E
Episcopalian
Guest
Has the pride event completely swung the other way than it’s initial goal, becoming overly inappropriate and (depending on dress code enforcement not family friendly). Absolutely!This month is the so-called ‘Pride Month’, where homosexuality is ‘celebrated’. This is in complete contradiction to Church teaching.
However after generations of having people overtly or subtly ostracized it’s only natural that they’d want a little space and freedom to celebrate being who they are.
Imagine every time you attended Mass, you had to fear the police busting in the door and arresting you, your friends, your priest, etc.
Sure, gay sex is inappropriate per Church canon, and I myself think that some of the pride parades should be a bit more solemn and reflective…but can you blame a community for going bananas after finally getting that freedom to kiss in public, hold hands, be represented in Hollywood, etc.?
Anyway, I don’t think the message that Pride is attempting to give is contrary to Church teaching, but I do think those that hypersexualize it are out of line.
I, for one, will be wearing normal clothes, (except adding a nice rainbow scarf) at the pride festival, eating some hamburgers and funnel cake while there, and watching a mini documentary on Stonewall.