V
Vico
Guest
Yes. In response to “So why use relation, which is an accident, to talk about distinction in the Godhead.” I was trying to avoid using accidents, in keeping with what St. Thomas wrote that this idea of relation as an accident was an error.Vico you are doing a great job trying to explain it and you are spot on when it comes to relations.
One of the things I think you are missing is the discussion of accidents and how relation is not your typical accident.
An accident is simple, it is something that is added on to the substance. So when I say water is clear, the substance water has the accident clear added on to it. Clearness is not a part of the substance water rather it is added on to it. Ice many times isn’t clear and is foggy but that is still the substance of water.
The problem is God can have no accidents in him, that would destroy his simplicity.
So why use relation, which is an accident, to talk about distinction in the Godhead. Well it is pretty simple. Relation actually doesn’t add anything on to the substance, rather it only talks about how the thing is in relation to something else. For example, James is sitting next to Joe. In this sentence next to is the accident of relation. Next to doesn’t add anything onto james or joe’s substance. them being next to each other has no impact on their substance.
Now we apply this to the divine God head. We know from scripture that God is a trinity of persons. Father Son and Holy Spirit. Relation can show us how we can have distinction without destroying the simplicity. The Father is related to the Son as being a father, only he is the father. The Son is related to the Father by b wing a son, only he is the son. The Spirit is related to the Father and Son by being the spirit that passes in-between both persons. Each person of the trinity because of relation has something that makes them different from one another. What allows it to keep the simplicity is that relation doesn’t add anything on to the substance.
I hope you understand
Summa theologiae Part I, Q28, Art. 2:I answer that, it is reported that Gilbert de la Porree erred on this point, but revoked his error later at the council of Rheims. For he said that the divine relations are assistant, or externally affixed. … whereas, if relation is considered as an accident, it inheres in a subject, and has an accidental existence in it. Gilbert de la Porree considered relation in the former mode only.
Summa theologiae Part I, Q28, Art. 1:I answer that, relations exist in God really; in proof whereof we may consider that in relations alone is found something which is only in the apprehension and not in reality. This is not found in any other genus; forasmuch as other genera, as quantity and quality, in their strict and proper meaning, signify something inherent in a subject. But relation in its own proper meaning signifies only what refers to another. …
Summa theologiae Part I, Q28, Art. 2 - Reply to Objection 2.:For it was above explained (13, 2), in treating of the divine names, that more is contained in the perfection of the divine essence than can be signified by any name. Therefore it does not follow that there exists in God anything besides relation in reality; but only in the various names imposed by us.