Patricia Heaton on leaving Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter JamesCollins
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when we make a Perfect Act of Contrition, we are still obligated to go to Confession as soon as possible to receive Absolution. It doesn’t replace Confession. God Bless, Memaw
Yes, I know. I was simply stating that you should make a Perfect Act of Contrition so if you die on your way to confession you can be saved. It was a reply to her argument.

God Bless
 
If you mean a grave matter, committed with full knowledge that the CC teaches the matter is a mortal sin, and is committed deliberately, yes I know. So I don’t need to read that. I just have some difficulty wrapping my head around that if the person one time missed under such conditions but every Sunday including that one they righteously served the Lord by visiting the sick or feeding the hungry, that there wouldn’t be some mercy for the person hit by the bus.
We do not know the depths of God’s mercy, true.
But we do know that if you give a person an inch,. they will miss Mass for years at a time.
God can decide which rules to bend if He so desires. We cannot.
 
This

She’s a victim of poor catechesis, pray for her and all the ones who have fallen away or left because of that. Pray for the ones trying to enter or re-enter, their journey is made more difficult by those casting stones.
I don’t think anyone is or has cast stones.
Try forgiveness. It works wonders.
 
she’s misunderstanding the teaching and taking a literalistic interpretation. The Church does not teach that God will punish someone who died on their way to Confession. This is because God knows you were heading there and knows what you would have confessed if you would have made it. It’s also why we need to be making Perfect Acts of Contrition when we have sin.

She (like most protestants and even some Catholics) misunderstands why Christ instituted Confession.
Patricia Heaton’s words remind me of what Bishop Fulton Sheen said: “there are not many people who hate the Catholic Church. But there are many people who hate what they think the Catholic church is” or words to that effect. She clearly does not understand the teaching very well - and it might not be all her fault either. I have heard people make it seem like a complete black and white matter - and focus on God’s vengeance as He is a bean counter waiting for us to fall so he can send us to hell. We need to focus on God’s mercy, while admitting that it IS possible to lose one’s salvation by sinning (or jeopardizing one’s salvation). I wonder if Ms. Heaton understands the 3 conditions for a sin to be mortal? I wonder if she was catechized? Probably not which is so sad that she is now speaking out about Catholicism based on ignorance.

Ishii
 
Patricia Heaton’s words remind me of what Bishop Fulton Sheen said: “there are not many people who hate the Catholic Church. But there are many people who hate what they think the Catholic church is” or words to that effect. She clearly does not understand the teaching very well - and it might not be all her fault either. I have heard people make it seem like a complete black and white matter - and focus on God’s vengeance as He is a bean counter waiting for us to fall so he can send us to hell. We need to focus on God’s mercy, while admitting that it IS possible to lose one’s salvation by sinning (or jeopardizing one’s salvation). I wonder if Ms. Heaton understands the 3 conditions for a sin to be mortal? I wonder if she was catechized? Probably not which is so sad that she is now speaking out about Catholicism based on ignorance.

Ishii
Wow, I was thinking of this same quote. I was trying to remember who had said it, I thought it was Fr. Barron. LOL. Thanks for posting.
 
Firstly, as a Catholic / Christian, shouldn’t it be our duty to try and remain pure in heart and soul? Secondly, i am sure that God is all forgiving and full of mercy. God knows our hearts. He can read us like a book!
Yes, God is merciful and forgiving, but we do have to be sorry for our sins before we can be forgiven. HE doesn’t force HIS forgiveness on us. God Bless, Memaw
 
Secondly, i am sure that God is all forgiving and full of mercy. God knows our hearts. He can read us like a book!
We can’t - and should never - presume to know what God thinks. When we use phrases like “Oh, I don’t think God would punish you for doing that” what we are really saying is “If I were God Iwould not punish you for doing that.”

God is merciful, but we shouldn’t His mercy for granted.
 
You understand correctly. I remember her speaking about SS marriages when her
brother “came out”. She was vocal about her disagreement with the Catholic Church on
the matter. I
If my brother was a thief, would I leave the Church because it says we can’t steal?? I would pray the more for my brother and hope he repents. God Bess, Memaw
 
It seems like Patricia has either drank the secular view of the RCC and this ever so popular “going to hell” meme, this “fire & brimstone” that those not familiar with the faith often use in order to pool the rug of tolerance underneath it; or she has misunderstood the teachings due to poor catechism or a lack of serious reflection and solitude.

Patricia, it is hard - being the best Catholic one can be, but being a person more of the secular world and being a working actress leads one to view the RCC and its teachings as “not of this world.” That’s true, but don’t go saying the RCC is too strict that there’s no way of being that “best Catholic one can be.” You’ve grown lazy; maybe it’s the movie & tv industry? After all, it’s probably the one industry, besides fashion, that really is about “ME!”

