Passage from catechism of trent

• Thread starter Thread starter angell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A doctor, an attorney, or a man of “good family name” is not going to marry the Wal-mart check out clerk or the local hairdresser.
Oh? There are so many good and decent women working as checkout clerks who would make beautiful and wonderful wives and mothers to their children. I don’t see why attorneys would have to be so choosy as to rule out having a decent woman who works as a checkout clerk as his wife. Some attorneys are no great prize as husbands or fathers but end up as a total and complete disgrace to their families. For proof, just read the book Disloyal by Michael Cohen to see how corrupt and dishonest some attorneys are. Michael Cohen, being a personal attorney to President Trump was one of the top lawyers in the USA, but was sentenced to prison as were so many other attorneys. Whereas OTOH, there are so many checkout clerks leading humble and honest lives and are good examples of human decency.

Last edited:
No, it is an insult to those who say motherhood is all women can aspire to.

Last edited:
That is not what people in hell for being Anathema claim.

Please post Anathemas of the Council of Trent you believe are not binding today.
A Catholic in Good Standing knows we know of no ones salvation. Thus, my statement earlier hold true, the Catechism is not “Infallible”.

find out what they talk about? What their common interests are?
They talk about their family life, their children, their church activities and recreation activities when the family goes on vacations. I don’t see why anyone would despise them for doing so? There are so many good and decent women who are working as checkout clerks because this was the only job they could find to support themselves. They are honest, hardworking people who deserve our respect and admiration for the difficult job they are doing as I witness a few shoppers treating them in a dismissive and discourteous manner.

Then why give women with the vocation of marriage skills which are only used fully in the workplace?

Then why give women with the vocation of marriage skills which are only used fully in the workplace?
If I am understanding your question, my answer is still, there are times in a woman’s life when she can pursue a career and times when she needs to focus her priority on her family. Even if she has certain skills they do not necessarily have to be used all the time.

Last edited:
Please don’t mistake my earlier comments as implying those working such jobs or lacking post high school education should be treated with any less respect as we’d treat our physician, accountant, realtor, attorney, or child’s teacher.
OK. I’m glad you clarified that.
find out what they talk about?
You know, it is not always easy for two professional people from different professions to have a conversation about their professional knowledge and expertise in their area of interest. For example, a wife who is a physicist might have difficulty talking about string theory on Calabi Yau manifolds to her husband who is an attorney for Mafia Boss Lorenzo Mannino.

I agree with those posters that said that the spirit of the passage, while being applied to certain times and circumstances, is warning against the neglect of one’s duties, especially motherly. Here are some modern sources:

Pius XI, Quadragesimo Anno
Mothers, concentrating on household duties, should work primarily in the home or in its immediate vicinity. It is an intolerable abuse, and to be abolished at all cost, for mothers on account of the father’s low wage to be forced to engage in gainful occupations outside the home to the neglect of their proper cares and duties, especially the training of children.
Vatican II, Gaudium et Spes:
The children, especially the younger among them, need the care of their mother at home. This domestic role of hers must be safely preserved, though the legitimate social progress of women should not be underrated on that account.
St. John Paul II, Laborem Exercens
It will redound to the credit of society to make it possible for a mother-without inhibiting her freedom, without psychological or practical discrimination, and without penalizing her as compared with other women-to devote herself to taking care of her children and educating them in accordance with their needs, which vary with age. Having to abandon these tasks in order to take up paid work outside the home is wrong from the point of view of the good of society and of the family when it contradicts or hinders these primary goals of the mission of a mother26.
Just to reiterate, as the Popes above note, it is considered a societal abuse when a mother must take up work outside the home, not a fault in the mother who must do so. Working mothers can still fulfill their duties in various ways when the circumstances require her to work away from home. Obviously it’s a different story when it is done for selfish reasons to the neglect of her proper duties.

Last edited:
40.png
c4csp:
There are plenty of good men but women will not consider many men based on their status. People can deny that all they want but it is true.
Before it was common for middle and even lower middle class women to have a post-high school education, there were still women complaining that there were no good men based on their status. However, it generally worked in reverese- a man of good family might argue there were no suitable women for marriage, because they were beneath his social station. We’ve swapped out “old money vs nouvou rich” or “good family vs unknown family” for college education, it appears. This is nothing new. For either genders. A doctor, an attorney, or a man of “good family name” is not going to marry the Wal-mart check out clerk or the local hairdresser. Just like he wouldn’t have 70 years ago. The woman of good family 70 years ago, would have caused a scandal and a half by not marrying that Harvard or even State U hero and instead choosing the dockworker.
In my opinion you guys are awfully free with generalizations. I take it you are not familiar with the concepts of “falling in love” or “love is blind.”

In my opinion you guys are awfully free with generalizations. I take it you are not familiar with the concepts of “falling in love” or “love is blind.”
People past teenage years usually don’t just blindly “fall in love”. They seek out a partner who they can build a life with. The type of life they want to build will affect the type of partner they seek. They also will likely need to have some things in common - at the very least, a shared view of the life they want to build.

This is especially true nowadays when people tend to have some kind of unmarried relationship for months or years before they get married, if they ever do get married. In past eras, initial attraction likely drove a lot of couples to get married more quickly because society frowned on premarital intimacy.

Last edited:
40.png
felsguy:
People past teenage years usually don’t just blindly “fall in love”. They seek out a partner who they can build a life with. The type of life they want to build will affect the type of partner they seek. They also will likely need to have some things in common - at the very least, a shared view of the life they want to build.

This is especially true nowadays when people tend to have some kind of unmarried relationship for months or years before they get married, if they ever do get married. In past eras, initial attraction likely drove a lot of couples to get married more quickly because society frowned on premarital intimacy.
I don’t disagree with that. My “flip” comment was meant to disagree with the opinion that a prospective spouse’s wealth, earnings, occupation or social status is as important or as common a factor as opined by the posters to whom I replied. Plus I think it was pretty unkind putdown of Walmart clerks and hairdresser of either gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back