenness tells us to doubt anyone or anything that would attempt to assert power over us, especially when it is so counter-intuitive.
My brokeness was what Christ used to build me as a; temple an indwelling for the Holy Spirit
I am not so familiar with your theology as to fully understand this statement, but I believe Christ uses His grace, in spite of my brokenness, to draw me to Himself that I may become an acceptable offering, sanctified by the Holy Spirit (Rom 15:16). I do know, however, that even as the Spirit dwells within me, calling me to constant conversion, I, like St. Paul, find myself “not do[ing] what I want to do but what I hate (Rom 7:15). And so, I continually seek opportunities to abandon my own will and seek Him where he is.
This is the Christian call. This is our struggle as humans in this world. And our loving and benevolent Shepherd has bestowed upon us His ministers, his chosen shepherds, that we may, as St. Peter instructs, “bow humbly under God’s might hand” through our obedience to those he places in positions of authority over us (1 Peter 5:5-6).
I’d say yes Christ has power enough to guide his churchOriginally Posted by JaneFrances
However, yes, I trust that Christ has power enough to guide His Church, under the successors of St. Peter,.
with or without the authority assumed under the speculative successors of Peter
Interesting opinion, Simon. However, Christ chose to guide his church “with” Peter. Christ chose to give Peter the keys to His kingdom. Christ told Peter that he would build his church on him. And we have Scriptural and historical witness indicating the succession of Apostolic authority.
Strong and pointed is overstating Ignatius to qualify your stand.Originally Posted by JaneFrances
Do not misunderstand me, Simon. I never have said nor implied that Ignatius alone is sufficient to “hang my hat.” Instead, I provided his strong and pointed witness as proof to satisfy your arbitrary pre-200 A.D. qualification. ,.
You think so? Let’s read his words again. . .
“to the Church which also hold the presidency in the place of the country of the Romans.”
All you asked for was some sort of proof that would indicate Rome held a place of authority prior to 200 A.D. I did that.
My stand, based on this quotation, is that Ignatius recognized Rome alone as holding any sort of presidency among the Churches. I think Ignatius’ words are clear, strong, and pointed. You may disagree, but you also disagreed that he ever meant “presidency” and then, when proven wrong, that he just meant Rome as president of Rome.
What does this say for sacred tradition?Originally Posted by JaneFrances
To be sure, no one ECF is sufficient on his own. .
I have no idea what you mean.
,.Originally Posted by JaneFrances
This is particularly why the writings of the Early Church Fathers serve as brushstrokes within the canvas of Catholic theology and Catechetical teaching.
Brushstokes are one thing; coloring outside the lines are another.
Okay? That sounds nice. Not terribly substantive, but it sure does sound good! Care to ellaborate?