In saying that, at least she’s not a typical actress when it comes to certain political issues.
 
I wonder if she suffered with scruples. Maybe not, she might have gone ahead and said so if that was it. I had a friend that seemed to really know his stuff, but when he left the Church, I just couldn’t make sense of it. He said he lived in fear of dying at the wrong time.
 
Do those who decide to walk away from their Catholic faith,really think that the parts of the faith they have issues with,cease to be true ,just because they have rejected them.Are they now off the hook?..I don’t think so!
 
I wonder if she suffered with scruples. Maybe not, she might have gone ahead and said so if that was it. I had a friend that seemed to really know his stuff, but when he left the Church, I just couldn’t make sense of it. He said he lived in fear of dying at the wrong time.
Just because he left the Church does that mean he won’t die “at the wrong time???” I’d be more afraid of dying then. No Sacraments. God Bless, Memaw
 
Bless her instructors…ask they be forgiven for not clearly explaining sin or its consequences.
What is wrong with how she explained sin and its consequences? The quote in the first post isn’t wrong. The CC teaches that mortal sin separates you from sanctifying grace. If you die without going to confession you will go to hell. That is the teaching.

If that isn’t what they want to portray, then they should change the words they use and the way they express it.
 
That’s one thing that has always puzzled me. Is how any cradle Catholic can walk away from the True Church and go to another church…I’d miss my Mama Mary and Little Therese soooooooooo much, my head would explode! 😊 😛

Peace, Mark
 
The “hit by a bus” scenario still applies.
And it is an absolutely horrible way to go through life. It is so easy to fall into mortal sin in this age, far easier than in times past especially with the proliferation of porn on the internet. The question always becomes will I die before I can make it to confession on saturday.
 
Also by the way Christ never taught that if you can not get to the Church to confess your sins you cannot be forgiven for you sins. No one knows the extent of the great Mercy of God.

But I wish I could ask her or anyone in this world who believe in God and his good grace, why would anyone CHOOSE to remain in a state of mortal sin, and knowingly remain separating themselves from God when the bus passes them by and they can make it to the Church for confession?
Take porn for example. It is probably the most addictive thing on the planet, and enslaves way, way, way more people than are willing to admit. If choosing your way out of an addiction worked there would be no need for 12 step programs like AA. You can go to confession, and make a sincere confession, but if you are truly addicted you’ll fall over, and over again. The addiction can begin before you are aware of Church teaching. Unfortunately the Church as a whole has chosen to leave this as a silent epidemic with no resources for dealing with it at the root other than confession which in my experience is not enough by itself to overcome an addiction that pales heroin, and cigarettes combined in it’s difficulty to over come. I know, I’ve conquered cigarettes, and drugs.
 
Take porn for example. It is probably the most addictive thing on the planet, and enslaves way, way, way more people than are willing to admit. If choosing your way out of an addiction worked there would be no need for 12 step programs like AA. You can go to confession, and make a sincere confession, but if you are truly addicted you’ll fall over, and over again. The addiction can begin before you are aware of Church teaching. Unfortunately the Church as a whole has chosen to leave this as a silent epidemic with no resources for dealing with it at the root other than confession which in my experience is not enough by itself to overcome an addiction that pales heroin, and cigarettes combined in it’s difficulty to over come. I know, I’ve conquered cigarettes, and drugs.
Are you aware that AA was founded by a Catholic and is based on Catholic teachings. Not sure what its like today but it started out that way. I also also quit smoking, cold turkey, as they say, with the help of God. HE can and does help us if we only use the graces HE gives us. Confession is a powerful; source of God’s Grace if we let it work in our souls. That’s why Christ gave us the Sacraments, but we have to use them prayerfully and properly. The Church has not left this as a ‘silent epidemic’ . Read the lives of the Saints and you’ll see what God’s Grace can do for us. God Bless, Memaw
 
Yes, I know. I was simply stating that you should make a Perfect Act of Contrition so if you die on your way to confession you can be saved. It was a reply to her argument.

God Bless
And people talk about the whole hit by a bus argument. I’ve heard it speculated by priests that if you wanted to go to confession in the future then it is speculated that God would take that into account. It’s not a simple black white “oh sorry john I know you wanted to go to confession on Saturday but you looked at porn today and i don’t care that you go to weekly confession. You’re out of the state of grace. You lose” I think people forget that God does have mercy and that if we are sincerely trying He will take this into account. I’m not saying we should try to sin but someone mentioned the addicting affects of porn or alcohol. Is it fair to deny them salvation if they sincerely tried to get out but their mind and body weren’t strong enough to do it? I’m not saying it means all addicts go to heaven but I see addiction as living with a permanent injury. It damages you and in a sense you can’t really have full control of your faculties in some cases.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top