Polish film on the influence of Martin Luther

• Thread starter Thread starter otrrl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it obviously propaganda?
Propaganda: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

The fact that this film is promoting the misleading ideas that Luther (1) had illegitimate children with a “nurse/girlfriend” that he apparently abandoned and (2) that he became a monk to escape punishment for murder all to discredit Luther and therefore the movement he initiated pretty much makes it propaganda.

The fact that this film is promoting the misleading ideas that Luther (1) had illegitimate children with a “nurse/girlfriend” that he apparently abandoned and (2) that he became a monk to escape punishment for murder all to discredit Luther and therefore the movement he initiated pretty much makes it propaganda.
Have yet to see the film & have limited knowledge of Luther’s personal life - is all of this a complete & utter fabrication?

I guess according to some here it was a theory that was discredited. But I wish it were all fabrication, the whole documentary that is, because it describes some pretty horrible things like church property being stolen and given to secular kings, motivating them to convert out of greed to lutheranism, Catholic religious items were desicrated and destroyed, priests and bishops were being killed or forced to convert to Lutheranism. And the common folk were not allowed to have Mass and were killed for trying. Any priest would be automatically killed if discovered.

I guess according to some here it was a theory that was discredited. But I wish it were all fabrication, the whole documentary that is, because it describes some pretty horrible things like church property being stolen and given to secular kings, motivating them to convert out of greed to lutheranism, Catholic religious items were desicrated and destroyed, priests and bishops were being killed or forced to convert to Lutheranism. And the common folk were not allowed to have Mass and were killed for trying. Any priest would be automatically killed if discovered.
If folks want to have a back and forth about who committed what atrocities against whom, that’s already been done, over and over. The Anabaptists may want to get involved regarding atrocities committed against them by both Catholics and Lutherans.

Frankly, I don’t see either side’s innocence during that time, nor do I see the value in bashing each other about it anymore.

40.png
fisherman_carl:
If folks want to have a back and forth about who committed what atrocities against whom, that’s already been done, over and over. The Anabaptists may want to get involved regarding atrocities committed against them by both Catholics and Lutherans.

Frankly, I don’t see either side’s innocence during that time, nor do I see the value in bashing each other about it anymore.
You are so right. A central tenet of the Anabaptist faith is forgiveness, which is foundational to Christ’s message so I doubt you will hear from them… “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” is meant to be practiced in daily life not just mumbled in rote.

Last edited:
You are so right. A central tenet of the Anabaptist faith is forgiveness, which is foundational to Christ’s message so I doubt you will hear from them… “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” is meant to be practiced in daily life not just mumbled in rote.
True. Additionally, those aren’t our trespasses. Those are the trespasses of people dead some 450 years ago. Catholics and Lutherans today are not responsible for them, and it is uncharitable to bash each other for them.

I can understand why Lutherans and other protestants are interested in rehabilitating the image of Luther. I don’t understand why this is a goal for Catholics.

As for this film, it’s getting mentioned a lot lately in part because Timothy Gordon has recommended it. He has spoken of it in at least one TNT episode with Taylor Marshall. Might be worth checking out that conversation.

I can understand why Lutherans and other protestants are interested in rehabilitating the image of Luther. I don’t understand why this is a goal for Catholics.
Me neither , but it also shouldn’t be the goal of Catholics to misrepresent him. We’ve seen this from the likes of O’Hare, Denifle and others. Catholic theologians have long since outgrown this, even though some apologists haven’t. It goes the other way, too.

40.png
gracepoole:
Me neither , but it also shouldn’t be the goal of Catholics to misrepresent him.
Of course. I agree.

I would be interested in what Timothy Gordon and Marshall had to say about it rather than people who have not even watched it talk hear say about it. Timothy was the reason I watched it. There is a lot of information in the film and a lot of it I have heard before. So it is not all inaccurate. If Timothy recommends it, it cannot be all bad.

In addition i think this film came out during the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther and the Protestant Revolution to combat some of the pro Luther things going on. So you have to put it in context. It is fighting the idea that Luther was some great guy who we should be indebted to. Perhaps it went a little too far in its zeal.

In addition i think this film came out during the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther and the Protestant Revolution to combat some of the pro Luther things going on. So you have to put it in context.
Are you talking about the pro Luther things that Catholic theologians were saying?
It is fighting the idea that Luther was some great guy who we should be indebted to. Perhaps it went a little too far in its zeal.
Who, precisely, has asked Catholics to feel indebted to Luther?

Last edited:
Have yet to see the film & have limited knowledge of Luther’s personal life - is all of this a complete & utter fabrication?
I can’t speak to everything in the entire film because I haven’t seen it. However, what has been revealed in this forum (Luther was duelist, a murderer, and a deadbeat dad with children by women other than his wife Katherine) are claims that no reliable historian would ever make.

like church property being stolen and given to secular kings
It was the secular kings who took the property. Protestants would not have had the authority to take the property, it would have had to be given to them by the secular authorities. I’m more familiar with the situation in England. It is true that Henry VIII and Edward VI confiscated massive amounts of church property during the Reformation, but these confiscations were not supported by Protestants. Protestant church leaders wanted the property dedicated to religious causes (such as charitable and educational institutions to replace the monasteries and chantries that had been abolished).
Catholic religious items were desicrated and destroyed
Not by Luther. He was not an iconoclast, and preached that images of saints and crucifixes should be tolerated.

Not by Luther. He was not an iconoclast, and preached that images of saints and crucifixes should be tolerated.
As a protestant I read a biography of Martin Luther and though he was against the destruction of the images of saints and crucifixes, those who followed him or who were influenced by his preaching or what he said, did destroy them.

40.png
ltwin:
As a protestant I read a biography of Martin Luther and though he was against the destruction of the images of saints and crucifixes, those who followed him or who were influenced by his preaching or what he said, did destroy them.
Never on this issue. You’re probably thinking of Karlstadt. Luther never approved of such actions.
https://lutheranreformation.org/history/luther-and-the-iconoclasts/

However, what has been revealed in this forum (Luther was duelist, a murderer, and a deadbeat dad with children by women other than his wife Katherine) are claims that no reliable historian would ever make.
It’s a bizarre claim that I certainly hadn’t heard before. A preliminary search yields this. It appears to be a Lutheran apologetics blog, though the exact page there isn’t very apologetic. It’s actually kind of dry and historical. The writer seems to just dump a bunch of information of what he found in trying to track down this idea that Luther killed a man in a duel and escaped punishment through vows without any editorializing. I too find it weird that the case against him, at least as it’s recounted here, is made up of pretty much exclusively circumstantial evidence… circumstantial evidence that apparently went unnoticed by his Catholic contemporaries fighting tooth and nail to throw pretty much every accusation against the guy. It really does smell of historical revisionism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back