P
PetraG
Guest
If you are saying that parents ought to run their homes with the same duty to protect the life of virtue of all living there as an abbot or abbess of a monastery has, you won’t find an argument from me. Abbots generally stick with exerting authority over their own monasteries, though. Pastors exert authority within their own parishes and bishops within their own dioceses. Those with the jurisdiction to correct them in specific cases are relatively few. As for the rest of us, we sort of need to stick with correcting those who ask for an opinion or with whom we have a relationship of mutual correction. Some extended families have that as the accepted rule, but others don’t and still others aren’t even on speaking terms because they never agreed on where that kind of boundary was.I will take the last two sentences first. A leader must be an exemplary example, not almost good enough. Sure, no one is perfect. Of the leaders I’ve seen, I know they had to work at it, to be open to appropriate and responsible criticism. Growing up, I was taught to be the best I could be. By what standard? Church teaching which I got at school and at home, and by the day to day example of most of the adults around me. Yes, there were a few bad apples. I did not bother them and I was not encouraged to bother them.