B
BornCatholic7
Guest
This seems to be heard of more and more, and now I am experiencing the samething in our parish. Does anyone know of where I can find the UCCB guidelines of parents rights to teach sacraments? Thank you-
The USCCB does not govern such decisions.This seems to be heard of more and more, and now I am experiencing the samething in our parish. Does anyone know of where I can find the UCCB guidelines of parents rights to teach sacraments? Thank you-
Out of Couriosity, Why?This seems to be heard of more and more, and now I am experiencing the samething in our parish. Does anyone know of where I can find the UCCB guidelines of parents rights to teach sacraments? Thank you-
Most dioceses such as mine, don’t want parents and parents alone preparing their children for sacraments such as First Communion and Confirmation. This is a big controversy in my church right now and since I am the Assistant Coordinator of Parish School of Religion I find myself tackling this controversy more and more.This seems to be heard of more and more, and now I am experiencing the samething in our parish. Does anyone know of where I can find the UCCB guidelines of parents rights to teach sacraments? Thank you-
What aspects are those?Out of Couriosity, Why?
I was director of Confirmation for five years. **There are aspects of the formation that need to be done in a class. **
I can understand home schooling for regular eduation, I have never understood the reason for faith formation at home unless there is an impedimate to get the child to the class…
Peace,
FAB
Very Christian view. NOT!! Even though the Domestic Church is the start and basis of Christian Education, we are a community that comes to worship and pray together. Despite the problems in the system, how do you teach community, service to other, proclamation of the word, the basis of baptism: priest, prophet and servant king by keeping them home because thay might get some error. THe biggest error is what is being taught my not letting them be part of the parish faith formation program.What aspects are those?
Parents are the ones with the primary duty to educate their children. There is no moral law on how that education takes place. Whether at home or at a school. There are multiple good reasons for home schooling faith formation. Everything from untrustworthy catechists or other students in the class to the class schedule does not work well for the family. Of course parents should know the faith in order to impart it. My experience is that I have had to be vigilant over what my kids learned in CCD and correct many errors in the faith. I would absolutely homeschool religion again. On the other side of the coin when I did teach CCD my experience was that my children were among the very few who seemed to be going to Mass and learning the faith at home. Our system is seriously messed up and we need good and faithful priests to fix it.
Here’s an article by Father Hardon
therealpresence.org/archives/Education/Education_015.htm
I totally agree with you Joandarc2008. It is best that parents are not present so that the children or teens may ask questions that they would not normally ask in the presence of their parents.Personally I think it is a good idea. This is the last chance these young adults have to ask those tough questions before confirming about their Faith. Personally in Junior High School or even in High School I would not have been comfortable discussing issues like euthanasia or birth control or modesty in a class with my parents in it. I would have been more comfortable with a priest, nun, or stranger. It’s the age group. It is supposed to be a meaningful experience that each person Chooses and is not pushed into. The looming presence of an adult figure could take that away and keep them quiet about questions they may have.
Other than his point that parents have duty to be fully catichised and are the first teachers of the faith, [edited]! Besides most of this commentary is about the public school structure, not a parish’s Faith Formation Program.
pot…kettle…Very Christian view. NOT!!
I don’t know about your religious ed teachers, but ours are all parent volunteers with weak materials. There are no sisters or priests teaching. Also, there are serious behavior issues during classes. Our kids are in the Catholic school so it isn’t an issue right now (very knowledgeable and faithful teachers) but if they do go to a public high school I’m looking at a very weak religious ed program.<<As another poster asked, what aspects do you think parents are incapable of preparing their children for?>>
I have seen devout, life-long Catholic adults on here say the following things (among others):
ALL of these propositions are false.
- That the Priest washes his hands with holy water at the Lavabo.
- That in the older rite of Ordination, the priest’s fingers were anointed to he could touch the Blessed Sacrament.
- That the Sacrarium empties into consecrated earth.
- That a priest in sin cannot celebrate a valid Mass or give true absolution.
Now, at least the first three might be minor issues.
But my point is there is no guarantee that the parents always know what they are talking about and hence might well convey misinformation when they try to prepare their own children for the Sacraments.
There have been others who have been taught by Sisters or priests (they claim) who have been taught things that are clearly wrong. Obviously, they misunderstood their instructors.
Of course, any instructor in any subject is only as good as his own formation, store of knowledge, and ability to get it across to the students.