Police declare riot at Seattle protests, make arrests

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theo520
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s about time! As soon as those protests cease being peaceful and demonstrators start assaulting officers, setting fires, etc., it’s time to move in and restore order.
 
In 1965, three years before his assassination, I had the privilege of hearing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr speak; a brilliant, generous, courageous man, who led his followers in non-violent protests for civil rights. I remember the camaraderie and the electricity in the air during one of the marches in New York. If Dr. King were alive today, he would be the first to lead us in non-violent civil disobedience and to march for change, but his followers would not be defacing buildings, breaking windows, or destroying property and people’s livelihoods. We need to stop throwing tantrums like toddlers. That is not how free citizens of a republic should behave.

Dr. King is watching.
 
I never approved of violent demonstrations, not back in the '60s and not now. But it is up to the Seattle police to make arrests and restore the peace, and not federal troops sent by the WH.
 
Martin Luther King received a lot of the same criticism that the protestors do today. His marches were costly and destructive. MLK was also not necessarily as dismissive of riots as people make him out to be. He famously called them the “language of the unheard” and also said:

“…as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again.”

I’m not sure he would necessarily dismiss them out of hand like a lot of people utilise him in order to do so today.
 
Wondering if this one is also a “Mom approved” protest/riot?
I do not think there were any of the Mom protests here. Is there a reason you think there were?

That was in Portland. This is Seattle. I am sure most people know these are in separate states. As stated above, this is the proper authorities conducting these arrests. The Mom protests were against federal agents from a mishmash of agencies conducting police type of work in a municipality. It is a different situation. We need to get past “they all look alike to me.”
 
Last edited:
“…as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again.”

I’m not sure he would necessarily dismiss them out of hand like a lot of people utilise him in order to do so today.
That quote has come up constantly. One cannot use it as some sort of support from MLK for violence. He was completely opposed to violence and a strong follower of Ghandi’s method of protest. Once he remarked as to the reasons for violence erupting, so he did not dismiss it, as he did not dismiss the police response to violence.

edit - I had said at least Seattle reacted quickly this time, and I guess they did for a West Coast city, but then I read that they initially had no officers near the protest. That is why they lost control.
 
Last edited:
I’m not saying he would support violence, but he certainly wouldn’t dismiss these protests like the people that invoke him are doing.
 
I’m not saying he would support violence, but he certainly wouldn’t dismiss these protests like the people that invoke him are doing.
You are talking about two separate issues in on sentence. I refuse to believe that Americans cannot conduct protests without violence. MLK had zero tolerance for violence in his protests. He did not conflate the two issues. Refusing to accept violence, even taking a hard line against rioters, does not in the least dismiss protests.

What happened in Seattle was not just a protest. It was a crime, a felony, destruction of property. One can accept the protest while wanting the perpetrators thrown into prison, then made to pay every last penny back. That would be an honor to those who protest for change, while at the same time not becoming worse than those they protest against.
 
Last edited:
The riots in Seattle and Portland in particular have nothing to do with race. It’s almost all white people. They’re just piggybacking on the current climate to justify their behavior. Just commies and anarchists doing what they’ve always done. Sew chaos.
 
Is there real evidence for this?

Honestly this is wishful thinking, an explanation for social unrest that liberals employ to justify oppressive police measures. We’re in the middle of a worsening recession, millions are due to be made homeless and to lose their jobs. All of this definitely comes into play with the recent riots. Ideologically-motivated communists is not enough of an explanation.
 
Last edited:
I never approved of violent demonstrations, not back in the '60s and not now. But it is up to the Seattle police to make arrests and restore the peace, and not federal troops sent by the WH.
That all depends on what the rioters are doing. In Seattle they did their arson on city property and smashed up private businesses. Thus it was local police responsibility.

Why in the world would you object to Fed officers protecting Fed building, especially if local LEO were not taking action?
 
The riots in Seattle and Portland in particular have nothing to do with race. It’s almost all white people. They’re just piggybacking on the current climate to justify their behavior. Just commies and anarchists doing what they’ve always done. Sew chaos.
There is nothing to protest here in Seattle. The police are very tame and the local DA already has them ignoring lower level crimes such as shoplifting, assault, drug use.
 
Are you saying that if the local police cannot quell the violence that we should just let it continue?
 
Provided the local police can handle the situation, it is their responsibility to do so. The Feds should be sent in only as a last resort. I am surprised that more conservatives, who believe in limiting government, do not agree. Whatever happened to states’ rights?
 
Last edited:
Provided the local police can handle the situation, it is their responsibility to do so. The Feds should be sent in only as a last resort. I am surprised that more conservatives, who believe in limiting government, do not agree.
I agree.

However, I question the resolve of the Police and elected officials, not their capabilities.

They don’t seem to want to end this.
 
At what point do we determine that local police can’t handle the situation? How many people have to be assaulted, how many businesses destroyed? It seems to me that Seattle and Portland have both reached the point that the local police cannot stop it.
 
As we all know, that is an excuse for “racism” and nothing more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top